In 1939 when the Nazis threatened world conquest, the United States had immediate need for thousands of pilots - more than could be trained at military fields alone. Aid was enlisted from civilian flying schools. One field was established in Cuero . . . — — Map (db m132551) HM
Community leader and businessman Charles A. Schlinke played a vital role in the development of DeWitt County. Born in Posen, Germany, Schlinke immigrated to the United States with family in 1869, following his father, who settled in Weesatche . . . — — Map (db m132625) HM
Created in 1846, DeWitt County was named for Empresario Green DeWitt. The county seat, originally at Cameron, was moved in 1848 to the pioneer town of Clinton, named for DeWitt's son. County government returned briefly to Cameron, but Clinton again . . . — — Map (db m122101) HM
One of most respected schools in Texas in its day. Founded by the Rev. John Van Epps Covey (1821-1898), noted educator and minister. Embraced primary through collegiate levels, accepting only students over 12 years old for college work. Broad course . . . — — Map (db m125622) HM
On Dec. 25, 1871, Cuero Land and Immigration Company was formed to develop 4,128 acres of land from J. A. Valdez y Gonzales League (granted 1833 by Mexico). Company charter was issued Feb. 7, 1872. There were four founders and stockholders of . . . — — Map (db m132550) HM
De Witt County organized in 1846 with Cameron as the first seat of government. Clinton was county seat from 1850 to 1876, when its two-story frame courthouse was moved to the new seat of Cuero. That building burned in April 1894. The present . . . — — Map (db m132624) HM
Surgeon of Waul's Legion, Confederate Army.
Came to Texas about 1850. In 1856 got M.D. degree in Philadelphia. During Civil War, saved many lives, but took typhoid, which contributed to loss of his eyesight. After blindness, practiced rest of . . . — — Map (db m125623) HM
This bandstand, successor to earlier ones in Cuero, is a replica of the first one erected in this park - used for concerts, patriotic meetings, bazaars, ice cream socials, political rallies, street dances.
Cuero musicians won renown as official . . . — — Map (db m132549) HM
On July 8, 1849, a group of settlers gathered together under a live oak tree at the home of Dr. Robert and Mary C. Trigg Peebles to form the Live Oak Presbyterian Church, the first Presbyterian congregation in DeWitt County. Led by the Rev. William . . . — — Map (db m132588) HM
Circuit riders held worship services for Methodists in the Cuero Creek area as early as 1841. It was not until after Cuero's incorporation in 1873, however, that a permanent Methodist church was founded here. Earliest records report eight members on . . . — — Map (db m132586) HM
In 1839 or 1840 at the junction of the La Grange - La Bahia and Victoria - Gonzales Roads (.5 miles east), Daniel Boone Friar (1800-58) built a home and store that served as a social, political, transportation, and trade center for early De Witt . . . — — Map (db m125624) HM
Educated in stern military schools of Prussia. Was in French Legion and Army of Turkey. Knighted in Spain after work in Carlist Wars. Came to Texas 1845. In Mexican War 1846-47. Later became Port of Lavaca customs . . . — — Map (db m132585) HM
Organized in 1874. First chapel was moved from Port Lavaca; present church, built 1889, was dedicated May 25, 1890, when the Rev. George Hinson was rector.
Gothic architecture with clapboard siding, walnut interior, cedar shingle roof. . . . — — Map (db m132590) HM
This colonial revival house was built about 1880 for the family of David H. Heaton, owner of Cuero's first drugstore. In 1924 it was purchased by prominent civic leader Charles G. Breeden, who had it remodeled to its current appearance shortly . . . — — Map (db m132620) HM
Members of the Hopkins family came to De Witt County in 1854 as slaves of Judge Henry Clay Pleasants (d. 1899). They worked for a time on a Gonzales County plantation and returned to this area after the Civil War as freedmen. In 1872 Henry Hopkins . . . — — Map (db m122056) HM
"Uncle Jimmy the Peacemaker." Son of Sgt. James Turner Smith, veteran of American Revolution.
Born and educated in North Carolina. Lived for 32 years in Tennessee, where he taught James K. Polk, later a U.S. President.
Taught first school . . . — — Map (db m132587) HM
In 1864, in response to the tensions surrounding the American Civil War, Justus Henry Rathbone organized the Knights of Pythias, a fraternal order. The first Texas lodge, in Houston, was assembled in 1872; two years later, the Grand Lodge of Texas . . . — — Map (db m132591) HM
Born in Cuero, Leonard Roy Harmon enlisted in the U.S. Navy in Houston in June 1939. After training in Norfolk, Virginia, he reported for duty on the cruiser “U.S.S. San Francisco” and advanced to Mess Attendant First Class.
During . . . — — Map (db m34628) HM
From site near here, 1800 Longhorns were moved out April 1, 1866, on first trail drive from this area to northern markets. Crockett Cardwell, owner of cattle bed ground, had gathered the herd. The trail boss was Thornton Chisholm, a native of DeWitt . . . — — Map (db m125625) HM
From Longhorn cattle gathering site, 1800 Longhorns were headed up and moved out of Cardwell Flats near here on April 1, 1866 on first Chisholm cattle drive to northern markets. Crockett Cardwell, owner of cattle bedground had gathered the herd with . . . — — Map (db m132626) HM
Harvard graduate and attorney David Cogswell Proctor established his law career in Indianola, Texas, in the late 1840s. He opened a second firm in 1880 in Cuero, fortunately before the 1886 hurricane that destroyed much of Indianola. Finding his . . . — — Map (db m132621) HM
The great Gulf storm of 1875 in Indianola brought many Lutherans to Cuero. By 1880 German Lutherans were meeting for services conducted by pastors from nearby communities. The 1886 destruction of Indianola brought more Lutherans, and St. Mark's was . . . — — Map (db m132559) HM
The Rt. Rev. Anthony Dominic Pellicer, first Bishop of San Antonio, established St. Michael's Parish in 1875, after the Cuero Land and Immigration Co. donated this site for a church. The name was chosen in memory of Michael O'Brien, whose widow was . . . — — Map (db m132589) HM
Built in 1870s by a key man in the activities and ideology that gave the town of Cuero its economic leadership role in late 19th century South Texas.
Edward Mügge (1839-97), a native of Germany, arrived in the now-extinct seaport of . . . — — Map (db m132622) HM
Extending 45 miles along the Guadalupe River Basin, Cuero I Archeological District was created to define and preserve cultural resources threatened by a proposed reservoir. Archeological investigation in 1972-73 revealed 352 significant prehistoric . . . — — Map (db m61047) HM
Built of hand-quarried native stone in 1856 by V. Hoch, a settler. Served as an inn on the Austin-Indianola Stage Road.
While drivers changed four-horse teams, the passengers welcomed the chance to enjoy the inn's food and hospitality. — — Map (db m61044) HM
Created March 24, 1846
from Gonzales, Victoria
and Goliad counties;
Organized July 13, 1846,
with Cuero as the county seat
Named in honor of
Green De Witt
A Texas Empresario
Born in Kentucky September 16, 1797
Died in . . . — — Map (db m131927) HM
The small farming community of Shiloh began about 1847 with settlement by the McBride, Hamilton, McFarland, Odom, Anderson, and Woods families. In 1851 John Keith Rankin helped organize a Methodist Episcopal Church, whose members erected a building . . . — — Map (db m132373) HM