Created February 2, 1842 from Montgomery and Houston counties
Recreated January 22, 1858
Organized August 2, 1858
Named in honor of General James Hamilton, 1786-1857
Lawyer and Governor of South Carolina
Appointed diplomatic agent to . . . — — Map (db m120949) HM
Created and organized in 1858. By 1860 had 489 people in 78 families from 15 states. Vote in 1861 was 86-1 in favor of secession. 60 farmers were organized as Hamilton County Minutemen, a unit of part-time soldiers. Others joined Confederate . . . — — Map (db m71706) HM
Organized Sept. 5, 1880, by Rev. John A. McMurray, evangelist of Central Texas Presbytery.
Its building of early 1880s was first frame church erected in Hamilton; used by other faiths on Sunday evenings for years.
Charter members . . . — — Map (db m70657) HM
In 1881, the Rev. John W. Hearn and Elder L.B. Hickman led 29 members in a newly organized Methodist church in Hico. The congregation held its early services in the Hico schoolhouse, and charter members included the L.T. Dillashaw, J.B. Hillyer, . . . — — Map (db m121023) HM
This site on Honey Creek marks the beginning in 1856 of the settlement of Hico. Earliest families to locate here J. G. Barbee, James R. and Henry Fuller, Isaac Steen, Isaac and Thomas Malone.
In 1860 John R. Alford, a merchant, became the first . . . — — Map (db m120953) HM
First church organized in Fairy. Chartered as "Martin's Gap Methodist Mission" on July 3, 1886, under the Rev. J. S. Moore. Charter members were Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Anderson, Mr. and Mrs. Scott Steward, Lee Anderson, and Mesdames Hattie Chenault, G. . . . — — Map (db m89613) HM