In 1907, Joseph Hezkiah Gruver (1863-1962), his wife, Addie Reed Gruver, and their son, Lawrence, moved from Missouri and settled in this area. A post office was established in 1927 and soon businesses followed. In 1929, at the request of Clarence . . . — — Map (db m93406) HM
Established 1886 about 1/2 mile northeast of this site. Intended to be county seat of Hansford County, created 1876, organized in 1889. Lost election to town of Hansford, which served till 1928 but is also now non-existent.
Named for early . . . — — Map (db m93407) HM
In 1875, a large, two-room pole building furnished with staple groceries and ammunition became the first trading post in Texas above the Canadian River.
The stockade, located in Indian-infested country, was fittingly named for the fierce Zulu . . . — — Map (db m93404) HM
This frame commercial building with decorative sheet metal siding was constructed in 1918. D. E. Dillow built the structure for the mercantile partnership of P. M. Maize and his brother-in-law Fred Brandt (d. 1962). Originally, located in the nearby . . . — — Map (db m93462) HM
Spearman was platted in May 1917 and incorporated in 1921, surviving disastrous fires to become the largest city in the county. A brick school, hospital, and several commercial buildings were built by 1927, and the city council that year made plans . . . — — Map (db m93463) HM
This road was surveyed during the Civil War to haul military supplies to Ft. Bascom, N. Mex. Territory. Then came the buffalo hunters using the trail going to Dodge City hauling hides and buying supplies. Tascosa became a town in the early 1880's. . . . — — Map (db m93408) HM
First burial ground set aside in this county. Earliest grave (1890) was that of Mrs. Alfie P. Magee, wife of the first sheriff. Also, buried here: the Cator brothers, founders of Zulu Stockade; and the Wright brothers, early ranchers.
Only . . . — — Map (db m93445) HM
Formed from Young and Bexar
Created, August 21, 1876
Organized, March 11, 1889
Named in honor of
John M. Hansford
came to Texas in 1837
Member of the Texas Congress
Judge of the Seventh Judicial
District, . . . — — Map (db m93468) HM
At ten minutes before 11:00 a.m. on Monday, September 24, 1934, a small monocoupe airplane landed in a pasture about 1/4 mile west of this site. The pilot taxied his craft to a stop near a windmill, deplaned, and asked the curious resident, "Lady, . . . — — Map (db m93446) HM
Killed while assisting United States marshal making arrest in boundary line dispute in the northwestern part of county.
Like many frontier sheriffs, he was a cowboy and farmer, chosen for office out of regard for his standing as a good citizen. . . . — — Map (db m93460) HM
When Spearman was founded on a branch of the Santa Fe Railroad in 1920, this cottage was built for the stationmaster. As local agent for the railroad, he represented a business vital to the economy of this area. He supervised passenger and freight . . . — — Map (db m93447) HM
This court house was located one fourth mile northwest of here and built in 1891.
It was made of red brick brought overland in wagons from Dodge City, Kansas. It was the first court house in the county.
Surveyed in 1876 and . . . — — Map (db m93444) HM
Founded 1917; incorporated 1921. Named for Thomas C. Spearman, a vice-president and head of the Land Department of the Santa Fe Railway. The Santa Fe line was completed to Spearman in 1920, making this the first railroad shipping point in the . . . — — Map (db m93459) HM
Built 1909, by Bert O. Cator, J. H. Wright and S. B. Hale, Hansford County pioneers. Cator had built first dugout in the Panhandle, 1873; Hale was first druggist in Old Hansford; Wright promoted town of Hansford, now abandoned. Victorian . . . — — Map (db m93461) HM