Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Gray County Texas Historical Markers

 
66 Super Service Station and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Ricky D. Smith, February 27, 2008
66 Super Service Station and Marker
Texas (Gray County), Alanreed — 66 Super Service Station
Texas Old Route 66 Historical Marker Built by Bradley Kiser 1930 then in downtown Alanreed — Map (db m52067) HM
Texas (Gray County), McLean — First Phillips 66 Station in the State of Texas
First Restored Station on Old Route 66 -------------------- Build and Leased To Phillips in 1929 — Map (db m100357) HM
Texas (Gray County), McLean — 3300 — McLean Methodist Church
This congregation, organized in the early 1900s, is thought to be the oldest denominational church in Gray County. The Rev. G.R. Fort served as first pastor. Methodists in McLean met in a one-room schoolhouse until their first sanctuary was . . . — Map (db m100356) HM
Texas (Gray County), McLean — 5908 — World War II Prisoner of War Camp at McLean
A permanent alien interment camp (prisoner of war camp) in the 8th Service Command was established here during World War II. Construction began in September 1942 and American military personnel and German prisoners began to arrive in July 1943. The . . . — Map (db m100355) HM
Texas (Gray County), Pampa — 36 — 1934 Pampa Post Office Building
A post office was established here in 1892, and in 1902 the town of Pampa was formally platted. Following the discovery of oil in the area in 1926, Pampa experienced a population boom which created a need for a larger post office. Built in 1933-34 . . . — Map (db m55847) HM
Texas (Gray County), Pampa — 11901 — Combs-Worley Building
Designed by Amarillo architects W.R. Kaufman & Son, this structure was erected in 1931 to house the offices of the Combs-Worley ranching and oil interests and Pampa professions and businesses. Modern art deco architectural influences appear on the . . . — Map (db m55852) HM
Texas (Gray County), Pampa — 1765 — First Methodist Church of Pampa
Five charter members established the First Methodist Church in 1906, the first denomination organized in Pampa. In 1908 a one-room white church with a steeple was built. This church site was purchased in 1924, and a new sanctuary was completed in . . . — Map (db m55848) HM
Texas (Gray County), Pampa — 14538 — First National Bank in Pampa
Founded in 1906, this institution was organized under a state charter and was named First State Bank. It became known as First National Bank after it received a national charter in 1907. B.E. Finley served at the bank's president for many years, . . . — Map (db m55844) HM
Texas (Gray County), Pampa — 15289 — Gray County
Formed from Young and Bexar Territories Created August 21, 1876 Organized May 27, 1902 Named in Honor of Peter W. Gray 1819–1874 Member of the First Legislature of Texas Member of the Confederate Congress Appointed to . . . — Map (db m55821) HM
Texas (Gray County), Pampa — 11902 — Gray County Courthouse
A fine example of a Beaux Arts courthouse with Georgian ornamentation, this structure was erected after the county seat was moved from Lefors in 1928. The edifice was designed by W. R. Kaufman & Son of Amarillo and built by Harland L. Case & Co. of . . . — Map (db m55850) HM
Texas (Gray County), Pampa — 3922 — Pampa
In 1888 a telegraph station on the Southern Kansas Railroad developed here, and was named Glasgow. Renamed Sutton a year later, a post office was established in 1892 and the town was named Pampa by George Tyng (d. 1906), manager of the White Deer . . . — Map (db m55853) HM
Texas (Gray County), Pampa — 3923 — Pampa City Hall
Construction of this and other major downtown buildings in Pampa came as a result of the Texas Panhandle Oil Boom of the late 1920s and early 1930s. Designed by architect William R. Kaufman to complement the Gray County Courthouse, which he also . . . — Map (db m55856) HM
Texas (Gray County), Pampa — 3997 — Peter W. Gray 1819-1876 Gray County
Front: County Named for Texas Confederate. Virginia-born, came to Texas 1838. Aided 1839 removal Texas Shawness. Officer in Milam Guards, Texas Republic. Political, cultural leader in Houston, Republic, State, and Confederacy: he was . . . — Map (db m55849) HM
Texas (Gray County), Pampa — 4027 — Pioneer Cottage
Built in 1903, one year after county was organized, by settlers Wiley Vincent and wife Katie. This small early Texas cabin has 2 rooms. In 1907, huge prairie fire missed it by only 600 yards. The cabin was bought in 1920 by E. S. Carr, Pampa . . . — Map (db m55824) HM
Texas (Gray County), Pampa — Quanah Parker Trail Texas Plains Trail Region
Comanche, Kiowa & Cheyenne fought Red River War Battles nearby, seen in White Deer Land Museum exhibit. Arrow Sculptor: Charles A. Smith — Map (db m93733) HM
Texas (Gray County), Pampa — 4870 — Site of Pampa Army Air Force Base
In the early 1940s Pampa Mayor Fred Thompson and a delegation from the city's Chamber of Commerce traveled to Washington, D.C. to promote this area as a possible site for a military base. Attracted by the terrain, climactic history, available land . . . — Map (db m93734) HM
Texas (Gray County), Pampa — 11903 — Vittorio Emanuel von Brunow, M. D. (October 27, 1862 - May 7, 1941)
Born in North Carolina, Vittorio von Brunow moved to east Prussia with his family in 1864 and as a young man was educated in Vienna and Warsaw. He returned to the United States in 1892 to pursue his interests in research and technology, arriving in . . . — Map (db m55845) HM
Texas (Gray County), Pampa — 5782 — White Deer Land Building Erected in 1916
Houses property records of the White Deer Land Company (1886-1957), one of the strongest commercial influences in settlement of the Texas Panhandle. Organized from wreckage of the bankrupt Francklyn Land and Cattle Company—whose chief . . . — Map (db m55843) HM
Texas (Gray County), Pampa — 12619 — Woody Guthrie
American folk musician Woodrow Wilson “Woody” Guthrie (1912-1967) moved to Pampa from his native Oklahoma at age 17. Here he learned to play the guitar and joined with other musicians to perform for area events. Guthrie briefly attended . . . — Map (db m55823) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement