Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Deaf Smith County Texas Historical Markers

 
Town of Dawn Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, May 3, 2012
Town of Dawn Marker
Texas (Deaf Smith County), Dawn — 5527 — Town of Dawn
Had second post office in county, in 1889. Named by pioneers who saw here the “Dawning of a New Country.” Santa Fe Railroad Station House (a box car) was first building on site, 1905. Town was developed by W.E. Neal and sons in 1914, . . . — Map (db m56019) HM
Texas (Deaf Smith County), Hereford — 1195 — Deaf Smith County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created August 21, 1876 Organized October 3, 1890 Named in honor of Erastus “Deaf” Smith 1787-1837 Came to Texas in 1821 Rendered valuable service as a scout and spy during . . . — Map (db m56022) HM
Texas (Deaf Smith County), Hereford — 1196 — Deaf Smith Courthouse 1910
Brick with marble veneer and interior. Second marble courthouse built in U.S. Cost was $125,000. After hotly-contested bond issue election, Judge John Slaton and winners paraded down Main Street behind the band. Recorded Texas . . . — Map (db m56023) HM
Texas (Deaf Smith County), Hereford — 4036 — Pioneer Windmill
A wind-driven machine for pumping water. Its use made gardening easier and led to irrigated farming on arid High Plains. With barbed wire, it enabled settlers and stockmen to penetrate region in 1870s. Town had name “Windmill City” . . . — Map (db m56021) HM
Texas (Deaf Smith County), Hereford — 4123 — Prisoner of War Camp Chapel (3.5 MI.S)
A prisoner of war camp, used primarily for Italian soldiers, was in operation near this site during World War II. Known as the Hereford Military Reservation and Reception Center, it was first used in 1943 for prisoners captured in an invasion of . . . — Map (db m56025) HM
Texas (Deaf Smith County), Wildorado — 16428 — Palo Duro Baptist Church
Palo Duro Baptist Church has its origins in Union School, which was built by settlers around 1893. Area residents held a non-denominational Sunday school in the facility. In 1901, Baptists living in the Palo Duro community, named for the creek that . . . — Map (db m91731) HM
Texas (Deaf Smith County), Wildorado — 13076 — Palo Duro Wildorado Cemetery
Early settlers to this area included the J.C. Womble family, which came in January 1892. The next year, the community obtained land on which to build a schoolhouse, known as the Union School. In May 1893, George D. Whitfield, a young cowboy, was . . . — Map (db m91719) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement