Traveling west from the Gulf of Mexico the land rises gradually and becomes Alta Loma (Spanish for high land) in this area of Galveston County. In 1893 the Alta Loma Investment and Improvement Company platted a townsite here along a Gulf, Colorado & . . . — — Map (db m52466) HM
According to local oral tradition, the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad (GCSF) gained a vital right-of-way through Emily Hitchcock's property in 1875 by agreeing to establish a depot named for her deceased husband, Lent Munson Hitchcock. GCSF . . . — — Map (db m52485) HM
Oldest church in Alta Loma; second oldest Baptist church on Galveston mainland. Organized on Nov. 10, 1895, in a local hotel; 26 charter members.
Established Arcadia Baptist Church, 1945. Purchased "U. S. S. Houston" Memorial Chapel, 1946. . . . — — Map (db m52464) HM
The town of Arcadia was established on the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railroad in 1890. This church was organized in 1894 and represents the oldest surviving church in the community. Initial services were held by the Rev. T. Patterson in a . . . — — Map (db m137276) HM
In 1890 Henry J. Runge laid out the town of Arcadia at the site of a railroad depot on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad near here known as Hall's Station. Sometime between 1890 and 1897, Evergreen Cemetery was established to serve the . . . — — Map (db m50113) HM
Established in 1910 through the partnership of area landowners G. C. Perkins and W. Y. Fuqua, Clifton-by-the-Sea is a reminder of the era in which prosperity returned to Galveston County following the devastating 1900 storm. Developed as a bayside . . . — — Map (db m59595) HM
Headquarters for Long's Expedition which attempted to free Texas from Spanish rule in 1819. Named in honor of Simon Bolivar (1783-1830), leader in the Spanish-American War for independence. Here Mrs. Long and a small group remained until news of her . . . — — Map (db m34880) HM
This congregation grew from the merger of two historically African-American Methodist congregations in Dickinson and League City. The first, Warren Chapel, was named for its founder, Richard H. Warren, who preached at the homes of Sophie Monroe and . . . — — Map (db m59821) HM
In 1876 a group of Methodists led by the Rev. P.E. Nicholson began meeting in private homes in the Dickinson area. In 1885 a frame building was erected for use as a church and school.
The Dickinson congregation does not appear in official . . . — — Map (db m51780) HM
In the fall of 1899, a small group of Episcopalians living in Dickinson petitioned the Rt. Rev. George H. Kinsolving, Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Texas, to send a priest to minister to them. Bishop Kinsolving sent the Rev. A.J. Burnett, . . . — — Map (db m51391) HM
Chartered by the State of Texas on February 7, 1853, the Galveston, Houston, and Henderson Railroad was the first railroad to reach the Texas Coast. A trestle was built across Galveston Bay in 1859, and passenger and freight service was initiated . . . — — Map (db m51341) HM
Designed by Houston architect Henry A. Stubee and built in 1938, this was the home of local civic, church, and business leader Cecil Brown and his wife Frances. Both were from pioneer Quaker families. Mr. Brown was prominent in the Gulf Coast fig . . . — — Map (db m53113) HM
Figs, the life's blood of Friendswood 1910 to circa 1956, were preserved and shipped from this Fig Preserving Plant. This business, opened in 1924 at this site by Quaker Cecil Brown, (son of the founder) was neither the first nor the last local . . . — — Map (db m98446) HM
Friendswood's first business a small, general merchandise store, what opened on this site in 1907 by a Quaker from Lowell, Kansas, Cyrus J. Hadley. He and his wife, Elvira, made stables available to the community. Prior to Hadley's store, folks sent . . . — — Map (db m98898) HM
The Frank J. Brown Family, along with the Thomas Hadley Lewis Family, Co-founded this Quaker Settlement in the spring of 1895. By August, Brown had hauled lumber from Alvin and was personally constructing his home on this 10-acre site for his wife . . . — — Map (db m98910) HM
In 1895, six families left the disbanded Quaker settlement of Estacado in the Lubbock area and moved to Galveston County. Here, they established the community of Friendswood, named in honor of their faith and association with the Society of Friends, . . . — — Map (db m53112) HM
This community was founded in 1895 by a group of Friends (Quakers) led by F. J. Brown and T. H. Lewis. They acquired the land from J. C. League and named the settlement Friendswood.
From the very beginning, church and school were central to the . . . — — Map (db m50156) HM
In 1899 Friendswood recieved postal service. That year 22 year old widow Flora Knode was appointed postmaster, and residents picked up mail from her home. In 1904 Quaker Charles E. Hoover and family moved here from West Branch, Iowa. In 1906 he . . . — — Map (db m98450) HM
Beginning about 1910 figs were grown on thousands of acres in a nine-county area 150 miles along the Gulf Coast from Winnie to Bay City and 50 miles inland. That included Friendswood where fig orchards, 5 acres to 500 acres lined the main street and . . . — — Map (db m98896) HM
The Nathan and Mary Perry home here at 109 W. Spreading Oaks is the oldest structure remaining from the Quaker Settlement era. No photo of the house has been found. (Old timers memories were called upon to provide data for the restoration.) The . . . — — Map (db m97592) HM
As Quakers moved westward across America and the end of the 19th century, it was customary to construct an Academy to provide a site for worship and the education of their youth. Constructed by local men, using lumber they milled from trees downed . . . — — Map (db m97608) HM
Friendswood was established as a Quaker colony by Frank J. Brown and Thomas H. Lewis in 1895. Among the colony's early settlers was former Kansas farmer Nereus Stout. Stout became a highly acclaimed horticulturist and is believed to be the first . . . — — Map (db m98447) HM
Dedicated in memory of
F.M. “Ducky” Prendergast
July 31, 1908 - October 29, 2002
Lifeguard for Life
Ducky Prendergast was one of Galvestons original professional . . . — — Map (db m90257) HM
First, and originally the only, building of University of Texas Medical Branch. Master architect Nicholas J. Clayton designed the massive Romanesque structure. It was dedicated October 5, 1891.
Although rooms were almost devoid of equipment, . . . — — Map (db m90111) HM
Building in which in 1891 Misses Betty Ballinger and Hally Bryan founded the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, a society for historical preservation.
This Victorian structure was then library of "The Oaks," family home of the founders, who . . . — — Map (db m59424) HM
After 1900 the Port of Galveston emerged as the second largest in the United States. Following completion of a deep water channel to Texas City in 1904, the mainlands major petroleum petro-chemical plants, tin smelter and allied industries, had . . . — — Map (db m50098) HM
General Xavier Mina, hoping to establish a settlement at what is now the Galveston County mainland, arrived and set up breastworks at Virginia Point in 1816.
Between 1815 and 1817, three leaders of expeditions against Spanish Mexico, Mina, . . . — — Map (db m50099) HM
Steel shortages during World War I led the U.S. to build experimental concrete ships, the largest of which was the SS Selma, today partially submerged in Galveston Bay and visible from this site. It was built in Mobile, Alabama, and named to . . . — — Map (db m127633) HM
The Strand, known as "Wall Street of the Southwest," served as the central business district of early Galveston. A fire, set in 1869 to cover a robbery at Cohn Brothers, a clothing emporium, burned a mile wide area. It began at this site, once . . . — — Map (db m65061) HM
Designed by Frank Cox of New Orleans, this Romanesque revival structure served as an opera house, hotel, and restaurant when it opened for its first season in 1895. Converted to a movie theater in the 1920s, it was restored in the 1970s and 1980s to . . . — — Map (db m26968) HM
A. Wilkins Miller had this residence built by Galveston contractor R.B. Garnett in 1895. As president of Miller & Vidor Lumber Co., one of the largest in the state, Miller was responsible for the growth of the timber industry in much of southeast . . . — — Map (db m51226) HM
This house was built in 1914 for the family of businessman John Adriance, who was instrumental in Galveston's early development. It was sold in 1929 to business and civic leader Oscar Springer, whose family continued to live here until 1960. . . . — — Map (db m137983) HM
Founded in 1905 by Galveston business pioneer W. L. Moody, Jr. (1865-1954), American National opened for business on third floor of the Moody Building at 22nd and Strand streets in Galveston. At that time the home office staff numbered ten. By 1912, . . . — — Map (db m55628) HM
When Galveston was founded in 1836, this entire city block was set aside for use by the Republic of Texas as the site of a customs house. Gail Borden, the inventor of condensed milk, was the first Collector of Customs for the Republic in Galveston. . . . — — Map (db m130423) HM
Designed by noted Galveston architect Nicholas J. Clayton, this house was built in 1899 by Ida B. Baden on land once known as Thomas Borden's farm. West Island landowner John D. Settle sold Miss Baden the land and assisted her in the architectural . . . — — Map (db m59425) HM
As part of the Union blockade of the Texas coast, Commander W. B. Renshaw led his small fleet into Galveston harbor to demand the surrender of this most important Texas port on October 4, 1862. Largely unguarded, as it was considered indefensible, . . . — — Map (db m36154) HM
Animals without backbones are called invertebrates. Standing on the beach, wading in the surf, or swimming in the waters, you can encounter many varieties of Gulf invertebrates such as sand dollars, jellyfish, snails, crabs, and shrimp.
Sand . . . — — Map (db m90648)
One of the earliest commercial blocks in Galveston, this row of three three-story brick buildings was constructed for John Berlocher by builder John Brown. The easternmost building, 2309 Mechanic, was erected in 1858. The westernmost, 2315 Mechanic, . . . — — Map (db m127493) HM
Virginia-born B. M. Temple served in the Confederate army during the Civil War (1861-1865), then moved west to begin a noted career in civil engineering. As Chief Engineer for the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad, 1879-1884, he . . . — — Map (db m127583) HM
Supported the American Revolution by defeating the British along the Gulf Coast. He had Texas Longhorn cattle driven to Louisiana to aid his campaign - thus giving Texas a connection with the American Revolution. — — Map (db m71154) HM
A man of strong principle who carried a gun in one pocket and a Bible in the other, Burnet acted as a cohesive force in the chaotic days of early Texas independence, though his dour, quick-tempered disposition kept him from ever winning wide . . . — — Map (db m127628) HM
Erected in 1905-06 by local contractor Otto Haase, this building housed the Texas Bottling Works and the family residence of C. F. and Marie Marschner. Shortly before the completion of the building, C. F. Marschner died. His widow inherited the . . . — — Map (db m55632) HM
Discover Nature at the Beach ... the Shoreline
You stand at the shoreline of a sandy 30-mile long barrier island, one of several that edge the Texas Coast and help protect the mainland from the sea. Straight ahead of you, across . . . — — Map (db m90650)
In 1902, Galveston was still recovering from the most devastating hurricane in recorded history. Many buildings were badly damaged, including the house at 1416 Broadway. In the early 1900s, Carl Christian Biehl immigrated to Galveston from Germany. . . . — — Map (db m138002) HM
Born in Galveston in 1887, Carmelo Bertolino was the son of Salvatore Bertolino (d.1891) and Rosalia Trapani Bertolino (d.1942), who immigrated to Texas from Palermo, Italy in the early 1880s. Salvatore Bertolino drowned in Galveston Bay when . . . — — Map (db m51271) HM
In early Galveston much of the waterfront activity centered around these wharves. In 1854, the Galveston wharves were consolidated under the present Wharf Company, but the first wharves were built by private citizens. Menard's Wharf at the foot of . . . — — Map (db m130425) HM
This large Victorian home was built in 1895 by Captain Charles Clarke, a prominent figure in the Galveston shipping industry.
In 1928 the house was purchased by grain exporter Julius W. Jockusch, who served as consul in Belgium and later . . . — — Map (db m57411) HM
"Lion" of Texas coastal defense during the Civil War. Commanded marine department of military district. Born in New England, went to sea at 13. By age 20 was a captain. In 1850's commanded on the Galveston to New Orleans run of Southern Mail . . . — — Map (db m36129) HM
Erected in 1870. Cultural and religious center for 85 years. Second oldest temple in Texas. Converted to Masonic Temple in 1953.
Henry Cohen, rabbi from 1888-1950, was noted advisor and beloved humanitarian to the entire city.
Recorded . . . — — Map (db m57363) HM
The Congress of the United States
* March 4, 1854 *
* March 31, 1864 *
This was the first building erected
by the United States of America
for civil uses in the State of Texas
. . . — — Map (db m118965) HM
A veteran of the War of 1812, David Ayers brought his family to Texas in 1833. On behalf of the American Bible Society, they distributed bibles to new settlers. Settling first in San Patricio, Ayers moved to Washington County, where he became a . . . — — Map (db m127585) HM
During the last quarter of the 19th century Galveston Island was a major center of commerce for the Southwestern United States. Finished goods arrived at Galveston's natural deep water port from across the world, while cotton and other raw . . . — — Map (db m118997) HM
Erected to the Soldiers and Sailors of
Confederate States of America
The Veuve Jefferson Davis Chapter No. 17,
United Daughters of the Confederacy
”There has never been an armed force
which in . . . — — Map (db m118299) WM
Designed by noted architect Nicholas Clayton. Gothic revival style. Dedicated as memorial in 1882 to the Rev. Benjamin Eaton, founding rector, 1841-71.
Half of funds provided by the Ladies' Parochial Society; half by financier Henry Rosenberg. . . . — — Map (db m58134) HM
The first recorded history of Galveston Island occurred in 1528 with the shipwreck of Cabeza de Vaca and his crewmen. They were survivors of Alvarez de Pinedas ill-fated expedition to Florida and were held captive here by the Karankawa Indians. De . . . — — Map (db m50096) HM
In 1854, a congressional appropriation was secured for the erection of a government building in Galveston for the customs, post office departments, the United States Court, and the United States Marshal.
Three lots on the southeast corner . . . — — Map (db m118960) HM
Dedicated to the
First Navy of the Republic of Texas
Established by Governor Henry Smith
November 25th, 1835
Commemorating the heroism of its
personnel . . . — — Map (db m65031) HM WM
Organized New Year's Day, 1840, in the "Academy," an old building on the northwest corner of this intersection. Rev. John McCullough, church organizer, became pastor.
Original building was finished 1843; present structure started 1872; . . . — — Map (db m51228) HM
In 1857 John S. Sydnor (1812-1869), former Galveston mayor, built the original two-story, eight-room structure at this site. Samson Heidenheimer (1834-1891) bought it in 1884. The German-born Heidenheimer began with a $100 loan and built a fortune . . . — — Map (db m128845) HM
The northeastern tip of Galveston Island has seen defense fortifications since the early 1800's. Crude Spanish and French forts (1816-1818) gave way to small sand forts and batteries constructed by the Republic of Texas from 1836 to 1844. In 1863 . . . — — Map (db m78508) HM
Built in 1886 to replace a house destroyed in the great Strand fire, this was the home of Robert Morris and Sarah Franklin. Robert Franklin (1839-1923) was the son of Benjamin C. Franklin, the Battle of San Jacinto veteran for whom Franklin County . . . — — Map (db m59423) HM
Galveston native and banker William John Frederich, Sr. (1852-1898), had this house built for his family in 1894. After his death, his widow Jeanne sold the home to his nephew, Frederich William Erhard, in 1909. The home remained in the Erhard . . . — — Map (db m59378) HM
Designed by Galveston architect William H. Roystone for local real estate agent Frederick William Beissner (1854-1905) and his wife Mary, this Victorian-era home was built in 1888. Its elaborate Eastlake details include turned posts, jigsawn porch . . . — — Map (db m60498) HM
Founded 1842 by Samuel Bangs, Texas' first printer. Published after 1843 by Willard Richardson, who put up the first 4-story building in Galveston to house the offices and printing plant.
Soon after the Civil War began in 1861, cut back from a . . . — — Map (db m49843) HM
By 1840, a year after its incorporation, the city of Galveston was home to approximately 1,200 residents, the entry point for scores of immigrants and a major coastal shipping port. Ongoing tensions between the young Republic of Texas and Mexico had . . . — — Map (db m59444) HM
Founded in 1878 by George Dealey (1829-1891), the Galveston Children's Home moved to this location in 1880. Henry Rosenberg gave money to construct a massive Gothic revival building here in 1894-95. It was destroyed by the storm of 1900. Newspaper . . . — — Map (db m51269) HM
Communities of Galveston County were established as follows:
Algoa was named following the 1900 storm for a British Tanker which ran aground there.
Alta Loma was given the Spanish Name, “High Ground,” by a development . . . — — Map (db m118298) HM
In design of a Teutonic Club; all stockholders were of German descent. Center for city's social life, 1876-1923, complex had an octagonal dance pavilion, tennis courts, bowling and tenpin alleys, bandstand, fountains. The complex was site of . . . — — Map (db m56238) HM
In 1871, twelve men formed the Galveston Historical Society to preserve the history of Texas by collecting important documents. The group and its archive grew, but in 1880, the secretary died, telling no one where to find the collection. In 1885, . . . — — Map (db m118966) HM
Galveston was the port of entry for thousands of immigrants who settled in Texas and the southwest. Federal laws enacted in 1875 ended the unrestricted entry of immigrants into the country and led to the establishment of the area's first U.S. . . . — — Map (db m30449) HM
Galveston Island, for centuries a crossroads for Indians, privateers, Spanish and French explorers, for a time was capital of the Republic of Texas. This was during the Texas War for Independence, when Santa Anna was making his 1836 invasion. On . . . — — Map (db m36130) HM
Few spots have played a more exciting role in the life of Texas than Galveston Island.
Cabeza de Vaca, the Spanish explorer, wrote of the cannibalistic Karankawa Indians when he was shipwrecked here in 1528. The island became headquarters for . . . — — Map (db m70785) HM
First medical college in Texas and predecessor of the University of Texas Medical Branch, the school opened in 1865 as a branch of Soule University at Chappell Hill. Although equipment during the first session consisted of one skeleton, one . . . — — Map (db m87301) HM
First weather service office in Texas, and one of first in the United States; established April 19, 1871, slightly over a year after Congress passed an act in Feb. 1870 creating the Public Weather Service of the United States under the Army Signal . . . — — Map (db m56267) HM
The Island City Orphans Home of the 1870s and 1880s was created to provide refuge for Protestant and Jewish children in Galveston. The orphanage operated out of its original wooden structure for the next twelve years, narrowly escaping destruction . . . — — Map (db m103074) HM
Unregulated entry of immigrants through the Port of Galveston in the late 1830s greatly contributed to local outbreaks of yellow fever and other communicable diseases. The young city instituted quarantine measures in 1839 and in 1853 built Texas' . . . — — Map (db m127634) HM
Following the hurricane of 1900, the greatest natural disaster of U.S. history, with the loss of 6,000 lives, civil engineers designed and built a concrete seawall and raised the elevation of Galveston Island, using pioneering materials and methods, . . . — — Map (db m90439) HM
1917 Honor Roll 1918
We with uncovered head
salute the sacred dead
who went and who return not.
McDonald, Margaret Astal, Douglas N. Berg, George Bone, Albert R. Brown, William H. Burke, C.T. Carrague, Michael T. . . . — — Map (db m90705) WM
Most important Texas seaport during the Civil War. Had consulates of England, France and Spain and worldwide recognition as a cotton exporter. Set up defenses including 10 mud forts and gun batteries on beaches, at railroad depot and on Pelican . . . — — Map (db m59397) HM
From the time of the earliest documented history, the Gulf of Mexico has been the main point of entry into Texas. Some settlers of the 1820s even came by keelboat, going ashore along the way to kill game, in the same way an overland party would live . . . — — Map (db m127635) HM
Born in Massachusetts July 26. 1805. Came to Texas February 1836 as captain of a company of volunteers he had recruited in Kentucky and Ohio. Commanded the second regiment of volunteers at San Jacinto. First to sound the immortal war cry opening the . . . — — Map (db m49823) HM
Born into a prominent Nashville, Tennessee, family, George Campbell Childress attended Davidson Academy (later the University of Nashville). He was admitted to the bar in 1828, the same year he married Margaret Vance. She died in 1835, soon after . . . — — Map (db m50006) HM
Born in Liverpool, England, George Dealey moved to Galveston in 1870 with his wife, Mary Ann (Nellins) Dealey (1829-1913), and their nine children. Dealey was a deeply religious man, who engaged in many charitable activities. In 1878 he persuaded . . . — — Map (db m87269) HM
Shortly after the Civil War George Fox (d. 1906) joined his father's Galveston bakery, established in 1837. A successful merchant by the turn of the century, Fox built this home for his wife Elizabeth (Benison) and family about 1903. It probably . . . — — Map (db m138003) HM
Founded 1874 as a mission of Trinity Church. In 1876 became an independent parish under the Rev. Jeremiah Ward, Rector.
Dedicated in 1895 by Bishop G. H. Kinsolving, the building was made possible by a bequest from civic leader Henry Rosenberg. . . . — — Map (db m56226) HM
This building, designed by Nicholas J. Clayton, was erected in 1882 for the wholesale drygoods firm of Greenleve, Block & Co. at a cost of $65,000. It was built of Philadelphia pressed brick and cut stone, with supportive and decorative iron columns . . . — — Map (db m130413) HM
Virginia native Dr. Greensville S. Dowell moved to Texas in 1853. During the Civil War he served as a surgeon in the Confederate army in Galveston. He was instrumental in the founding of the Galveston Medical Society, Texas Medical College and . . . — — Map (db m127582) HM
In 1874 Galveston County voters narrowly approved $500,000 in bonds to finance construction of a railroad line from the city of Galveston that would bypass Houston, its business rival, and reach across Texas and beyond to Santa Fe, New Mexico. Henry . . . — — Map (db m59386) HM
This elaborate Italianate-Queen Anne style house was built in 1892 by Galveston grocer John Hagemann and his wife Jerusha. In 1932 the home was purchased by Thomas and Laura Ella Cobb. A city health inspector, Cobb was the head of the local Brewer's . . . — — Map (db m56209) HM
The Firm of William Hendley & Co. was founded in 1845. The partnership consisted of William Hendley, Capt. Joseph J. Hendley, John L. Sleight, and Phillip Gildersleeve.
This firm, with Brower and Neilson of New York, started the "Texas and New . . . — — Map (db m119195) HM
The commercial house of William Hendley & Co. was established in 1845 by William Hendley (1798-1873), his brother Joseph J. Hendley (d. 1887), John L. Sleight (1810-73), and Phillip Gildersleeve (1819-53). At the same time, they started the Texas . . . — — Map (db m65072) HM
Built at a cost of $1,000,000, this hotel was financed by local businessmen and public subscribers to help the economy of Galveston following the 1900 hurricane. Completed in 1911, it was designed by the St. Louis firm of Mauran and Russell. The . . . — — Map (db m35925) HM
John Henry Hutchings was born in North Carolina in 1822. After living in New Orleans for several years, he moved to Galveston in 1845. Two years later he entered into a partnership with John Sealy to sell dry goods in Sabine Pass. They returned to . . . — — Map (db m56275) HM
Erected in 1856 for businessman John Henry Hutchings and his new wife Minnie (Knox), this structure was designed to resemble an Italian villa. It was damaged in an 1885 storm, and noted architect Nicholas Clayton did the extensive repair and . . . — — Map (db m56276) HM
This impressive building contains grey and pink granite, red Texas sandstone, and buff colored terra cotta. Designed in the Neo-Renaissance style by Galveston architect Nicholas J. Clayton, it was built in 1895 for the banking firm of Ball, . . . — — Map (db m119197) HM
Four decades after joining in partnership, George Ball, John Henry Hutchings, and John Sealy employed prominent Galveston architect Nicholas J. Clayton to design office buildings for their Ball, Hutchings & Co. commission and banking operations. . . . — — Map (db m70556) HM
At the time of his death in 1894 Polish immigrant Harris Kempner, age 57, was a leading Galveston businessman with interests in banking, insurance, railroads, and cotton. Isaac Herbert Kempner, age 21 and the eldest of Harris Kempner's eight . . . — — Map (db m137967) HM
Built in 1886, this residence was shared by Isabella O. Maas and her daughter and son-in-law, Rosana and Nathan Redlich. Active in civic and charitable organizations, Mrs. Maas lived here until her death in 1891. Dr. W.C. Fisher, city health . . . — — Map (db m138041) HM
Galveston native Arthur John "Jack" Johnson (1878-1946) was the first African American World Heavyweight Boxing Champion. He grew up in Galveston's East End and honed his fighting skills working on the wharves. During the 1900 storm, Johnson helped . . . — — Map (db m77380) HM
A veteran of the War of 1812, James Love, a lawyer, came to Texas in 1837 with his wife Lucy (Ballinger). He helped found Galveston, and was a political ally of Mirabeau B. Lamar. Love served as a delegate to the 1845 Annexation Convention, judge of . . . — — Map (db m50031) HM
Notorious pirate. Settled here in 1817 with his buccaneers and ships; under Mexican flag, continued his forays against Spanish shipping in the Gulf. On this site, he built his home, Maison Rouge (Red House), which was part of his fort; and upper . . . — — Map (db m30447) HM
John and Eliza Hertford bought three lots at this site in 1867 and built this house by 1869, the year of John's death. Eliza and her children continued to reside here until 1878. This house, originally a Greek revival-influenced design, was later . . . — — Map (db m137973) HM
Virginia native John Bankhead Magruder graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1830. For meritorious service in the Mexican War (1846-48) Magruder was promoted to lieutenant colonel. He later resigned from the U.S. Army to join the . . . — — Map (db m50047) HM
After coming to Texas from Virginia about 1838, John Trueheart received a land grant for his service with Jack Hays' Rangers. He then began a partnership in a Galveston General Land Agency with Memucan Hunt and returned to Virginia for his wife Anne . . . — — Map (db m127581) HM
A native of Prussia, Julius H. Ruhl came to Galveston in 1872. He served as cashier and clerk for the mercantile firm of Kauffman & Runge until his death in 1882. This home, which Ruhl had constructed in 1874-75, remained in his family until 1962. . . . — — Map (db m57449) HM
Commemorated annually on June 19th, Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration of the end of slavery in the U.S. The Emancipation Proclamation, issued by President Abraham Lincoln on Sep. 22, 1862, announced, "That on the 1st day of January. A.D. . . . — — Map (db m77163) HM
In this area is one of several known Karankawa campsites or burial grounds. Now extinct, the nomadic Indians lived along the Texas coast, depending on the Gulf for survival. In 1528 they aided Spanish explorer Cabeza de Vaca, but resisted all . . . — — Map (db m30451) HM
In 1838, Col. Ephraim McLean was granted wharf privilege by the Galveston City Company provided he start construction of a wharf at once, which he did at the foot of 18th Street. Shortly after the wharf was completed, McLean left Galveston to fight . . . — — Map (db m130399) HM
Fort and settlement established here in 1817 by the freebooter Jean Lafitte who maintained headquarters here while preying on shipping in the Gulf of Mexico. The Battle of the Three Trees was fought here between Lafitte's men and Karankawa . . . — — Map (db m87726) HM
Confederate veteran and capitalist Henry A. Landes (1844-1919) had this house built in 1887-88. Designed by prominent architects George E. Dickey of Houston and D. A. Helmich, the house reportedly provided refuge to some 200 people during the . . . — — Map (db m50048) HM
This two-story galleried Greek revival residence was built about 1870 by Galveston attorney Marcus C. McLemore (d. 1898). The Society for the Help of Homeless Children bought the home in 1901 for use as a charitable center. It was enlarged in 1912 . . . — — Map (db m65178) HM
A sea captain's son who became a sailor at the age of 14, Lent Munson Hitchcock left his native Connecticut and joined the Texas Navy about 1836. Seafaring duties brought him to Galveston in 1837 where he later served as harbor master, city . . . — — Map (db m50049) HM
Leon & H. Blum, "Importers of and Wholesale Dealers in Staple and Fancy Dry Goods, Hats, Boots and Shoes, Notions, etc.", was founded by Alexander and Leon Blum in 1858 under the firm name of A. Blum & Bro. In 1865 the firm was reorganized and the . . . — — Map (db m130434) HM
A young Alsatian immigrant, Leon Blum (1836-1906), joined his brother Alexander in a business partnership in Richmond, Texas, about 1852. The company, A.Blum & Bro., moved to Galveston in 1859. The new firm of Leon & H. Blum was founded late in . . . — — Map (db m65088) HM
Born in Georgetown, South Carolina, Levi Charles Meyers Harby was the son of Solomon Harby and Rebecca (Moses) Harby. During the War of 1812, Levi served in the U.S. Navy. He was commissioned as a midshipman and stationed at Charleston. After the . . . — — Map (db m127578) HM
The first portion of this Queen Anne house was built before 1889 as a one-story cottage. About 1894, during the ownership of William B. Lockhart (1860-1923), it was enlarged by raising the original section to the second floor and adding a new ground . . . — — Map (db m138029) HM
Native South Carolinian, Sergeant in Seminole War, lawyer, member Texas Legislature, an ardent secessionist as United States Senator from 1859 to 1861, visited Fort Sumter with surrender demand as aide to General Beauregard, member Confederate . . . — — Map (db m127526) HM
Maryland-born Edward Lea Graduated From the U.S. Naval Academy in 1855. At the onset of the Civil War, his father, Albert, unsuccessfully tried to persuade him to join the Confederacy. Edward became First Officer on the U.S.S. Harriet Lane. . . . — — Map (db m49993) HM
Leon Dyer was born Feist Emanuel Heim (Haim) on Oct. 2, 1807 in Mayene, Germany, to John Maximilian and Isabella (Babette) Nachmann Dyer. The family immigrated to the U.S. around 1812 and settled in Baltimore where they began a meat packing . . . — — Map (db m127579) HM
Originally built after 1877, this structure was rebuilt after an 1881 fire. Although owned at the time by D.D. Mallory of Baltimore, it was occupied by wholesale grocers Moore, Stratton & Co. and other businesses. It was known throughout much of the . . . — — Map (db m65060) HM
Mardi Gras was born out of a fifteenth-century European masquerade ball tradition, where guests would wear extravagant costumes and masks to conceal their identities.
The first Mardi Gras celebration in Galveston occurred in 1867 at Turner Hall, . . . — — Map (db m118991) HM
Built in the mid-1890s, this late Victorian home was owned by Maud J.H. Moller from about 1895 until 1911. She and her husband, Jens, were prominent in Galveston business and political circles. Cotton exporter and Swiss Consul Ulrich Muller resided . . . — — Map (db m59399) HM
On July 8, 1869, the press reported the recent completion of the Merchants Mutual Insurance Company Building: "It is unlike any other in the external appearance, being finished in the French style with a Mansard roof. The front is of iron and brick, . . . — — Map (db m130422) HM
A native of Canada, Michel B. Menard came to Texas in 1829. He lived in Nacogdoches and Liberty before settling in Galveston in 1833. He was one of the signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence in 1836, and later represented Galveston in the . . . — — Map (db m127531) HM
Twenty-fourth Street is renamed to honor George and Cynthia Mitchell, who catalyzed the renaissance of the Strand Historic District. George Mitchell was born on the island in 1919 to Greek immigrants Mike and Katina Mitchell (born Savvas . . . — — Map (db m119198) HM
In 1838 New Jersey native Nahor Biggs Yard arrived in the new town of Galveston and built one of the city's first residences. Yard enjoyed success in business but is best remembered for his distinguished civic and military career. He served as city . . . — — Map (db m127524) HM
A bivouac in late 1816 and early 1817 for an oddly mixed group of soldiers from many nations joined in the common purpose of freeing Mexico from Spain. Under two spirited leaders-- Mina (1789-1817), an impetuous young Spanish general, and Aury . . . — — Map (db m30446) HM
Nicholas Descomps Labadie was born in Canada in 1802. In Missouri, he trained for the priesthood and later changed to the study of medicine. In 1831, he moved to Texas, serving as post surgeon at Anahuac. He served in the Second Regiment of Texas . . . — — Map (db m127532) HM
A native of Ireland, Nicholas Joseph Clayton emigrated to Ohio with his widowed mother in the early 1840s. After serving in the Union navy during the Civil War, he joined the Memphis architectural firm of Jones and Baldwin. In 1872 he was sent to . . . — — Map (db m70567) HM
Born a slave on the Waller County plantation of his father, Philip Cuney, Norris Wright Cuney was sent to Wyle Street School in Pennsylvania for an early education. At the age of seventeen he moved to St. Louis and found employment on Mississippi . . . — — Map (db m118255) HM
Situated between two wharves and close to the Customs House, this site was an ideal location for early Galveston businesses. Retail and wholesale merchants began trading here in hardware, jewelry, real estate, crockery, tobacco, shoes, boots, . . . — — Map (db m127854) HM
Brought from Jamaica, 1841, by local businessman Joseph Osterman; planted by Osterman's sister, Mrs. Isidore Dyer, in yard of her home at this location. Transplanted when new structure was placed here, 1939, this oleander is an outgrowth of original . . . — — Map (db m57333) HM
Children orphaned by a yellow fever epidemic in 1867 were cared for temporarily in Galveston's St. Mary's Infirmary by the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word.
In 1874 Galveston Bishop Claude Dubuis bought the 35-acre plantation and home . . . — — Map (db m117416) HM
Born in Galveston, Peter Leroy Colombo overcame disabilities to become a highly accomplished lifeguard. Born in 1905, Colombo lost his hearing, speech and use of his legs at the age of seven, due to meningitis. His brothers took him to the Texas . . . — — Map (db m90256) HM
Charles Hodgeson Pix was a member of a Texas pioneer family that came to Galveston from England in 1838. He was one of the early English merchants in Galveston who were importers of English goods direct from London. He began business at #6 Strand . . . — — Map (db m118999) HM
The festive arches gracing Galveston's historic Strand District are part of an imaginative civic design project undertaken in 1985 and based on temporary decorative arches constructed in 1881, when the City of Galveston hosted Saengerfest, a . . . — — Map (db m118989) HM
Early Galveston hotel; built 1847 by John Seabrook Sydnor, Galveston mayor 1846-1847.
Greek revival architecture; Doric columns from Maine.
Has served as orphanage, military academy, residence, and set for a motion picture. Now Galveston . . . — — Map (db m56233) HM
Called the "First Citizen of Texas" by U. S. President Woodrow Wilson, Rabbi Henry Cohen, an internationally known humanitarian, was born in London, England.
He came to Galveston in 1888 as spiritual leader of congregation B'Nai Israel and . . . — — Map (db m118254) HM
The revival of the economic, political, social and religious institutions in Galveston County following the Civil War, was more rapid than anywhere in the south. Galveston emerged as the largest city in Texas and with its natural seaport, became . . . — — Map (db m118300) HM
This structure, erected during the pastorate of the Rev. J.E. Edwards, replaced the first Reedy Chapel Church on this site, destroyed by the 1885 Galveston fire. Contractor E.F. Campbell began construction in 1886. Four storms hit the island that . . . — — Map (db m68579) HM
Trustees of the Methodist Church purchased this lot in 1848 as a worship site for Black slaves. Meetings were held outdoors until a building was erected in 1863. At the end of the Civil War (1865), ownership of the property was transferred to the . . . — — Map (db m63531) HM
The three row buildings at 213-217 Tremont, their exteriors now restored, were constructed in 1870 by Rice, Baulard & Company, a major supplier of paints, oils, varnish and window glass in Texas and Louisiana in the 1800's.
Victor Baulard . . . — — Map (db m118998) HM
Galveston's first African American cemetery 1911-1944 Site donated to Galveston Historical Foundation by John and Judy Saracco, 2006 Listed as a historical burial ground by the Texas Historical Commission — — Map (db m4833) HM
The earliest Catholic services in the Galveston area were conducted in 1838. In 1884, as a result of the church's growth under the direction of such leaders as Bishop J.M. Odin, the Galveston Diocese established Sacred Heart as the fourth church on . . . — — Map (db m51266) HM
The park takes its name from Saengerfest, a biennial singing contest sponsored by German immigrant choral societies around the State of Texas in the 19th century.
A choral group from Galveston, “the Salamanders,” took top honors in . . . — — Map (db m118988) HM
Samson Heidenheimer, pioneer Galveston merchant, had this building erected in 1877 on the site of the Grand Southern Hotel. The Grand Southern was a four-story forty-room Victorian Hotel of brick construction.
In 1877, a fire originating on . . . — — Map (db m128844) HM
Born the son of a ship captain in Rhode Island, Samuel Williams was apprenticed to his uncle in Baltimore after 1810 to learn business skills. After 1816 he lived in Buenos Aires, where he learned Spanish and its related culture. By 1819 he was . . . — — Map (db m58097) HM
In memory of
Samuel May Williams
Born in Providence, R. I.
October 4, 1795
Died in Galveston, Texas
September 13, 1858
Sarah Scott Williams
Born in Kentucky
December 7, 1807
Died in Galveston, Texas . . . — — Map (db m127525) HM
The south half of this building was constructed in 1913 to serve as a central passenger station for Galveston's railway system and to house the general offices of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad's Gulf lines. In 1932 an 11-story tower and . . . — — Map (db m59380) HM
Born in 1867 in Galveston. One of major systems of celebrated Masonic fraternal organization.
Philip C. Tucker, the Deputy Inspector General of the Masons, read charter establishing "San Felipe Lodge of Perfection." It was named after San . . . — — Map (db m51248) HM
Built by Reverend John McCullough in 1849. Patterned after private Presbyterian schools in historic Chester County, Pennsylvania. The institution was a landmark in pioneer Texas education. Eminently suited for the purpose, the school compound . . . — — Map (db m51233) HM
Seven nuns of the Ursuline order from New Orleans arrived in Galveston on January 19, 1847, sent at the request of Bishop Jean Marie Odin. By February 1847 the nuns established a convent and academy in the two-story former home of Judge James W. . . . — — Map (db m50011) HM
Built in 1886-87 for German native Jacob Sonnentheil (d. 1908), this home probably was designed by prominent Galveston architect Nicholas J. Clayton. Sonnentheil served with the Confederacy during the Civil War and operated a wholesale dry goods . . . — — Map (db m57408) HM
In the 1840s and 1850s, Galveston was a major point of entry for German immigrants. Bishop John M. Odin recommended construction of this church in 1859-60 for the German Catholic population. Joseph Bleicke, a German-born carpenter, built the frame . . . — — Map (db m57330) HM
City's oldest surviving church. Built 1847 by the most Rev. John M. Odin, C. M., Early missionary, and first bishop of Texas. Gift of half a million bricks from Antwerp, Belgium, made structure possible. Gothic cathedral is preserved in original . . . — — Map (db m58071) HM
The cornerstone for St. Marys Cathedral was laid in 1847, the same year that the Catholic Diocese of Galveston – which included all of Texas – was established.
Father J.M. Odin, the first Bishop of Galveston, traveled to Europe and . . . — — Map (db m118950) HM
Organized in 1866, this institution was the first private hospital established in the state. Originally known as Charity Hospital, it was founded by three French Catholic Sisters, members in the Order of Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word. . . . — — Map (db m50051) HM
Galveston Bishop C.M. Dubus established this parish in 1870 to serve Catholics in Galveston Island's fast-growing west end district. A wood sanctuary was built at this site and the mostly Irish congregation named the church for St. Patrick, the . . . — — Map (db m52833) HM
James Moreau Brown (1821-1895), builder of Ashton Villa, erected this home in 1885 as a wedding gift for his daughter Matilda (1865-1926) and her husband Thomas Sweeney (d. 1905). Attributed to architect Nicholas J. Clayton, the Victorian cottage . . . — — Map (db m58016) HM
Independent lawyers and representatives from 46 Texas law firms called a meeting in 1882 to create a statewide association. They organized the Texas Bar Association at the Electric Pavilion in Galveston (south of this site) on July 15.
J.H. . . . — — Map (db m50052) HM
Following Laffite's expulsion from Galveston, settlers from the West Indies began to arrive. Within a few years, Galveston became principal port to the Republic of Texas.
Galveston was declared a Port of Entry in 1825 by Mexico and a customs . . . — — Map (db m50097) HM
In 1889, during the Centennial of the inauguration of George Washington as first President of the United States, a group of Revolutionary War soldiers' descendants gathered in New York to form a society to promote awareness of the Revolutionary War . . . — — Map (db m60471) HM
Galveston is a narrow barrier island that hugs the upper Texas coast. This slender sliver of sand and beach hosts a precious diversity of wildlife, especially birds. Sandpipers, plovers, herons, egrets, waterfowl, gulls, terns, hawks, falcons, . . . — — Map (db m90649)
Built, 1886-1893, by Col. Walter Gresham, civic leader and U.S. Congressman. Nicholas J. Clayton was architect. One of the most lavish and massive homes in U.S., house is a Victorian adaptation of renaissance style.
Silver and onyx mantel in . . . — — Map (db m55633) HM
Built about 1882 by cotton buyer Bernard Roensch. Late Greek revival architecture with high Victorian detail in gingerbread trim, ornate tower, stained glass panels and transoms, slate mantels, fine staircase.
Has survived many storms. . . . — — Map (db m65059) HM
Service to the community by the late George Sealy (1880-1944), Galveston financier and civic leader, and his wife Eugenia (1901-1987) was commemorated by the dedication of this pavilion in their memory. The pavilion is a gift to the people of . . . — — Map (db m56212) HM
The original First National Bank of Galveston Building, designed by P M. Comegys for T. H. McMahan, Esquire, was three-story and erected in 1867 of pressed brick from Baltimore. The Strand front and all the door and window surroundings were of iron, . . . — — Map (db m130400) HM
By the late 1800's, thousands of Jews began fleeing their homes in Russia and Eastern Europe to escape anti-Semitic policies and violent pogroms. Many immigrated to the U.S., establishing communities in New York City and elsewhere along the East . . . — — Map (db m57364) HM
Built 1855-1859. First commercial building in Galveston. Housed the first headquarters of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Galveston Engineer Office, established February 25, 1880. From these offices, the first District Engineer, Maj. Samuel M. . . . — — Map (db m119196) HM
Attracted by economic opportunities to be found here, a large number of Italian immigrants came to Galveston in the 19th century. In 1876, they formed the Italian Mutual Benevolent Society (Societa' Italiana di Mutuo Soccorso) to provide assistance . . . — — Map (db m49842) HM
A fine cypress structure with ornate woodwork, this house was built in 1886 by Maxwell (1845-1906) and Sarah Davis Maas for their family of nine children. A Galveston-born nephew of the musical composer Offenbach, Maas was a merchant and then county . . . — — Map (db m138033) HM
Family residence, W.L. Moody, Jr, built about 1894, and for many years home of Mr. Moody, prominent financier and philanthropist who established the Moody Foundation.
Late Victorian architecture, said to have been Texas residence built on steel . . . — — Map (db m52697) HM
Born Heinrich P. Jung in Germany in 1817, the Rev. Henry P. Young began a Methodist ministry in Galveston in 1846. That year he founded the first Society of German Methodists in Texas. From 1849 to 1855 he rode a mission circuit of German colonies . . . — — Map (db m127632) HM
The oldest free public library in continuous operation in Texas. Established and endowed in 1900 by the will of Henry Rosenberg (1824-1893), a native of Switzerland who came to Galveston in 1843 and achieved prominence as a banker and merchant. In . . . — — Map (db m51254) HM
A native of Circleville, Ohio, young Catholic priest James Martin Kirwin arrived in Galveston in 1896. He was soon appointed Vicar General of the Diocese of Galveston by Bishop Nicholas A. Gallagher. As rector of St. Mary's Cathedral, Father . . . — — Map (db m50050) HM
A native of France, Marius Etienne Chataignon served in the French army before coming to the United States in 1907. He came to Texas in 1910 to attend St. Mary's Seminary in La Porte. After his ordination, he was appointed assistant pastor at St. . . . — — Map (db m49821) HM
Julius Kauffman (1856-1935) and Julius Runge (1851-1906), second generation owners of a commission firm established in 1842, had architect Eugene T. Heiner design this renaissance revival building in the north Italian mode. Contractor Robert . . . — — Map (db m58102) HM
"The rush at the Menard or Central Wharf, now known as Pier 21, during the late 1860's and the early 1870's, with the big fleet of 'red' Morgan ships discharging cargo and passengers, with the river boats loading and unloading, was so great that a . . . — — Map (db m130384) HM
1836 - 1845
In commemoration of
The Texas Navy
that played heroic part
in the struggle of
the Texas Republic
and made headquarters at
the port of Galveston
the Texas Society
Daughters of the American . . . — — Map (db m90704) WM
The present Tremont House is the third Galveston hotel to bear the name. The island's first Tremont House was built by the firm of McKinney and Williams in 1839 on the southwest corner of Postoffice and Tremont Streets.
An impressive two-story . . . — — Map (db m117389) HM
New York native Wilbur Cherry (1819-1873), a veteran of the Texas Revolution, had this two-story home built about 1852. A pioneer Texas newspaperman, Cherry had earlier helped establish a local paper, now the Galveston Daily News. His residence, one . . . — — Map (db m50067) HM
This two-story Greek revival residence was constructed in the 1850s. During the Civil War it was the home of Commodore Thomas Chubb (1811-1890), a veteran of the Texas Revolution. Captured by Union naval forces on Galveston Bay, he returned to the . . . — — Map (db m138000) HM
Thomas Jefferson League (1834-74) had this building constructed in 1871, putting the final touches on the structure when a new galvanized iron cornice was installed on October 8, 1872, after a storm damaged the new building at the corner of . . . — — Map (db m119199) HM
Born in Hartford, Conn., Thomas Miller Joseph came to Galveston about 1841 with his mother Annis (Rogers) (d. 1879) and the family of his Uncle Alexander Edgar. Admitted to the bar, he became a Democratic Party leader, serving as Chief Justice . . . — — Map (db m50055) HM
Erected 1855-1857 for third episcopal mission in Republic of Texas. Established Feb. 6, 1841, by the Rev. Benjamin Eaton, rector from 1841 to 1871, who is buried beneath the sanctuary.
First service held Nov. 1, 1857. Here Rev. Alexander Gregg . . . — — Map (db m58014) HM
This Danish castle-inspired home was built in 1890 by John Clement Trube, who came in his youth from Kiel, Denmark. His architect was Alfred Muller.
A successful businessman, Trube married Veronica Durst, an heir of early Texan Peter Durst: . . . — — Map (db m57443) HM
Designed in neo-renaissance, high Victorian style by Nicholas J. Clayton, noted architect, for H.M. Trueheart & Co., first chartered realty firm in Texas, founded by John O. Trueheart in 1857.
H.M. Trueheart joined his father in 1866, admitted . . . — — Map (db m60502) HM
The United States National Bank started in 1874 when the Island City Savings Bank was established with a charter to operate for 50 years. In 1887 the bank was failing and called on Mr. Harris Kempner to help out the financial crisis. Mr. Kempner . . . — — Map (db m119201) HM
Before the Confederate recapture of Galveston on January 1, 1863, the nuns of this monastery declined the evacuation offer. During and after the battle the east wing was used as a hospital for treatment of the wounded from both sides.
Young . . . — — Map (db m51263) HM