Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Culberson County Texas Historical Markers

 
Butterfield Overland Mail / The Pinery Station Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, October 26, 2012
Butterfield Overland Mail / The Pinery Station Marker
Texas (Culberson County), Pine Springs — Butterfield Overland Mail The Pinery Station
Butterfield Overland Mail First Overland Mail Route from St. Louis, Missouri to San Francisco, California. As a forerunner of the Pony Express and Transcontinental Railroad, the Butterfield Overland Mail was the first successful . . . — Map (db m61507) HM
Texas (Culberson County), Pine Springs — Groundbreaking for the Pine Springs Visitor Center Guadalupe Mountains National Park
We are not recognizing development. We are recognizing another important link in bringing others to know and love this land, its plants and animals, and its human history. When completed, this new visitor center will greet many who will, for the . . . — Map (db m30337) HM
Texas (Culberson County), Pine Springs — 4759 — Guadalupe Peak
Guadalupe Peak, Texas' highest mountain at 8,751 feet, dominates one of the most scenic and least-known hinterlands of the old frontier. It lies behind and to the right of 8,078-foot El Capitan, the sheer cliff that rises more than 3,000 feet above . . . — Map (db m4759) HM
Texas (Culberson County), Pine Springs — 7930 — Guadalupe Peak
Guadalupe Peak, Texas' highest mountain at 8,749 feet above see level, dominates one of the most scenic and least-known areas of the state. It lies behind and to the right of El Capitan (8,078 feet), the sheer wall that rises more than 3,000 feet . . . — Map (db m61490) HM
Texas (Culberson County), Pine Springs — Stephen Tyng Mather July 4, 1867 - Jan. 22, 1930
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service. Defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — Map (db m60611) HM
Texas (Culberson County), Pine Springs — The "Committee of Five"
The U.S. Highway 180 Association salutes the inspiring leadership and dedication of the "Committee of Five" for their untiring efforts in the development and promotion of the Guadalupe Mountains National Park. Dedicated to Glenn Biggs of Abilene, . . . — Map (db m30348) HM
Texas (Culberson County), Pine Springs — The Airmen
Dedicated to the Airmen who, like the stage drivers before them, challenged the elements through this pass with the pioneer spirit and courage which resulted in a vast system of airline transport known as "American Airlines". . . . — Map (db m30349) HM
Texas (Culberson County), Pine Springs — 7929 — The Pinery
. . . — Map (db m30350) HM
Texas (Culberson County), Van Horn — 7925 — Clark Hotel
First permanent structure in Van Horn. Earliest portion (built 1901) housed original city post office. Main portion was built in 1905-06 by John Cox of concrete blocks handmade by crew on site. In 1911-12, when Culberson was newly organized, . . . — Map (db m60763) HM
Texas (Culberson County), Van Horn — 7934 — Colonel David Culberson Culberson County
(Front): Native Georgian. Came to Texas 1856. Although opposed to secession he aided in raising 18th Texas Infantry as Lt. Colonel, C.S.A. Made commanding Colonel of 18th in 1862. After service in Vicksburg area broken health forced . . . — Map (db m44613) HM
Texas (Culberson County), Van Horn — 7931 — Culberson County
Formed from El Paso County; Created March 10, 1911; Organized April 18, 1911; Named for David B. Culberson 1830-1903 famous constitutional lawyer, a Confederate officer, member of the Texas legislature, member of the United States congress; Van . . . — Map (db m43479) HM
Texas (Culberson County), Van Horn — 7936 — Figure 2 Ranch
The lands which now lie within the boundaries of the Figure 2 Ranch were occupied in the 19th century by nomadic Native American tribes. One of the last battles between Texas Rangers and Apache Indians occurred in the mountains west of this site in . . . — Map (db m52722) HM
Texas (Culberson County), Van Horn — 7932 — Original Culberson County Jail
In order to provide local law enforcement in the wake of Mexican bandit attacks, Culberson County was organized in 1911. The following year the county commissioners accepted plans for construction of this red brick jail. Although prisoners at times . . . — Map (db m60765) HM
Texas (Culberson County), Van Horn — 7928 — Presbyterian Church
U.S. 1902. First church building erected in Van Horn. This was used by all faiths until other churches were built. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964Map (db m60764) HM
Texas (Culberson County), Van Horn — 12657 — San Antonio-California Trail (Three Miles South)
One of Texas' first cross-country wagon trails. The San Antonio-El Paso section of this route was surveyed in 1848 by a party under the intrepid Indian fighter Jack Hays. Used first by emigrants and gold-seekers, it became part of the San . . . — Map (db m73317) HM
Texas (Culberson County), Van Horn — 7926 — Van Horn Wells (One-Half Mile West)
Only dependable water supply in miles of arid terrain. Used by Indians for centuries. Named for either Maj. Jefferson Van Horne (who passed here en route to establish fort at El Paso, in 1849), or for Lt. J.J. Van Horn (stationed here to fight . . . — Map (db m73296) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement