Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Donley County Texas Historical Markers

 
The Clarendon News Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, November 16, 2016
The Clarendon News Marker
Texas (Donley County), Clarendon — 12977 — The Clarendon News
The town of Clarendon began with an effort led by the Rev. Lewis H. Carhart as he strived to create a colony based on Christianity, temperance and education. To promote the settlement, he created The Clarendon News, publishing the first . . . — Map (db m100419) HM
Texas (Donley County), Clarendon — 480 — Boydstun Cemetery
Pioneer area settler Henry S. Boydstun (1858-1942), a native of Illinois, moved his family to this area in 1890. That year, his infant son, Eddie, died and was buried in the southwest corner of the family farm. In 1898, Boydstun deeded two acres at . . . — Map (db m100418) HM
Texas (Donley County), Clarendon — 854 — Church of St. John Baptist
Oldest church continuously in use (in earliest Episcopal parish) in the Texas Panhandle. The first services were held by the Rev. Mr. Townsend of Dallas Diocese in the J. B. McClelland Ranch house, Nov. 1877. On site given 1891 by Isaac W. Carhart, . . . — Map (db m100427) HM
Texas (Donley County), Clarendon — 1250 — Donley County
Formed from Young and Bexar territories Created Organized August 21, 1876 March 22, 1882 Named in honor of Stockton P. Donley 1821 – 1871 a Confederate officer elected to the Texas Supreme Bench in 1866 . . . — Map (db m96829) HM
Texas (Donley County), Clarendon — 13596 — Donley County Courthouse
Designed by the architectural firm of Bulger and Rapp, and built by Troutman Brothers Contractors, both of Trinidad, Colorado, this distinctive public building opened in November 1891. The original Romanesque Revival design included prominent . . . — Map (db m96676) HM
Texas (Donley County), Clarendon — 1884 — First United Methodist Church of Clarendon
When the Rev. Lewis H. Carhart, a Methodist minister, founded Clarendon, he envisioned it as a religious and educational center. The town was established in 1878 near the junction of Carroll Creek and the Salt Fork of the Red River, six miles north . . . — Map (db m100426) HM
Texas (Donley County), Clarendon — 13942 — Funeral Business in Clarendon
For more than a century, this site has been the location of a funeral home, a vital community business serving a widespread area of the Panhandle. Kentucky native Pleasant Andrew Buntin (1849-1941) brought his family to Texas in 1879, settling first . . . — Map (db m96828) HM
Texas (Donley County), Clarendon — 12613 — Jericho Cemetery (1 mile west)
Settlement of this area of Donley County began in the late 19th century, before the town of Jericho was founded as a station on the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf rail line about 1902. Early community burials took place in the pasture near this site, . . . — Map (db m100417) HM
Texas (Donley County), Clarendon — 4403 — S. W. Lowe House
There are two markers on a single post Local merchants J. G. and F. D. Martin built this house in 1904. Rancher James M. Calhoun owned the property from 1910 to 1914 and cattleman Robert H. Muir from 1914 to 1926. Muir sold the residence . . . — Map (db m100428) HM
Texas (Donley County), Clarendon — 14341 — St. Mary's Catholic Church
The community of Clarendon was established in 1878 as a Protestant community by Methodist Minister Lewis Henry Carhart. The construction of the Fort Worth-Denver railway in the Panhandle in 1887, and the selection of Clarendon as a division point on . . . — Map (db m100430) HM
Texas (Donley County), Clarendon — 18141 — St. Stephen's Baptist Church
Following the relocation of Clarendon along the railroad in 1887, the African American population began to grow. By the 1890s, African Americans were searching for their own place of worship in the growing community. For a time, they gathered in . . . — Map (db m100421) HM
Texas (Donley County), Clarendon — 5127 — Stockton P. Donley County Named for Texas Confederate 1821 — 1871
County named for Texas Confederate Stockton P. Donley 1821 - 1871 Came to Texas from Kentucky 1846. Dist. Attorney 1853. Enlisted private 7th Tex. Infantry 1861, made Lieutenant. Captured with regiment after bitter fight at Seige Fort Donelson Tenn. . . . — Map (db m96827) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement