After the fall of the Alamo, March 6, 1836, Colonel James Walker Fannin, with about 400 soldiers, mostly volunteers from the United States in the Texas War for Independence, was ordered by Texas General Sam Houston to retreat from Goliad to . . . — — Map (db m116301) HM
During 1810 - 1819 efforts to expel Spain from Texas, a bloody clash occurred here on June 19, 1817, between the forces of Col. Antonio Martinez, last Spanish governor of Texas, and a Mexican Republican Army of invasion that was on its way to attack . . . — — Map (db m131944) HM
Amid the cruelties of the Texas War for Independence, one notable woman committed acts of bravery and compassion. Francisca Alavez (also known by similar names) accompanied Mexican Army Captain Telesforo Alavez to Texas in March 1836. In seven . . . — — Map (db m36263) HM
Named for 18th century Indian converts of Mission Espiritu Santo de Zuñiga.
A men's college. Founded 1852 by Western Presbytery of Texas. Used buildings of old mission plus funds given by Goliad.
Taught Latin, Greek, geography, surveying, . . . — — Map (db m132011) HM
The town of Goliad began to grow in 1889 with the arrival of the locomotive. The railroads created the ability to receive larger supplies at a lower cost. Lumber, brick, stone and other materials that were formerly shipped by wagon were now . . . — — Map (db m132544) HM
After Spain joined the American colonists in declaring war on England in 1779, Spanish soldier Bernardo de Galvez traveled to New Orleans to raise an army. Aware of the great number of wild cattle in Texas from his time spent stationed in the . . . — — Map (db m132013) HM
Early Goliad leader Rafael Antonio Manchola was born to a Spanish aristocratic family circa 1800. In 1822, he arrived in La Bahia, and two years later he wed María de Jesús de Leon, daughter of empersario Martín de León and Patricia de la Garza. . . . — — Map (db m34245) HM
This historic congregation was organized in the 1840s. In 1859, the Goliad Circuit of the Methodist Church reported 166 members, the largest membership in the Rio Grande Conference. Some African Americans worshipped with Anglo Methodists before . . . — — Map (db m132018) HM
A group of twelve Baptists met under an oak tree one block west of the Goliad town square on this site in May 1849. The Rev. John Freeman Hillyer officiated at the meeting, during which the twelve organized the first Baptist church in the area. The . . . — — Map (db m132240) HM
Nació en este lugar cuando se llamaba "Bahia del Espíritu Santo." En 1855, al mando de un ejército de voluntarios Mexicanos, contribuyó a la derrota del dictador Santa Anna.
Siempre fue caudillo en la defensa de su patria, el 5 de mayo de . . . — — Map (db m36338) HM
One of the three first Texas municipalities. Old Aranama Indian village called Santa Dorotea by the Spanish. Presidio La Bahia and Mission Espiritu de Zuniga established 1749. Here early events leading to the Texas Revolution were expeditions of . . . — — Map (db m34142) HM
First known to Spanish settlers as Nuestra Senora de Loreto, later called La Bahia del Espritu Santo.
Established as a mission in 1749. Became a strategic fort under Spanish, Mexican, Texas occupancy, 1810-1821, 1835-1836. Name changed to Goliad . . . — — Map (db m34291) HM
Built 1894. Cost $67,888.95. Limestone and brick from old courthouse were used in this, the fourth one built since county's creation in 1836.
Used as hospital after 1902 cyclone. A 1942 storm tore off central clock tower. Enlarged in 1964. . . . — — Map (db m132435) HM
First met on Aug. 18, 1851. Chartered Jan. 24, 1852. First Worshipful Master was A. H. Biscoe. All meetings have been held in this rubble stone building since it was erected in 1854. Post office and city hall occupied the first floor for many years. . . . — — Map (db m132547) HM
Completed in 1937, the Goliad Memorial Auditorium was built to commemorate the Texas Centennial. The 43rd State Legislature allocated $3 million for the centennial and the 44th Legislature created the commission of control for the Texas Centennial . . . — — Map (db m132014) HM
A cyclone, considered one of the two most disastrous in Texas history, struck Goliad on Sunday, May 18, 1902. The twister touched down on the south side of the San Antonio River at 3:35 p.m. Sounding like a heavily loaded freight train, the storm . . . — — Map (db m34115) HM
After battle of Coleto (March 19 - 20, 1836), where a Texas Army under Col. James Walker Fannin met defeat by Mexicans in superior numbers, the Texas soldiers were held in Presidio La Bahia, supposedly as war prisoners. However, by order of Mexican . . . — — Map (db m35516) HM
(South Side of Monument)
In Memory of
J. W. Fannin
and his Comrades
April A.D. 1885
(East Side of Monument)
March 27, A.D. 1836
(North Side of . . . — — Map (db m132546) HM WM
Distinguished African American scholar and writer, John Mason Brewer, preserved African American culture with his literary and historical work in the 20th century. Born on March 24, 1896, in Goliad, Brewer's parents, J.H. and Minnie T. Brewer, . . . — — Map (db m132545) HM
Mississippi native and Goliad County Judge James Arthur White (1878-1953) possessed a fervent interest in Texas history, notably that of his adopted city of Goliad. He began in 1928 to organize support for a state park to protect Goliad's many . . . — — Map (db m122045) HM
La Bahía Cemetery is located in the community of La Bahía and was established in conjunction with the chapel of Presidio Nuestra Señora Santa María de Loreto de La Bahía. The presidio had been relocated in 1749 to the banks of the San Antonio River . . . — — Map (db m122040) HM
Born at Presidio La Bahía del Espíritu Santo in 1762, Manuel Becerra played a significant role in the settlement and politics of the region. Becerra and his wife, Juana María Cadena, and their two daughters, María Josefa and Gertrudis, were leading . . . — — Map (db m36335) HM
Site was dedicated to public use by City Ordinance No. 28, on Aug. 30, 1853. About 1871, market with 12 x 24-ft. stalls was put up at cost of $550, and rented to sellers of meat and produce.
In 1886 this became firehouse, with a meeting hall . . . — — Map (db m132241) HM
Founded in 1722 by the Aguayo Expedition on "La Bahia del Espiritu Santo" (the Bay of the Holy Spirit), present Lavaca Bay. This mission reflects its former site in the popular name, "La Bahia". Its formal name (in part) honored Baltasar de Zuniga, . . . — — Map (db m116299) HM
Founded in 1754 for the Cujane Indians. Capt. Manuel Ramirez de la Piszina, commander of nearby Presidio la Bahia, named this mission for his parish church in Spain, and Fray Juan Dios Camberos ministered to the first converts here. The Indians were . . . — — Map (db m132016) HM
Missionaries from the college of Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe de Zacatecas founded Nuestra Señora del Rosario in 1754 for the coastal Karankawa tribes. The extensive cattle ranching operation begun by sister mission Espiritu Santo also supported . . . — — Map (db m34287) HM
One of the most historic Spanish forts in Texas. Popularly called Presidio la Bahía, it was founded on Espíritu Santo (present Lavaca) Bay in 1722. Twice moved, it was re-established here in 1749 to protect Espiritu Santo Mission (1/4 mi. NW). In . . . — — Map (db m36230) HM
When the Civil War ended in April 1865, many Texans returned to find their farms and ranches neglected, their cattle running wild and unbranded. The Federal troops sent to occupy Texas in June 1865 could not control the widespread cattle thieving . . . — — Map (db m34214) HM
Displays a replica of banner unfurled Dec. 20, 1835, at signing of Declaration of Independence of Texas from tyranny of Santa Anna's regime in Mexico. That declaration, drafted by staunch early patriots Philip Dimitt and Ira Ingram, and signed by 92 . . . — — Map (db m132434) HM
Gen. Vicente Filasola, Second in Command of Mexican armies in Texas War for Independence, fled from area of his nation's defeat at San Jacinto, April 21, 1836. Filasola's aim was to go to Mexico with his army.
After he had passed through Goliad, . . . — — Map (db m34166) HM
First established at the site of La Salle's Fort on Garcitas Creek, Victoria County, among the Coco, Cujanes, Karankawa and other Indian tribes in 1722. Moved to Mission Valley, Victoria County, on the Guadalupe River among the Jaranames and . . . — — Map (db m68955) HM
Begun as a mission, 1861, by the Very Rev. W. R. Richardson, Dean of St. Mark's, San Antonio. R. P. Wilkinson donated site. Church was built 1882, consecrated in 1885 by the Rt. Rev. R. W. Elliott, first bishop of Western Texas. Elevated to parish . . . — — Map (db m132239) HM
The "Goliad Advance-Guard" was created by the merger of two newspapers. The "Guard" began in 1867, when Richard Wayne Davis bought the "Intelligencer" and changed its name. His son, R. T. Davis, published the paper from 1871 until 1892. A young . . . — — Map (db m132548) HM
Site for court sessions at various times from 1846 to 1870. Capital sentences called for by the courts were carried out immediately, by means of a rope and a convenient limb.
Hangings not called for by regular courts occurred here during the . . . — — Map (db m34113) HM
Many German and Polish immigrants came to Texas in the 19th century on a ship named Weser. Arriving at the Port of Galveston, a number of the pioneer settlers made their way overland to this area, establishing a community in the 1850s and . . . — — Map (db m122047) HM