Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Fayette County Texas Historical Markers

 
Marker on right image, Touch for more information
By Richard Denney, September 20, 2009
Marker on right
Texas (Fayette County), Ellinger — 4354 — James J. Ross
Born in South Carolina in about 1787, James Jeffres Ross was a member of the ""Old Three Hundred." He arrived in Stephen F. Austin's colony in late 1822 or early 1823, moving onto the league granted him near Eagle Lake in Colorado . . . — Map (db m22753) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Fayetteville — 499 — Breeding Family Cemetery / First School in Fayette County
Breeding Family Cemetery (300 yards northwest, across the highway) David and Sarah Davis Breeding came to Texas from Kentucky and settled here in 1833 with sons John, Richard L., Napoleon B., Fidelio S., and Benjamin W.; John, . . . — Map (db m84667) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Fayetteville — 17784 — Site of Svrcek Building
An 1890s commercial building on this site was used throughout the 20th century. The rectangular plan, frame construction building featured a false front, supported awning and double doors flanked by windows. Frank Svrcek owned several lots on the . . . — Map (db m96290) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Fayetteville — 17785 — Site of Svrcek Garage
Frank Svrcek owned a commercial building here in the 1890s. The rectangular frame building with stepped parapet had two pairs of doors, one tin and the other wooden. Walter Meinen’s Chevrolet dealership in the 1920s, and later Harry Cordes’ garage, . . . — Map (db m96291) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Fayetteville — 5940 — Zapp Building
German native Hugo Zapp established his mercantile business in Fayetteville in 1865. In 1900, after a fire had burned his wooden store at this site, Zapp had this 2-story brick building constructed. Intended to be the finest structure in the city, . . . — Map (db m61300) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Flatonia — 1908 — Flatonia City Hospital and Opera House
Dr. George Washington Allen (1849-1903) founded the Flatonia City Hospital in 1896, and this building was completed the following year to serve the medical needs of the growing railroad town. About 1910 the second floor hospital space became the . . . — Map (db m76915) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Flatonia — 5778 — Wheeler Building
This commercial vernacular building was built for W.H. and Emma Wheeler in 1907 by Allen Brothers Construction Company. Built of locally made bricks, the structure exhibits Romanesque Revival style influences and features corbelled brickwork, arched . . . — Map (db m76914) HM
Texas (Fayette County), High Hill — Catholic Life Insurance
In 1901, a group of German-Catholic immigrants to Texas who were united by faith, by language, by common concern for their fellow man and by their desire to protect their families, founded their own fraternal benefit society. Originally called the . . . — Map (db m71595) HM
Texas (Fayette County), High Hill — 1107 — Creuzbaur's Battery, C.S.A."The Big Guns of Fayette"
Organized in Fayette County, 1861, by Edmund Creuzbaur, a former Prussian artillery officer, and composed of around 150 men, 4 cannons, 72 horses, 39 mules. It served as both light and heavy field artillery at Fort Brown, Sabine Pass and other . . . — Map (db m71594) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Hostyn — 1140 — Czech Catholic Union of Texas
On March 24, 1889, a group of Czech immigrants gathered here to form the Katolicka Jednota Texaska (KJT), or Czech Catholic Union of Texas. A fraternal benefit society, the KJT was chartered on July 4, 1889, with six individual lodges. Through . . . — Map (db m84615) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Hostyn — Father Miguel Muldoon
In memory of the forgotten man of Texas history Father Miguel Muldoon Resident priest of Austin's Colony True friend of Stephen F. Austin and his people 1823 - 1842 Contributed much towards the success of Austin's colonial venture . . . — Map (db m84616) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Hostyn — 1141 — The Oldest Czech Settlement
in Texas was established at Hostyn when in November, 1856, the families of Josef Janda, Valintin Kolibal, Frantisek Koza arrived here from Czechoslovakia and in December, 1856, arrived here Alois Klimicek, Benjamin Klimicek adn Frantisek Marak. — Map (db m71598) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 353 — Beer Office and Bottling Company
F.W. Grassmeyer commissioned German-Texan stonemasons to construct this Italianate style commercial building between 1856 and 1859. The structure served as a hotel until 1893, when German immigrant Fritz Presun purchased it as a regional sales . . . — Map (db m61301) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 417 — Birthplace of the SPJST
On December 28, 1896, twenty-five Czech-Texans gathered in the district courtroom of this courthouse to establish a new fraternal benefit insurance society, the Slovanska Podporujici Jednota Statu Texas, more commonly known a the SPJST. The SPJST . . . — Map (db m71597) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 486 — Bradshaw-Killough House
Built in 1886 for local merchant Amzi T. Bradshaw and his wife Sarah, this house was purchased in 1908 by their daughter Nellie and her husband John Killough. In 1924, the Killoughs extensively altered the Victorian-era wood frame residence by . . . — Map (db m71629) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 876 — City Library Building
. . . — Map (db m109027) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 12627 — Fayette County Courthouse
About 1890, the structural safety of Fayette County's third courthouse came into question, and plans began for the building of this structure to serve as the seat of justice for the county. The commissioners court hired San Antonio architect James . . . — Map (db m53236) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 1581 — Fayette County, C.S.A.
Although voted 600 against to 580 for secession, began Confederate recruiting in June 1861. La Grange was headquarters for 22nd Brigade, Texas State Troops, Brig. Gen. Wm. G. Webb commanding, of which 18 companies (1,238 men ) and 72 officers were . . . — Map (db m84614) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 13237 — Hermes House
German native Dr. William A. Hermes moved to La Grange in 1855 to practice medicine. He opened Hermes Drug Store the following year with his partner, Dr. Eck. His two sons, August and William, Jr., earned pharmacy degrees and joined the family . . . — Map (db m71627) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 12755 — Kreische Complex
German immigrant Heinrich Kreische (1821-1882) purchased nearly 175 acres of property in Fayette County in 1849. A stonemason by trade, he built a house, barn and smokehouse here on the high south bluff above the Colorado River. In the 1860s, . . . — Map (db m53216) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 17091 — La Fayette Masonic Lodge No. 34 A.F. & A.M.
La Grange's Masonic Lodge organized in 1847, with John Murchison as the first Worshipful Master. Historically, Masons have supported many civic causes including education. The La Fayette Lodge laid the cornerstone for the Fayette County Courthouse . . . — Map (db m84605) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 12756 — Monument Hill Tomb
In September 1848, the remains of Texans killed in the 1842 Dawson Massacre and the 1843 “Black Bean Death Lottery” were reburied at this site in a sandstone vault. The Kreische family did its best to care for the grave during their . . . — Map (db m53218) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 873 — Old City Cemetery
Used for burials by 1840, this site was deeded by J. S. Lester to trustees who conveyed it to La Grange after incorporation of the city on July 3, 1854. Fourteen townswomen on April 17, 1873, formed what was probably the first such organization . . . — Map (db m84613) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 4161 — Rabb's Prairie
This portion of Fayette County is named for William Rabb (1770-1831), a prosperous miller from Pennsylvania who came to Texas in 1821 with members of his family. Rabb claimed a site on the east side of the Colorado River he had selected during an . . . — Map (db m61297) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 5580 — Site of a Twin Blockhouse
Built about 1828 - used as a place of defense against the Indians and known as Moore's Fort in honor of its builder and owner, John Henry Moore, 1800-1880, noted Indian fighter and commander of the Texans at the Battle of Gonzales, October 2, 1835 - . . . — Map (db m53228) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 575 — Site of Burnam's Ferry
(obverse) First ferry in present-day Fayette County. Established about 1824 at the crossing of the La Bahia Road by Jesse Burnam. After the Army of the Republic of Texas crossed on March 19, 1836, the ferry was destroyed by order of General . . . — Map (db m53220) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 1184/2495 — The Dawson Expedition / Historic Oak Tree
The Dawson Expedition Under this historic oak on September 15, 1842, Capt. Nicholas Mosby Dawson organized his company of Fayette County mounted volunteers, who rushed to reinforce Col. Matthew Caldwell, after San Antonio was captured by . . . — Map (db m53231) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — The Dawson Memorial
Erected by the State of Texas to the memory of her defenders Captain N. H. Dawson and his command. Who fell at the battle of Salado Texas Sept. 18th, 1842. . . . — Map (db m80829) HM WM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 5607 — The First U.S. Postal Rural Mail Route in Texas
Authorized effective August 1, 1899 La Grange, Fayette County — Map (db m95433) HM
Texas (Fayette County), La Grange — 18523 — Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1867
From the time of the first European settlers in Texas, yellow fever was a serious concern. Transmitted through mosquitoes, epidemics in the summer months were prevalent in coastal cities all over North America in the nineteenth century. At the time, . . . — Map (db m109026) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Ledbetter — 2232 — Gotcher Trace(Also written Goacher, Gocher, Gotier, Goucher)
Opened about 1828 by James Gotcher from Alabama, a settler on Rabb's Creek in present Lee County, as route from San Felipe, in Stephen F. Austin's original colony, to Bastrop in second or "little" colony. A short, exposed route to the upper . . . — Map (db m84600) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Oldenburg — 3838 — Oldenburg
The land in this area was included in a Mexican land grant awarded to Nathaniel Townsend in 1838. Portions of the grant were sold to a succession of different people over the years, and in 1885 August Heintze and Gus Steenken, both natives of . . . — Map (db m71580) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Round Top — 5261 — Early Texas Hotels and Inns
Two miles east, at Winedale, is the Old "Sam Lewis Stopping Place" of the 1850s--a typical early Texas inn, now a University of Texas Research Center. Built 1834, as a settler's 2-room log cabin of hand-hewn cedar; then enlarged twice and (with work . . . — Map (db m28324) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Round Top — 3550 — Nassau Plantation
One-half mile south to site of Nassau Plantation An extensive tract of land purchased in 1843 for colonization by German emigrants. Named for Duke Adolf of Nassau, protector of the emigration society, it was once one of the show places . . . — Map (db m84602) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Round Top — 4363 — Round Top Community
Home of the Townsends, Hills and McH. Winburn, veterans of San Jacinto; Joel W. Robison, one of Santa Anna's captors; John Rice Jones, first postmaster general, Republic of Texas; and John C.C. Hill, boy captive of Mier Expedition and adopted by . . . — Map (db m49728) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Round Top — 11680 — Samuel Knight Lewis(January 20, 1807 - November 14, 1867)
South Carolina native Samuel K. Lewis married Marshall Ann Moore in 1830 and they settled on his Mississippi plantation. In 1838 the Lewis family was drawn to Texas. Originally a surveyor, Lewis served Austin County in the Republic of Texas House of . . . — Map (db m84604) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Round Top — 5714 — Wandke House
Johann Traugott Wandke (1808-1870) immigrated from Prussia to nearby La Grange with his wife Christiane and two daughters, Karoline and Christiane, in 1855. About 1860 Johann and Christiane came to Round Top to live in the home of their daughter . . . — Map (db m61293) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Round Top — 5863 — Winedale Stagecoach Inn
Built by William S. Townsend about 1834. Of cedar timbers — one large room, fireplace and loft for sleeping quarters. Purchased in 1848 by Samuel K. Lewis; enlarged to present form. Became known as "Sam Lewis' Stopping Place" for . . . — Map (db m84603) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Rutersville — 2486 — Asa Hill of Rutersville(1788? - 1844)
Born in Martin County, N.C. Married Elizabeth Barksdale in Georgia, Oct. 6, 1808. Came to Texas 1835. In army in 1836, was sent by Gen. Houston to warn people in enemy's path. Settled here 1839. In 1840, enrolled eight children in Rutersville . . . — Map (db m71582) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Rutersville — 4395 — Rutersville
Founded in 1838 upon the recommendation of Dr. Martin Ruter (1785-1838), as a site for an institution of higher learning. Named in honor of Dr. Ruter, a pioneer Methodist missionary who entered Texas on Nov. 21, 1837, and weakened by his travels, . . . — Map (db m71581) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Schulenburg — 3156 — Site of Former Town of Lyons
Early town on land grant of Keziah Cryer. Named for settler James Lyons, killed by 1837 Indian raiders, who kidnapped his son Warren. In 1860s town had stores, Masonic Lodge, school, post office and was on "Cotton Road" to Mexico, but it died . . . — Map (db m109024) HM
Texas (Fayette County), Weimar — 1290 — Dubina
Dubina, which derives its name from the Czech word for oak grove, was founded in 1856 by a group of Moravian immigrants, including the Marak, Kahlich, Sramek, Peter, Holub, Muzny, and Haidusek families. By 1900 the farming community had erected a . . . — Map (db m61290) HM
Texas (Fayette County), West Point — 5902 — Site of Woods' Fort
Used by colonists of this vicinity as a protection against Indian attacks 1828-1842 fortified residence of Zadock Woods veteran of the War of 1812 One of the old "Three Hundred" of Austin's colonists Oldest man killed in the "Dawson Massacre" . . . — Map (db m79696) HM

43 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement