Founded with burial, April 17, 1897, of W. G. English, Father of J. P. and E. M. English; on land patented by the state to J. P. English, October 9, 1897. Title was adopted after post office was named in 1903 for rancher Stanton J. Cone.
. . . — — Map (db m106157) HM
Girlhood home of Mrs. Ima Smith, First Lady of Texas, wife of Governor Preston Smith.
Settlement began here in 1887. The school district was created in 1893, with its early building funded by gifts from friends, including residents of Amarillo . . . — — Map (db m106158) HM
Named in 1903 for J.S. Cone, who helped carry mail here from the nearby town of Emma. Post Office was established same year in general store of R.E. Chapman, who became the first Postmaster. Town once had a school, stores, and churches. Now center . . . — — Map (db m104787) HM
The community of Big Four lies a few miles north of Crosbyton. The W.H. Hames and M.A. Reynolds families moved here in 1902 and 1909, respectively, and four houses were built on land owned by the Morrison brothers around one windmill which supplied . . . — — Map (db m104780) HM
Site of Crosbyton's first bank. In 1909, First State Bank (soon named First National) opened in a new two-story concrete block and stone building, erected by C. B. Livestock Company. For bank, office use.
In 1917, Citizens National Bank (est. . . . — — Map (db m105215) HM
Young and Bexar Territories
Created • Organized
August 21, 1876 • September 20, 1986
Named in honor of
came to Texas in 1845
Commissioner of the General Land
County seat, . . . — — Map (db m105191) HM
Crosby County, created in 1876 and organized 1886, had its first county seat at Estacado (founded 1879 by a colony of Quakers). It was on a mail and stage road, in the northeast corner of the county. Freight hauling of materials was slow. County . . . — — Map (db m105217) HM
Founded 1908 on “Cutting Grounds” of C.B. Livestock Company which built a school, supply store, railroad and inn to encourage settlers. By 1911, had 1,000 citizens, was county seat.
Today is center of rich irrigated farm land. Home . . . — — Map (db m105192) HM
Established in 1909, this cemetery was once part of a 90,000-acre ranch operated by the C. B. Livestock Company. Julian Bassett, part owner of the company and donor of the Crosbyton townsite, also gave the land for this burial ground when James . . . — — Map (db m105165) HM
First to set up a post office and to farm in Crosby County; first to break land and drill a water well on High Plains.
At start of Civil War, he was miner at Pinos Altos, New Mexico and joined in moves to take gold and silver mines for South. . . . — — Map (db m105193) HM
Born at Blum, Texas. Became Sheriff of Crosby County in January 1947. Was killed in line of duty while arresting a bootlegger at Ralls, Texas.
Dedicated to enforcement of law--a man of quiet courage and fearless character.
Father of eight . . . — — Map (db m105169) HM
Site of Crosbyton Inn, first hotel here, built 1908, by C. B. Livestock Company to help promote area for cotton farming. A two-story frame building, it was mecca for travelers and land buyers.
After fire in 1912, hotel rebuilt over original . . . — — Map (db m105219) HM
In 1892 William Percy Lamar (1889-1946) came with his parents from Tarrant County to Crosby County, settling on a 160-acre homestead. He married Sarah Elzina Henson (1892-1963) in 1912. They prospered through farming, . . . — — Map (db m105167) HM
Trail followed by Gen. Ranald Mackenzie, U.S. 4th Cavalry in 1871 frontier campaign. He camped at Dewey Lake after brush with Indians.
In 1872, he was again ordered to ferret out the Comanches.
From his main supply camp on Brazos River . . . — — Map (db m105160) HM
Once an important landmark for early surveys of this area, Dewey Lake got its name after surveyors returned from here to headquarters and found, to their embarrassment, they had not yet named this site. Gallantly, they decided to call it after land . . . — — Map (db m105164) HM
The Pansy Baptist Church was organized in 1905 by J. V. Leatherwood, John Holt, P. H. Leatherwood, Snow Loyd, and J. M. Leatherwood to serve the residents of the Pansy Community. Church services were conducted in the school building until 1916 when . . . — — Map (db m104778) HM
This area of Crosby County was settled in 1898 by the family and relatives of M. G. Leatherwood. As other families began to arrive, the need for a nearby school became apparent. As a result, the Leatherwood Common School District was created in . . . — — Map (db m104777) HM
Law and order for Plains area began here in 1879 with creation of Camp Roberts, first ranger station in Panhandle. Company C of the newly formed Frontier Battalion of Texas Rangers was located here and commanded by Capt. G. W. Arrington, Civil War . . . — — Map (db m105161) HM
Named for tall white mesa that was a landmark on Mackenzie Trail, surveyed in 1871 by U.S. Cavalry scouting for Indians on the frontier. Near the mesa in 1877, frontiersman Henry Clay Smith (1836-1912) built a two-story stone house . . . — — Map (db m104782) HM
One of the historical land marks of this area is the site of the rock house located twelve miles north of Crosbyton in Blanco Canyon. As viewed from the entrance, the Crosby County Memorial Building which was erected in 1958 is a replica of this . . . — — Map (db m105194) HM
Headquarters for the Two Buckle Ranch was built near this site, at Silver Falls, in 1884 by the Kentucky Cattle Raising Company, which had been founded two years earlier by a group of Louisville, Kentucky distillers. Claude Tilford was hired by the . . . — — Map (db m105162) HM
Using a part of -N- range land, C.B. Livestock Company laid out townsite in 1908. This building constructed in 1910 of concrete blocks made in dugout one block east. Housed town's first meat market. In continuous use ever since.
Recorded . . . — — Map (db m105220) HM
Founded when Crosbyton-South Plains Railway ran first train here, April 10, 1911. Named for Lorenzo Dow, employee of C. B. Livestock Company, which promoted the town, and in 1914 encouraged area to plant cotton. Incorporated in 1924.
Now a . . . — — Map (db m106236) HM
In 1876, the Texas Legislature created the Crosby Land District, which included several present-day Panhandle counties. Ranchers soon began establishing large ranches throughout the region, and in 1890, brothers Avery, John Stuart, Howard and . . . — — Map (db m106237) HM
A town founded in 1879 by a colony of English Quakers under the leadership of Isaac Paris Cox who purchased for them 82 sections of land. The town, first named Marietta in honor of Mary Cox, wife of the leader, was renamed Estacado in 1886 when . . . — — Map (db m106238) HM
Founded by John R. Ralls, who donated land for a townsite. He erected greater part of the business district and gave free sites plus much of the cost of building each church in town.
In 1911, he contributed 12 acres for school site. He also . . . — — Map (db m106203) HM
In the spring of 1891, merchants R.L. Stringfellow and H.E. Hume of nearby Estacado founded the town of Emma, named in honor of Stringfellow's future wife, Emma Savior (or Sevall). The two men organized a general store and laid out the townsite, . . . — — Map (db m106206) HM
Burial site of 12 Civil War veterans and County's first settlers, H. C. and Elizabeth Smith (died 1912 and 1925). Established in 1891 on land donated by J. W. Holt for the grave of his brother-in-law, Levi Jones. Land was bought by R. L. and R. R. . . . — — Map (db m106207) HM
The largest of more than two blocks of business houses built between 1915 and 1919 by John R. Ralls, founder of this town. Used by the First National Bank which closed in 1930; then housed the Southwestern Public Service office until 1964.
. . . — — Map (db m106205) HM
The original five acre tract of land for this burial ground was purchased from the C.B. Livestock Co. on September 7, 1915, four years after the town of Ralls was founded. The cemetery was first used for the interment of W.H. Shell (d. 1915). The . . . — — Map (db m106234) HM