Established in 1867 as a final resting place for William Bonner, Dr. John Bonner, and their descendants. The two brothers, natives of South Carolina, came to Texas in the early 1850s, settling in Freestone County. Here they amassed thousands of . . . — — Map (db m26474) HM
Said to have come from riverboat "S. A. Ruthven", which plied Trinity River until it was sunk in 1873 at Parker's Bluff. Butler Church acquired bell and used it for many years. In 1963, after the church was razed, Mrs. Clay Burkhart purchased bell, . . . — — Map (db m85031) HM
Commissioners courts in Texas usually furnished to soldiers enlisting in the Civil War their uniforms, guns, blankets--and sometimes even their horses. The county courts also aided dependents, war orphans and widows. Further, they recognized local . . . — — Map (db m51647) HM
Came to Texas from Alabama in 1855. Civil War commanded Co. B, 2nd Battalion, Waul's Texas Legion. On May 22, 1863, was a leader of one of most daring defensive actions in the Siege of Vicksburg. Volunteered, along with 20 of his own men and 18 . . . — — Map (db m85018) HM
Known as Lewis Corner because of a sharp curve in the road. This nearby location was home to Eugene Lewis, Sr. (May 31, 1884-May 18, 1966) and wife Jessie Ward Lewis (Feb.9, 1890-Jan. 1,1968). The Lewises and their 10 children resided here from 1915 . . . — — Map (db m43950) HM
Built 1857 to meet fortress-like specifications: interior walls are 18 inches thick, outer walls, 30 inches. Constructed of brick and oak timbers. Prison, upstairs, had floor of thick oak planks, with subfloor of iron.
Jailer lived on ground . . . — — Map (db m85022) HM
German native Fridolin (Fred) Fischer (1850-1921) came to Freestone County from Indiana in 1876. In 1893, the same year he opened a local hardware store, he had this home constructed by David P. Winfrey. Built in the Eastlake style, the residence . . . — — Map (db m85009) HM
Greek Revival structure with cistern and chimneys of local handmade brick. Lumber, hardware came by wagon from Galveston. Siding is cypress; interiors of hand-planed heart pine. Unusual smoke spots decorate a ceiling.
Started 1855 by Dr. W. D. . . . — — Map (db m85040) HM
Six brass field guns taken by Lt. Joseph D. Sayers' Company in Civil War Battle of Val Verde, N. Mex., 1862, and brought back to Texas with incredible difficulty, armed a new unit of hand-picked men. Sound of the Val Verde guns in action set pace . . . — — Map (db m37002) HM