On Nov. 9, 1925, this wildcat well "No. 1 H.R. Clay" drilled by Fred Hyer, began pumping oil in a venture that hinted at vast oil resources in West Texas.
The well on Clay's land hit pay dirt at 1,508 feet. Soon oil land speculators developed a . . . — — Map (db m137607) HM
The Garden City community began using this burial ground as early as 1886. That year, a child of county commissioner Sullivan Hill and his wife, Lucy, was buried here. Four years later, a sibling was buried at the same spot; the two graves share a . . . — — Map (db m136336) HM
Created in 1887. Organized 1893, with Garden City county seat. Named for George W. Glasscock (1810-68), flatboating partner of Abraham Lincoln in Illinois.
Came to Texas 1834 and fought 1835-36 in the War for Independence from Mexico.
Built . . . — — Map (db m115861) HM
On May 9, 1893, a little over one month from the date of Glasscock County's formal organization, the first county commissioner's court issued bonds to erect a combination courthouse/jail building.
L. T. Noyes of Houston, with the assistance of . . . — — Map (db m115862) HM