Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Eastland County Texas Historical Markers

 
Cisco College Marker next to Administration Building image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, January 22, 2018
Cisco College Marker next to Administration Building
Texas (Eastland County), Cisco — 16523 — Cisco College
Near Rockwell Drive 0.2 miles west of State Highway 6, on the right when traveling west.
O.C. Britton opened Cisco’s first college in 1909, with a campus established on 212 acres of the Houston and Texas Central Railroad Survey. The school closed after the onset of World War I, and the site was used by a series of three later colleges . . . — Map (db m113520) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Cisco — 17088 — Dothan Cemetery
On County Road 126 0.6 miles north of Farm to Market Road 2945, on the right when traveling north.
The Texas and Pacific Railway built the Delmar depot near here in 1880 before rail activity shifted to Red Gap (later Cisco). A new community named Dothan formed and gained a post office in 1902. Jim and Manirval (Short) Dunaway, who settled here in . . . — Map (db m113527) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Cisco — 1621 — First Baptist Church of Cisco
Near Avenue E at W. 9th Street, on the right when traveling north.
The Rev. C.G. Stephens, founder of Red Gap community (1 mi. W), joined the Rev. W.B. Cobb in 1878 to organize the Red Gap Baptist Church. Forerunner of the First Baptist Church of Cisco, the Red Gap congregation had 13 charter members who met in a . . . — Map (db m113524) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Cisco — 1782 — First National Bank
Near Conrad Hilton Boulevard north of E. 8th Street, on the left when traveling north.
Scene of daring Santa Claus Bank Robbery, Dec. 23, 1927.      During Christmas festivities, costumed Santa and three fellow bandits looted bank of $12,200 cash, $150,000 in securities. They escaped through gun battle with two little girls as . . . — Map (db m113523) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Cisco — 1831 — First Presbyterian Church of Cisco
Near W. 6th Street at Avenue H, on the right when traveling west.
When the town of Cisco was platted in May 1881, land at the corner of Eighth Street and Avenue G was set aside for use by a Presbyterian congregation. In August of that same year, local residents Lillie Hightower, Mrs. F.F. Lattimer, Mrs. J.A. Lee, . . . — Map (db m113521) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Cisco — 1883 — First United Methodist Church of Cisco
Near Avenue H at W. 8th Street, on the left when traveling south.
The Rev. Lamb Trimble, a Methodist circuit rider, organized this church at Red Gap (two miles west) in 1880. The four charter members met in the home of M.V. Mitchell, a sheep rancher. The congregation moved to Cisco one year later when the city was . . . — Map (db m113525) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Cisco — 17003 — Oakwood Cemetery
Near W. 2nd Street at Avenue J.
Dolphin William Bint (1845-1883) came to the United States from England in 1876 and settled in Eastland County in the Red Gap community. While on a journey to Fort Worth to buy lumber for their home, his wife gave birth to a stillborn son. His . . . — Map (db m113526) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Cisco — 3430 — Old Mobley Hotel
Near Conrad Hilton Boulevard (State Highway 6) at 4th Street, on the right when traveling north.
First hotel owned by Conrad Hilton, who proceeded to become “The World’s Foremost Innkeeper”.      Built in 1916 by H.L. Mobley, a northerner, who sold out (1919) during Cisco’s great oil boom to Hilton, then a 32-year-old . . . — Map (db m113519) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Cisco — 17629 — Scranton Cemetery
Near County Road 147 at County Road 151, on the right when traveling south.
Settled in the 1870s, the Scranton community grew to include a post office, stores, a cotton gin, blacksmith, school and academy. In Oct. 1896, Joseph Jackson Ray and Sarah Frances (Morgan) Ray donated land for a Baptist church and graveyard. The . . . — Map (db m80071) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Cisco — 4616 — Site of Scranton Academy
Near Farm to Market Road 1864 at County Road 151.
A private, co-educational school organized in 1903 to augment Scranton Public School (opened 1887).      Scranton, a small farming-ranching community, was only 13 years old when citizens founded the academy, by public subscription. The school . . . — Map (db m79954) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Cisco — The Bankhead Highway
Near W. 7th Street at Avenue E, on the right when traveling west.
The Bankhead National Highway, from Washington, D.C. to San Diego, California, was the nation’s first all-weather, coast-to-coast highway. The southern road skirted the western mountains and was largely free from ice and snow, so it could be used . . . — Map (db m113522) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Eastland — 676 — Camp Salmon / Texas Civil War Frontier DefenseC.S.A. / 1861 — 1865
On South Lamar Street at West Commerce Street, on the left when traveling south on South Lamar Street.
Front Camp Salmon C.S.A. Guarding the frontier during the Civil War, this camp was located 17 mi. west, 6 mi. north. Established as part of a chain of posts a day's horseback ride apart stretching from Red River to . . . — Map (db m105459) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Eastland — 1040 — Connellee - Majestic Theatre
Near N. Lamar Street north of W. Main Street, on the left when traveling north.
Built in 1920 by C.U. Connellee, the “Father of Eastland”, this theatre hosted numerous road shows, musical performances, and plays, and was a noted showplace for many years. Purchased by Interstate Theatres in 1946, the building was . . . — Map (db m113561) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Eastland — 13711 — Early Banking in Eastland
On South Seaman Street at East Commerce Street, on the right when traveling north on South Seaman Street.
The evolution of Eastland banks reflects local economic conditions and global influences. Soon after the Texas and Pacific Railway reached town in October 1880, a Mr. Berry of Stephenville opened the first bank in Eastland in Jacob Alexander's dry . . . — Map (db m105256) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Eastland — 1351 — Early Settlers of Eastland County
On South Lamar Street at West Olive Street, on the right when traveling north on South Lamar Street.
First known Eastland area inhabitant was Frank Sanchez (d. 1867), who grazed herds here in the 1850s. The United States in 1853 established Army posts at Fort Phantom Hill, in present Taylor County, and Fort Belknap, in present Young County, giving . . . — Map (db m105242) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Eastland — 1370 — Eastland
On South Seaman Street (Texas Route 6) at West Commerce Street, on the right when traveling south on South Seaman Street.
County seat, Eastland County. Named for William M. Eastland—Texas War for Independence hero who was in Mier Expedition against Mexico, and was executed in "Black Bean" lottery at Rancho Salado in 1842. Most noted early local people were . . . — Map (db m105247) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Eastland — 16983 — Eastland County Courthouse
On South Seaman Street (Texas Route 6) at West Commerce Street, on the right when traveling south on South Seaman Street.
The Texas Legislature created Eastland County in 1858, but sparse settlement delayed organization until 1873, when Merriman (8 mi. NE) became the first county seat. Charles Connellee and Jack Daugherty platted the new town of Eastland near the . . . — Map (db m105245) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Eastland — Eastland County World War I Memorial
On W. Commerce Street at S. Lamar Street, on the right when traveling west on W. Commerce Street.
Erected by Civic League in memory of those from Eastland Co who made supreme sacrifice in World War Lewis Alexander Dulin • Dennis George Perdue • Winter Daniels • James Lee Miller • James B. Wright • EdgarA. Bailey • Ernest Clyde Dunnam • . . . — Map (db m113563) WM
Texas (Eastland County), Eastland — 13618 — First Christian Church
Near South Lamar Street at West Olive Street.
First Christian Church organized in Eastland in 1878 under the Rev. Cyrus Scarborough. There were a number of important Eastland leaders, including city founders, among the church’s early membership. In 1886, the congregation moved from the county . . . — Map (db m105243) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Eastland — 1887 — First United Methodist Church of Eastland
Near S. Mulberry Street at W. Olive Street, on the right when traveling south.
Methodist worship services were held in Eastland County as early as 1865. Soon after the town of Eastland was laid out in 1875, Methodists began meeting in a small log house. The congregation was organized and served for a time by the Rev. Melville . . . — Map (db m113564) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Eastland — 2377 — Hargus Farm
On I-20 Access Road (Northside) 0.1 miles west of Main Street (Texas Highway 112), on the right when traveling west.
North Carolina native Larry Hargus (1810-87) and his wife Mary (Corder) (1824-1910) came to Eastland County in 1879. In 1881 they bought the original tract of their farm at this site from C.U. Connellee, a founder of Eastland. Members of the Hargus . . . — Map (db m97804) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Eastland — Last Mob Lynching in the State of Texas
On W. White Street at N. Mulberry Street, on the right when traveling east on W. White Street.
At this site, on Tuesday night, Nov. 19, 1929, Marshall Ratliff was hung from a utility pole guy wire until dead before a crowd of about 1,500 people. Ratliff was also known as the Santa Claus Robber for his dressing as Santa Claus and leading a . . . — Map (db m113560) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Eastland — The Bankhead Highway
On South Seaman Street (Texas Route 112) at East Commerce Street, on the right when traveling north on South Seaman Street.
The Bankhead National Highway, from Washington, D.C. to San Diego, California, was the nation’s first all-weather, coast-to-coast highway. The southern road skirted the western mountains and was largely free from ice and snow, so it could be used . . . — Map (db m105259) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Ranger — 18214 — Bankhead Highway Through Eastland County
Near Bankhead Highway 0.5 miles north of Interstate 20, on the right when traveling east.
Early 20th century development of the automobile led to major road system improvements throughout the United States. Senator John H. Bankhead of Alabama sponsored the 1916 Federal Aid Road Act, which supplied matching funds to states to upgrade . . . — Map (db m93962) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Ranger — 11853 — Merriman Baptist Church
Near Farm to Market Road 2461 1 mile south of Interstate 20, on the left when traveling south.
Local Baptists met in private homes for many years between the nomination of Merriman as the county seat in 1874 and the organization of the Merriman Baptist Church in 1892. The charter members were Edmond Duncan, Fannie Duncan, Josie Duncan, Ozella . . . — Map (db m97768) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Ranger — 3347 — Merriman Cemetery
Near Farm to Market Road 2461 1 mile south of Interstate 20, on the left when traveling south.
According to local tradition this site was established as a community graveyard about 1873, the year Eastland County was organized and one year prior to the community of Merriman’s selection as county seat. Although there are many unmarked . . . — Map (db m97769) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Ranger — 13715 — Ranger Municipal Airport
Near Oddie Street 0.1 miles south of Vespasian Avenue.
The Texas Department of Transportation’s Aviation Division lists this field as the third oldest operating airport in the state. The earliest documentation for an airplane landing in Ranger was on November 24, 1911, when Robert G. Fowler landed his . . . — Map (db m98129) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Ranger — Ranger Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Near State Highway 254 at Garrett Street.
Larry J. Rodgers KIA - 17 March 68 Vietnam Combat Veterans 1959-1975 Melvin J. Alexander • Jerry Anderson • James L. Barnes • Fred M. Barrett • John Barrett, Jr. • Charles E. Bonney • Billy C. Brister • A. Rankin Britt • Phillip . . . — Map (db m98395) WM
Texas (Eastland County), Ranger — 4287 — Roaring Ranger
On S. Commerce Street south of Main Street, on the left when traveling south.
Boom of high excitement and strategic importance. When oil demand was high during World War I, Texas Pacific Coal Company General Manager W.K. Gordon, a believer in deep drilling, persuaded his company to make the venture that started Ranger’s oil . . . — Map (db m98130) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Ranger — 1804 — Site of First Oil Well Drilled in Eastland County
On Loop State Highway 254 at Main Street, on the left when traveling north on State Highway 254.
The J.H. McCleskey No. 1 Discovery Well of the Ranger Pool was drilled by Warren Wagner under the supervision of W.K. Gordon of the Texas Pacific Coal and Oil Company, July 2 - October 17, 1917. Initial production was three million feet of gas. . . . — Map (db m98133) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Ranger — The Bankhead Highway
On S. Commerce Street south of Main Street, on the left when traveling south.
The Bankhead National Highway, from Washington, D.C. to San Diego, California, was the nation’s first all-weather, coast-to-coast highway. The southern road skirted the western mountains and was largely free from ice and snow, so it could be used . . . — Map (db m98132) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Ranger — Well Number 19
Near S. Commerce Street near Main Street, on the left when traveling south.
This standard cable tool rig and pumping unit came from the Ranger McCleskey Sand Unit, Well Number 19, located approximately 3 miles west of Ranger, Texas. This well was drilled by John Markham in September 1919. It was completed at a depth of 3459 . . . — Map (db m98131) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Rising Star — 1893 — First United Methodist Church of Rising Star
On S. Anderson Street at W. College Street (Texas Highway 36), on the right when traveling south on S. Anderson Street.
Rising Star was only a sparsely settled community when schoolteacher James Irby organized this congregation in 1879. The Rev. L.S. Chamberlain of Sipe Springs led the first service, which was attended by Irby, his wife Sallie, and Dennis Bond, in a . . . — Map (db m89575) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Rising Star — 13426 — Pioneer Cemetery
Near State Highway 36 at County Road 247, on the right when traveling east.
Tradition holds that Captain A.M. Curry suggested the name for the Pioneer community, established in 1883. Bill Smith became its first postmaster in 1885. The burial here of Mrs. S.A. Briggs (believed to be Catherine P. Owsley Briggs) in 1879, . . . — Map (db m79952) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Rising Star — Pioneer Cemetery War Memorial
Near State Highway 36 at County Road 247, on the right when traveling east.
In Memory Of The Men Of The Pioneer Community Who Gave Their Lives For God And Country World War I Sam Marshall • Noah Ross World War II Earl Botts • Foster Cash • Raymond Dillard • Buster Fleming • Billie Flippin • Marion . . . — Map (db m79951) WM
Texas (Eastland County), Rising Star — 4274 — Rising Star
On W. College Street (State Highway 36) west of Cooper Street, on the right when traveling west.
First settlers—families of Andrew Agnew, Isaac Agnew, Fletcher Fields, David McKinley, Allis Smith and W.W. Smith—arrived in a wagon train from Gregg County, Jan. 6, 1876. Area was known for hardships: Indian raids, vigilante activities, . . . — Map (db m89572) HM
Texas (Eastland County), Rising Star — Rising Star Area Veterans Memorial
On W. College Street (State Highway 36) west of Cooper Street, on the right when traveling west.
In Memory of the Veterans who so courageously sacrificed to insure freedom for all Americans Pillars of Stone Pillars of our community We honor our Veterans Placed in the Year of our Lord 2004 In the . . . — Map (db m89573) WM

37 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement