October 14, 1890
Dwight David Eisenhower
President of the
United States of America
Presented to the People of Texas
Eisenhower Birthplace Foundation
Amon G. Carter • Sid W. Richardson
Web Maddox • . . . — — Map (db m72845) HM
Thirty-fourth President of the United States; born here Oct. 14, 1890, third son of David J. and Ida Elizabeth Stover Eisenhower.
Dwight Eisenhower graduated from the U.S. Military Academy, 1915; in 1943, during World War II, was appointed . . . — — Map (db m72850) HM
This monument commemorates the restoration in the year 1985 of the original Katy Park, built in the early 1900's and honors the many dedicated Denisonians and others who made the achievement possible. Their names appear here along with these . . . — — Map (db m72895) HM
In 1865 the Union Pacific Railway Southern Branch was incorporated to build a railroad from the St. Louis-Kansas City area to the Gulf of Mexico. In 1870, with construction completed to the border of Indian Territory, the line was renamed the . . . — — Map (db m72898) HM
On December 24, 1872, a Missouri, Kansas & Texas (Katy) Railroad train carrying 100 passengers arrived here in the newly established railroad town of Denison. Its arrival marked the culmination of years of effort by the Katy to construct a rail . . . — — Map (db m72862) HM
Ernst Martin Kohl (1857-1935), former German Navy captain who came to Denison in 1885, built the first floor of this structure in 1893 to house a grocery store and saloon. He added the top three floors in 1909-11 as his family's residence. In . . . — — Map (db m72853) HM
In memory of
the men and women of
who have served
Knights of Columbus
Denison County 830
May the souls of the
dearly departed, through
the mercy . . . — — Map (db m72894) HM
In the mid-19th century, mail traffic between the eastern United States and the western states and territories was accomplished via Panama and Cape Horn. In 1857, Congress authorized the postmaster to contract a new overland mail service. The . . . — — Map (db m73214) HM
From pioneer log cabins to a native Texas limestone structure, Grayson County courthouses have taken many shapes and sizes since the county's establishment in 1846. The first courthouse, a frame building on bald prairie a few miles west of the . . . — — Map (db m73211) HM
In May 1861, a frontier unit was organized at Camp Reeves in Sherman. Drawing volunteers from Cooke, Grayson, Hopkins, Red River, Fannin, Collin, Titus and Bowie counties, the regiment began with nearly 900 men and officers. Initially led by the . . . — — Map (db m73248) HM
After the Sherman Division of the Federal District Court for the Eastern District of Texas was established in 1902, plans were made to construct this building to serve the court and the postal service. U. S. Treasury Department Supervising . . . — — Map (db m73399) HM
In the mainstream of Texas history for more than a century, this area was, in 1837, the site of Colonel Holland Coffee's trading post, a landmark structure at the Preston Bend crossing of the Red River.
It was a focal point, beginning in . . . — — Map (db m73242) HM
Military, defense and supply center in the Civil War. 11th Tex. Cav. Regt. raised in this and area counties, May 1861. Removed immediate danger from North by capture [of] Forts Washita, Cobb, Arbuckle in Indian Territory. Beef for . . . — — Map (db m73382) HM
Former Missourian and Civil War veteran Rufus Gaines Hall established a Sherman dry goods store in 1868. The company prospered, in part because it sent 30 notion wagons to sell supplies to settlers on rural farms across 13 counties in North . . . — — Map (db m73390) HM
Opened law practice here, 1884. Became an assistant attorney general of Texas, 1893. Won election, 1897, to Railroad Commission; served 26 years — 16 years as
chairman. The commission had been created in 1891 to regulate shipping rates . . . — — Map (db m73237) HM
Used extensively throughout WW2
468# Gross Weight
Range: 3,075 Yds.
Impact Burst: 40 Yds.
Restoration completed April 2004
due to the efforts of:
Red River Valley
Chapter of the MVPA
(Military Vehicle . . . — — Map (db m73234) HM WM
The Ninth Texas Cavalry consisted of about 1,000 mounted volunteers from Grayson, Tarrant, Hunt, Hopkins, Cass, Red River, Titus, and Lamar counties. They gathered about 15 miles northwest of here at Brogdon's Springs on October 2, 1861, and . . . — — Map (db m73243) HM
Peter Wagener Grayson was born in 1788 in Bardstown, Virginia (later part of Kentucky) to Benjamin and Caroline (Taylor) Grayson, members of a politically prominent family. He served in the War of 1812 and worked in Louisville as an attorney, . . . — — Map (db m73251) HM
One of the most festive events in Sherman's early history, Theodore Roosevelt's 1905 appearance here marked the first visit of a President of the United States to Grayson County.
Traveling to San Antonio to attend a reunion of the . . . — — Map (db m73236) HM
In the 1870s, a joint stock company was organized to construct a hotel in Sherman. One of the largest stockholders was Judge C.C. Binkley, a community leader for whom the hotel would be named. Binkley was also president of the Merchants and . . . — — Map (db m73402) HM
Formerly a 3-story Victorian structure with twin cupolas. Built by Capt. L. F. Ely, who made the bricks in his city factory.
Lavish interior had carpeted aisle, damask curtains and red plush seats. Benches in economy section were called the . . . — — Map (db m73404) HM
[Millstone marker text is damaged]
Marcy's California Trail 1849
Butterfield Trail 1858
Rededicated [November 22,] 2013
Moved and restored by
Love Monument Company
in cooperation with
Judge Drew Bynum
and . . . — — Map (db m73220) HM
under the auspices of the Ex-Confederate Association of Grayson Co. Tex.
Organized July 21, 1888
Mildred Lee Camp U.C.V. May 21, 1892.
Sacred to the memory of our Confederate Dead: true patriots. They fought for home and . . . — — Map (db m73252) HM
The predecessor of this church, the first Disciples of Christ congregation in Texas, was founded during the winter of 1841-1842 at McKinney's Landing in Bowie County near the Texas-Arkansas border.
Collin McKinney, pioneer settler and Signer . . . — — Map (db m73145) HM
Outgrowth of Liberty Class, formed 1847 for Bible study and worship, in log cabin of Jim Creager (1.25 mi. S) by the Rev. Joab Biggs, of the Dallas Methodist Circuit, and M. F. Cole. In 1855, after a rainstorm that detained quarterly conference . . . — — Map (db m73149) HM
The town of Mantua was established about 3 miles southwest of here in 1854. Mantua prospered but was unexpectedly bypassed in 1873 when the Houston and Texas Central Railway (H&TC) extended its track through this area instead. That year a depot . . . — — Map (db m73151) HM
Founded 1850 by James R. and John Diamond, joined later by their brother George, who had founded paper that today is Houston "Post." Station, 1858-1861, on Butterfield Stage Line. The Diamond brothers were political leaders and active in Texas . . . — — Map (db m96726) HM
The Diamond Station was a stop along the nearly 700 mile stretch across the Lone Star State for the Butterfield Overland Mail Stage Line Company. The Butterfield Overland Mail Company held the U.S. Mail contract for the first cross-country trek from . . . — — Map (db m96733) HM
Diamond Cemetery purchased in 1998 by Carroll and Billie Hagan Brown and restored as Pioneer Park. With the assistance of George Rains, the Browns developed this site as a tribute to the founding pioneers of Whitesboro. Maintained as a park and . . . — — Map (db m96742) HM
Settlers moved to this site after Ambrose B. White (1811-83) camped here on his way west from Illinois in 1848. His inn here was on the Butterfield Stage route after 1858. The post office, opened in 1860, was named for White, who surveyed (1869) the . . . — — Map (db m96694) HM