Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Falls County Texas Historical Markers

 
North Prairie School Marker vicinity image, Touch for more information
By QuesterMark, June 26, 2016
North Prairie School Marker vicinity
Texas (Falls County), Chilton — 11873 — North Prairie SchoolSite Of
On Golinda Drive (U.S. 77) north of County Road 466A, on the right when traveling north.
On June 8, 1896, the citizens of North Prairie petitioned the Falls County Commissioners Court for a community school district, and North Prairie School District No. 65 was created. In 1910 a 2-room school housed two teachers and about 20 students. . . . — Map (db m108510) HM
Texas (Falls County), Lott — 863 — Church of the Visitation
On County Route 3000, on the right when traveling north.
German natives who settled originally in Colorado County came here in 1879 looking for better land. Pleased with the soil and location, they brought their families and immediately purchased 100 acres for a church and school. The earliest Mass was . . . — Map (db m125272) HM
Texas (Falls County), Lott — 16234 — St. Mary's Cemetery
On County Highway 3000, on the left when traveling north.
St. Mary's Cemetery was founded in 1883 by German families who had recently settled in the area and named their community "Westphalia," after their German home province. Casper Hoelscher, Frank Wunsch, Theodore Rabroker, J.G. Bockholt and Frank . . . — Map (db m125442) HM
Texas (Falls County), Lott — 5772 — Westphalia Little School
On County Road 3000 0.3 miles north of State Highway 320, on the right when traveling north.
Plans for the establishment of a school to serve the German Catholic community of Westphalia began soon after the earliest settlers arrived here in 1879. Under the direction of the first trustees, Anton Jansing, Joseph Hoelscher,and Stanislaus . . . — Map (db m125359) HM
Texas (Falls County), Marlin — 1563 — Falls of the Brazos River
Near Farm to Market Road 712 west of County Road 301, on the left when traveling west.
When Anglo-Americans began to settle in Texas, the falls of the Brazos were located 2 miles southwest of here. At that time, the water fell about 10 feet over a rocky ledge. The falls served the Indians and early settlers as a trail landmark, . . . — Map (db m84668) HM
Texas (Falls County), Marlin — 2568 — Hot Mineral Water
On Coleman Street at Heritage Row, on the right when traveling west on Coleman Street.
A well drilled on this site in 1892, in an effort to secure a public water supply, produced 48,000 gallons of hot mineral water daily from an artesian deposit underlying the area. At first believed unfit for human use, analysis proved the water . . . — Map (db m109028) HM
Texas (Falls County), Marlin — 556 — Site of Bucksnort
On Farm to Market Road 712 0.4 miles east of Old Falls Road (County Route 287), on the right when traveling west.
This area was first settled in 1837 by members of the Marlin and Menefee families. The settlement grew steadily, and for a time was known as Jarett Menefee's Supply Station. By the 1840s the village boasted a school, general store, blacksmith shop, . . . — Map (db m84669) HM
Texas (Falls County), Perry — 2630 — Indian Battlefield
On State Highway 6 at County Route 112, on the right when traveling south on State Highway 6.
At this site, near the pioneer home of George Morgan, a battle took place, January 16, 1839, between settlers in this region and Indians under Chief José María in which the colonists were defeated. A treaty with these Indians made soon after . . . — Map (db m84671) HM
Texas (Falls County), Perry — 3990 — Judge Albert G. and Harriet Elizabeth Grimes Perry
On State Highway 6 at County Route 112, on the right when traveling south on State Highway 6.
Tennessee native Albert G. Perry (1807-1874) began the study of law at age sixteen in his brother's Alabama law office. He became a successful attorney, but in 1831 left for Texas, settling in Washington, where he opened a law office. The following . . . — Map (db m84676) HM

9 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement