Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Harris County Texas Historical Markers

266 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 66
 
Bayland Orphanage, The Bayland Guards and Confederate Naval Works at Goose Creek Markers image, Touch for more information
By Jim Evans
Bayland Orphanage, The Bayland Guards and Confederate Naval Works at Goose Creek Markers
Texas (Harris County), Baytown — 10609 — Bayland Orphanage(Site 1/2 mi. SE)
Near Wyoming Street, on the right when traveling north.
Established in 1866 by Texas Confederate veterans for children of deceased soldiers. Had capacity for 250. Rev. Henry F. Gillette was first superintendent. C.S.A. Col. Ashbel Smith, diplomat, soldier and statesman, was staff doctor. Trustees . . . — Map (db m53616) HM
Texas (Harris County), Baytown — 10613 — Bell Prairie
On Harbor View Boulevard at Tri City Beach Road, in the median on Harbor View Boulevard.
Once located southwest of this site was the home of Henry Falvel Gillette (1816-1896). A native of Connecticut, Gillette came to Texas in 1840 at the urging of his cousin, Ashbel Smith. He became a noted educator in Harris, Washington, and Polk . . . — Map (db m53615) HM
Texas (Harris County), Baytown — 13964 — Confederate Naval Works at Goose Creek
Near Wyoming Street, on the right when traveling north.
In 1854, brothers Thomas and John Chubb bought land in the William Scott League on the east bank of Goose Creek at the mouth of Tabbs Bay. On this site, they established the Chubb Shipyard prior to the Civil War. At the time, Texas shipbuilding was . . . — Map (db m53618) HM
Texas (Harris County), Baytown — Dr. Ashbel Smith
Near North Main Street 0.3 miles north of West Cedar Bayou Lynchburg Road, on the left when traveling north.
Ashbel Smith was born in Hartford, Connecticut in 1805. Recieved his M.D. degree from Yale in 1828, and came to Texas from South Carolina in 1837. He established a plantation called Headquarters on Goose Creek in 1840 and in 1847 purchased property . . . — Map (db m61316) HM
Texas (Harris County), Baytown — Goose Creek Stream
Near Price Street at West Texas Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
The name Goose Creek was originated by Indians because in ages past it was a gathering place for huge flocks of geese. On map used by the LaSalle expedition (1684-1687) carries the label Goose Creek on this small stream. During the Civil War (1863) . . . — Map (db m53685) HM
Texas (Harris County), Baytown — 10774 — Homesite of William Scott(Point Pleasant)
On Bayway Drive 0.7 miles south of Park Street, on the right when traveling north.
A native of Virginia, William Scott (1784-1837) was a planter, merchant, and stockraiser in his native state and in Kentucky, where he relocated about 1806. He and his family moved briefly to Louisiana in the early 1820s before coming to Texas with . . . — Map (db m65243) HM
Texas (Harris County), Baytown — 10703 — Humble Oil & Refining Company
On San Jacinto Avenue 200 miles south of Decker Drive, on the right when traveling north.
Ross S. Sterling entered the oil business in 1909, when he invested in the Humble oil field north of Houston. Two years later he formed the Humble Oil Company with five partners: Walter W. Fondren, Charles B. Goddard, William Stamps Farlish, Robert . . . — Map (db m64396) HM
Texas (Harris County), Baytown — 10710 — K'Nesseth Israel Synagogue
On West Sterling Avenue at North Commerce Street, on the right when traveling west on West Sterling Avenue.
In response to area population growth following the early 20th century Goose Creek oil field boom, twenty incorporating members formed the K'Nesseth Israel congregation in 1928 to serve the area's Jewish residents. They hired Houston architect . . . — Map (db m53608) HM
Texas (Harris County), Baytown — 13677 — Lynchburg Town Ferry
On Lynchburg Road 0.1 miles west of Crokett Street, on the right when traveling west.
The Lynchburg Town Ferry, founded in 1822 by Nathaniel Lynch, crosses the Houston Ship Channel downstream of the confluence of the San Jacinto River and Buffalo Bayou. In 1829, the authorities at San Felipe de Austin requested that Lynch move his . . . — Map (db m53534) HM
Texas (Harris County), Baytown — 15755 — The Bayland Guards
Near Wyoming Street, on the right when traveling north.
On April 27, 1861, Dr. Ashbel Smith organized a group of volunteers from Bayland (now Baytown) and Cedar Bayou in Harris County, and Barbers Hill in Chambers County. The group, known as the Bayland Guards, drilled on Smith’s Evergreen Plantation and . . . — Map (db m53617) HM
Texas (Harris County), Baytown — 10806 — Wooster School
Near North Main Street 0.3 miles north of West Cedar Bayou Lynchburg Road, on the left when traveling north.
Constructed in 1895-96 by Quincy Adams Wooster and Junius Brown, this building originally served as a schoolhouse and community gathering place for the Wooster community. It became a part of the Goose Creek School System in 1919. The structure was . . . — Map (db m50136) HM
Texas (Harris County), Bellaire — 10614 — Bellaire
On South Rice Avenue at Laurel Street, on the right when traveling south on South Rice Avenue.
William Wright Baldwin, president of the South End Land Company, founded Bellaire in 1908 on part of the 9,449-acre ranch once owned by William Marsh Rice, benefactor of Rice Institute (now Rice University). Baldwin surveyed the eastern 1,000 acres . . . — Map (db m63838) HM
Texas (Harris County), Bellaire — 10615 — Bellaire Presbyterian Church
On Bellaire Boulevard at 3rd Street, on the right when traveling east on Bellaire Boulevard.
Bellaire residents founded the non-denominational Bellaire Union Congregational Church and Sunday School in 1911. Services and classes were held in the local school building and the town's streetcar terminal known as the “Pavilion.” . . . — Map (db m63828) HM
Texas (Harris County), Bellaire — 10616 — Bellaire Streetcar Line
On Bellaire Boulevard at 3rd Street, on the left when traveling west on Bellaire Boulevard.
In 1909 the Westmoreland Railroad Company, directed by Bellaire developer William Wright Baldwin, began construction of a streetcar line between this site and Houston's Main Street (4 mi. E) to improve transportation between Bellaire and Houston. . . . — Map (db m63827) HM
Texas (Harris County), Bellaire — 10788 — Teas Nursery Company
On Bellaire Boulevard at Newcastle Drive, on the right when traveling west on Bellaire Boulevard.
Teas Nursery Company traces its history to 1843, when John C. Teas (1827-1907) began selling apples out of his back yard in Indiana. After moving the business to Missouri in 1868, Teas became a nationally prominent horticulturist. In 1908 his . . . — Map (db m125890) HM
Texas (Harris County), Cypress — 10623 — Matthew Burnett HomesiteTexas Army Camp - April 16, 1836
On Pleasant Grove Road at Telge Road, on the right when traveling east on Pleasant Grove Road.
Matthew Burnett (1795-1842) and his wife, Sarah (Simmons) (1797-1852), came to Texas from Arkansas in 1831 and settled south of here on Cypress Creek. Their home was near the "Harrisburg Road" which stretched 15 miles northwest to a crossroads at . . . — Map (db m50163) HM
Texas (Harris County), Hockley — 10726 — Samuel McCarley HomesiteTexas Army Camp - April 15, 1836
On Waller-Tomball Road (Farm to Market Road 2920) at A J Foyt Road, on the right when traveling west on Waller-Tomball Road.
Samuel McCarley (1775-1838), his wife Celia (1794-1873), and their ten children settled near here on Spring Creek in 1831. By 1836 the McCarley home was located on a well-traveled road linking Washington-on-the-Brazos (30 mi. NW) with Harrisburg (40 . . . — Map (db m140284) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 1,000 Houstonians Join the Navy
Near Main Street at McKinney Street when traveling south.
On this site on May 30, 1942, 1,000 Houston volunteers took the oath of service in the United States Navy and dedicated their lives to avenging the cruiser USS Houston and her valiant crew lost in the Battle of the Java Sea — Map (db m66151) HM WM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10648 — 1928 Democratic National Convention
On Rusk Street at Bagby Street, on the right when traveling east on Rusk Street.
Due to the efforts of businessman Jesse H. Jones, the Democratic National Committee chose Houston as the site of the 1928 Democratic National Convention. Located on this site, the 20,000-seat Sam Houston Hall was completed in 64 days at a cost of . . . — Map (db m116847) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Alexander Hodge
Near Bagby Street south of Lamar Street, on the right when traveling south.
Erected in 1908 by Lady Washington Chapter D.A.R. in memory of Alexander Hodge one of Marion's Men Born in Pennsylvania, 1760 Died in Texas, 1836 A hero of two Republics — Map (db m116858) WM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10654 — Amos B. Edson
On Valentine Street at West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling south on Valentine Street.
Arrived in Texas January 28, 1836, having been recruited in New Orleans for the Army of Texas by Captain Amasa Turner in whose company he served at San Jacinto. Died in Houston, 1837. — Map (db m59589) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13313 — Ancient Order of Pilgrims
On Lamar Street 0.1 miles west of Bagby Street, on the right when traveling west.
After the Civil War, African Americans faced difficulties finding insurance or securing loans. In the 1870s, Jamaican immigrant Henry Cohen Hardy came to Houston, where he was an educator. Hardy established the Ancient Order of Pilgrims in 1882 to . . . — Map (db m62302) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10596 — Annunciation Church
On Crawford Street at Texas Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Crawford Street.
In style of great European churches. The work of the Very Rev. Joseph Querat, a canon of Cathedral of Lyons, France, and missionary to Texas 1852-1878. Begun 1867 when Father Querat (with aid of parishioners) bought old Harris County Courthouse to . . . — Map (db m62375) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Annunciation Church
On Crawford Street at Texas Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Crawford Street.
Second Catholic church in Houston; outgrowth of St. Vincent’s parish, established in 1839. Although founding pastor planned edifice (1867-1874) in style worthy of a cathedral, it never gained that status. Standing near business center, this was . . . — Map (db m62376) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15812 — Anson Jones(January 20, 1798 - January 9, 1858)
Near Washington Avenue at Custus Street, on the right when traveling east.
Anson Jones was born in Great Barrington, Massachusetts. He earned his M.D. degree in Philadelphia in 1827; by October 1833, Jones had moved to Texas, establishing a successful medical practice in Brazoria. In 1835, he helped organize Holland Lodge . . . — Map (db m122935) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10597 — Antioch Missionary Baptist Church
On Clay Street, on the right when traveling south.
The emancipation of slaves was heralded by federal officials in Galveston on June 19, 1865. Antioch became Houston's first African American Baptist Church when organized by nine former area slaves in 1866. Their first sanctuary, built nearby in . . . — Map (db m116554) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Apollo Mission Control Center
Near E. NASA Pkwy 0.5 miles north of Point Lookout Drive, on the right when traveling west.
NASA — Johnson Space Center National Historic Landmark Designated by the United States Dept. of the Interior Apollo Mission Control Center Apollo 11 Lunar Landing – July 20, 1969 ( plaque inside the VIP Observation . . . — Map (db m102413) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10718 — Archibald S. Lewis
On West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling east.
A member of Captain Benjamin F. Bryant's company at San Jacinto Died in Houston December 3, 1839 — Map (db m129913) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15920 — Archibald Wynns(December 25, 1807 - August 21, 1859)
Near Washington Avenue.
Archibald Wynns was born in Henry County, Tennessee to Thomas Henry and Winniford (Outlaw) Wynns. Archibald married Martha Elizabeth Edmunds in January 1836, and the couple soon set out for Texas. The Wynns constructed their first home on the corner . . . — Map (db m123010) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 18938 — Astrodome
Near NRG Parkway 0.3 miles east of Kirby Drive, on the right when traveling east.
Judge Roy Hofheinz envisioned the world's first air-conditioned fully enclosed multi-purpose stadium by 1960. Officially named the Harris County Domed Stadium, ground was broken for the home of Major League Baseball's Houston Colt .45s on January 3, . . . — Map (db m119849) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10598 — Auditorium Hotel
On Texas Avenue at Louisiana Street, on the right when traveling west on Texas Avenue.
The Auditorium Hotel was built in 1926 for Houston investor Michele DeGeorge (1850-1927), who came to the United States from Italy in 1881. Designed by architect Joseph Finger (1887-1953), the building features Italian renaissance detailing in the . . . — Map (db m62363) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13821 — Augustus Chapman Allen
On Valentine Street at West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling south on Valentine Street.
Augustus Chapman Allen was born to Roland and Sarah (Chapman) Allen in Canaseraga, New York on July 4, 1806. He graduated from the Polytechnic Institute at Chittenango, New York, where he taught mathematics until 1827. That year, he became a . . . — Map (db m59588) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Baker Common
On Preston Street east of Bagby Street, on the right when traveling east.
Baker Common The Baker Family history and Houston’s history are one and the same Few have contributed more to our city’s progress than the members of the James Addison Baker family. They pioneered Texas law, built the law firm Baker Botts, . . . — Map (db m140419) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10612 — Bear Creek Methodist Church and Cemetery
On Highway 6 at Patterson Road, on the right when traveling north on Highway 6.
German immigrants settled in the area surrounding the junction of Langham and Bear creeks in the 1840s. Settlers traveled to nearby churches for Sunday services until about 1879 when seven charter members established the Bear Creek German Methodist . . . — Map (db m73450) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 12435 — Belle Sherman Kendall
Near Washington Avenue at Custus Street, on the right when traveling east.
The daughter of Texas Revolutionary War general Sidney Sherman and Catherine Isabell (Cox), Belle Sherman (1847-1919) was born in Harrisburg and married William E. Kendall in 1867. After making Houston her home in 1878, Belle S. Kendall became a . . . — Map (db m123014) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 12560 — Benjamin Apartments1218 Webster Street
On Webster Street at Caroline Street, on the right when traveling east on Webster Street.
Completed in 1924, this apartment building is a good example of multi-family housing constructed in the south end of downtown Houston after World War I. Successful businessman Benjamin Cohen (1875-1951) hired noted Houston architect Alfred Finn to . . . — Map (db m30199) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 12935 — Blue Triangle Branch, Y.W.C.A. Building
On McGowen Street at Sauer Street, on the right when traveling west on McGowen Street.
In the early 20th century, Houston's African American community wanted to provide recreational facilities for its youth and for African American troops stationed at Camp Logan. Various groups formed, including two interested in the welfare of young . . . — Map (db m62915) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10621 — Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado RailroadSite of General Offices
On Elm Street west of Frio Street, on the right when traveling west.
Building of a railroad from here to the Brazos, to handle commerce of rich plantations, was attempted unsuccessfully in 1840-41 by early merchant Andrew Briscoe and the Harrises who founded Harrisburg. Their holdings, including Harrisburg townsite, . . . — Map (db m77460) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Busy Corners
On Texas Avenue at Main Street, on the right when traveling east on Texas Avenue.
Busy Corners The intersection of Texas Avenue and Main Street has always been a busy one. As Houston grew, the four corners were surrounded by stores, offices, hotels, and movie theaters, which attracted people from near and far. In 1884 . . . — Map (db m140376) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Camp Logan
On Arnot Street at Haskell Street on Arnot Street.
Soon after the United States' entrance into World War I in 1917, the U.S. Army established 34 training camps to prepare troops for warfare. Named for General John A. Logan, Mexican War and Civil War veteran and senator from Illinois, Camp Logan was . . . — Map (db m14103) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10618 — Caspar Braun(March 16, 1822 - October 14, 1880)
Near Washington Avenue.
A native of Germany, Caspar Braun was educated in Switzerland. A physician and teacher as well as a Lutheran clergyman, he was sent to Pennsylvania as a missionary in 1847. He arrived in Houston in 1850. The following year he organized the first . . . — Map (db m123015) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15715 — Charlotte Marie Baldwin Allen(July 14, 1805 - August 3, 1895)
Near Washington Avenue.
Considered by many as the "Mother of Houston," Charlotte Marie Baldwin Allen was a leader in Houston during a time when women had few rights and fewer opportunities. She was born in Onondaga County, New York, and was the daughter of Elizabeth . . . — Map (db m122984) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10631 — Christ Church Cathedral
On Texas Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
The second Episcopal parish in the Republic of Texas. Led by a missionary of the Episcopal Church in the United States, the Rev. R.M. Chapman, and by an early Houstonian, Col. William Fairfax Gray, thirty-nine men came together on March 16, 1839, to . . . — Map (db m116547) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Christ Church Cathedral
On Texas Avenue east of Fannin Street, on the left when traveling east.
Christ Church Cathedral Although this site was designated on the Original Plan of Houston as the School Reserve, its only occupant has been Christ Church. Founded on March 16, 1839, Christ Church was designated the Cathedral of the Episcopal . . . — Map (db m140418) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10632 — Clayton House
Near Caroline Street south of Oakdale Street, on the right when traveling south.
Built in 1916-17, this Georgian Revival house was the home of William L. Clayton (1880-1966), founder of Anderson, Clayton, & Co., a cotton trading firm. A leader in public service as well as business, Clayton was a principal architect of the . . . — Map (db m125878) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10790 — Colonel B.F. TerryFebruary 18, 1821 - December 17, 1861
Near Washington Avenue at Custus Street, on the right when traveling east.
(front) Native of Kentucky. Came to Texas, 1831. Member Secession Convention. Commanded reinforcements of State troops sent to Rio Grande for the capture of Federal Army property at Fort Brown. Went to Virginia hoping to be in first battle . . . — Map (db m122936) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10641 — Courtlandt Place
On Courtlandt Place at Bagby Street, in the median on Courtlandt Place.
Platted in 1907 on land once owned by area pioneer Mrs. Obedience Smith, Courtlandt Place was established as a private neighborhood for Houston's elite. Encompassing 15.47 acres of land, it is a showcase of impressive homes designed by some of the . . . — Map (db m62781) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10673 — Darius Gregg(Nov. 8, 1804 - Mar. 28, 1870)
Near Washington Avenue at Custus Street, on the right when traveling east.
Born in Nicholasville, Jessamine County, Ky. Arrived in Texas, 1827. Received land grant in Austin's second colony, 1831. Fought (Oct.-Dec. 1835) in Siege of Bexar, including the Grass Fight (Nov. 26). Married Susan . . . — Map (db m123022) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10646 — Daughters of the Republic of Texas
On Crawford Street north of Capitol Street, on the left when traveling north.
On November 6, 1891, seventeen women met at the home of Mrs. Andrew Briscoe at this site to organize an auxiliary to the Texas Veterans Association. Mrs. Anson Jones was elected president of the new organization, Daughters of the Lone Star Republic. . . . — Map (db m62378) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15726 — David Finney Stuart, M.D.(August 15, 1833 - September 8, 1909)
Near Washington Avenue.
David Finney Stuart was born in Brooke County, Western Virginia, to William and Mary Cummins Stuart. Upon the death of his parents, Stuart moved to Texas to live with his sister Elizabeth, wife of the Rev. Dr. James Weston Miller. A brother-in-law, . . . — Map (db m122989) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10674 — David Grieves
On West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling east.
A member of Captain Henry Teal's company at San Jacinto Born in Scotland Died in Houston June 15, 1837 — Map (db m129968) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10754 — David Porter Richardson
On West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling east.
Private secretary of President Sam Houston Died at Houston August 12, 1837 — Map (db m129868) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10671 — Edwin Fairfax Gray
Near Washington Avenue.
. . . — Map (db m123012) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10742 — Eli Noland
On Saulnier Street at Valentine Street, on the right when traveling west on Saulnier Street.
In Captain William S. Fisher's company at San Jacinto Born in Ohio in 1804 Died in Houston, December 17, 1841 — Map (db m129948) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13820 — Ellington Field
On Aerospace Avenue at Challenger, on the right when traveling north on Aerospace Avenue.
In 1917, during World War I, the Houston Chamber of Commerce lobbied the federal government to establish an air field here. Named for Lt. Eric Lamar Ellington, an Illinois aviator killed in a California plane crash in 1913, it opened in November . . . — Map (db m58470) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 14925 — Ellis Benson
Near Washington Avenue.
Ellis Benson (1813-1896), a veteran of the Texas Revolution and participant in the Battle of San Jacinto, was born in Vermont. Before immigrating to Texas, he fought in the Black Hawk War (1832) in Illinois. By 1835, Benson was in New Orleans, where . . . — Map (db m122987) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 11965 — Eugene Thomas Heiner(August 20, 1852 - April 26, 1901)
Near Washington Avenue.
Born in New York City to German immigrants Nicholas and Margaretta Heiner, Eugene Thomas Heiner apprenticed himself to a Chicago architect when he was thirteen years old and later completed his training in Berlin, Germany. Heiner became a draftsman . . . — Map (db m122983) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10775 — Fielding G. Secrest
On Valentine Street, on the right when traveling south.
Served in Captain Henry W. Karnes' company of Cavalry at San Jacinto. Died in Houston, June 1, 1840 His wife Eliza Sneed Secrest Died in 1839 — Map (db m129952) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 12912 — First Evangelical Church
On Holman Street at Caroline Street, on the right when traveling west on Holman Street.
On July 1, 1851, a group led by the Rev. Caspar Messon Braun (1822-1880) founded the Erste Deutsche Evangelische Lutherische Kirche, or First German Evangelical Lutheran Church. The State of Texas issued the church's charter in September of that . . . — Map (db m119857) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10661 — First Presbyterian Church of Houston
On South Main Street north of Binz Street, on the right when traveling south.
Organized March 31 (Easter Sunday), 1839, in Senate Chamber, Capitol of Republic of Texas, Main at Texas, by the Rev. Wm. Youel Allen, missionary from the United States, and eleven members. James Burke was elected ruling elder. Services of worship . . . — Map (db m125877) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15922 — First United Methodist Church of Houston
On Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
The foundation of Methodism in Houston began in 1837, when missionaries Martin Ruter and Littleton Fowler established a Sunday School Society. On April 14, 1839, the Rev. Jesse Hord received 14 members by transfer of letter, establishing the . . . — Map (db m116552) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10664 — First White House of the Republic of Texas
On Main Street at Preston Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
. . . — Map (db m61060) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Former Site of Capitol, Republic of Texas
On Texas Avenue east of Travis Street, on the left when traveling east.
Former Site of Capitol, Republic of Texas Texas won its independence from Mexico on April 21, 1836, and became a separate nation. Within a few months the Republic of Texas’s Congress selected the recently-founded town of Houston as the new . . . — Map (db m140374) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10667 — Forum of Civics of River Oaks Garden Club
On Westheimer Road at Argonne Street, on the right when traveling east on Westheimer Road.
Built about 1880. Until 1920, the John Smith School. Restored 1927 by Will Hogg. A memorial since 1942 to Will and Mike Hogg. Gardens added 1955. Open to public. — Map (db m63842) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Founding of Harris County
On Congress Street at San Jacinto Street, on the right when traveling west on Congress Street.
In December 1835, near the beginning of the Texas Revolution, the new Provisional Government of Texas defined the boundary of the Municipality of Harrisburg, similar to the extent of Harris County today. Its largest town and seat of government was . . . — Map (db m119465) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10590 — George Allen(April 12, 1812 - June 5, 1854)
On West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling east.
Texas War for Independence soldier; served also in Somervell Expedition against aggressors in Republic of Texas. Born in New York state. Came to Texas in 1830s. Settled 1838 in Houston, to help his brothers, Augustus C. and John Kirby Allen, . . . — Map (db m129875) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10593 — Gravesite of John Kirby Allen (1810-1838)Co-founder of Houston
On Valentine Street at West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling south on Valentine Street.
Houston in 1836 was a humid swamp overgrown with sweet gum trees and coffee bean weeds. In this spot, however, two brothers from New York recognized the future "commercial emporium of Texas." John Kirby Allen was born and lived in New York . . . — Map (db m59839) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 14042 — Gulf Building
On Travis Street, on the right when traveling north.
Prominent real estate developer, publisher, statesman and banker Jesse H. Jones opened the Gulf Building in 1929 with Gulf Oil, National Bank of Commerce, and Sakowitz Brothers as primary tenants. Alfred C. Finn designed the 430-foot high Art Deco . . . — Map (db m116995) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13710 — Gustav August Forsgard
Near Washington Avenue.
Gustav (Gustaf, Gustave) August Samuelson (1832-1919) was one of 13 children born to Johannes Samuelson and Anna Petersdotter of Forserum, Sweden. At the age of 16, he emigrated from Sweden, arriving in Houston with a group of other Scandinavians on . . . — Map (db m122988) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10677 — Harris County
On Congress Street at San Jacinto Street, on the right when traveling west on Congress Street.
Inhabited during the 17th century by Karankawa and Orcoquiza Indians, and considered in 1756 by Spain for site of Presidio de San Agustin de Ahumada, this region was settled permanently in 1822 by the colonists of Stephen F. Austin. In 1824 John R. . . . — Map (db m59557) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 16354 — Harris County 1910 Courthouse
On Fannin Street at Congress Street, on the right when traveling north on Fannin Street.
This site has served as the courthouse square for Harris (originally Harrisburg) County since the completion of the first county courthouse, a two-story frame structure, in April 1838. Later courthouses were constructed on this site in 1851, 1860 . . . — Map (db m119967) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10679 — Harris County Courthouse of 1910
Near Fannin Street at Congress Street, on the right when traveling north. Reported missing.
When brothers Augustus C. and John K. Allen founded Houston in 1836, they designated this site as the Courthouse Square. In 1837 Houston became the Harrisburg (later Harris) County Seat, and a two-story pine log courthouse was constructed here. . . . — Map (db m61116) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10688 — Harvey Homan
On Valentine Street, on the right when traveling south.
Came to Texas in January, 1836 Fought at San Jacinto in Captain Richard Roman's company Born in Kentucky, 1806 Died in Houston July, 1846 — Map (db m129949) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10796 — Henry Livingston Thompson
On Saulnier Street, on the right when traveling west.
Commodore of the Texan Navy Died in Houston, Nov. 1, 1837 "The funeral of the late Commodore Thompson took place on the morning of Thursday last. His remains were followed to the grave by the largest and most respectable . . . — Map (db m129917) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10684 — Hogg Building
On Louisiana Street at Preston Street, on the right when traveling north on Louisiana Street.
Noted Houston business and civic leader Will C. Hogg (1875-1930) had this commercial structure built in 1921. Early tenants included the Armor Auto Company and the Great Southern Life Insurance Company. The art deco building, designed by the . . . — Map (db m62353) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10685 — Holcombe House
On Holcombe Boulevard 0.1 miles west of Cambridge Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
Businessman and developer Oscar Holcombe (1888-1968) and his wife Mary hired Houston architect L.W. Lindsay to design this home. Completed in 1925, it featured gardens designed by landscape architect Herbert L. Skogland. Outstanding features of the . . . — Map (db m59776) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10686 — Holland Lodge No. 1Ancient Free & Accepted Masons of Texas
On Montrose Boulevard at Milford Street, on the right when traveling north on Montrose Boulevard.
First Masonic Lodge in Texas. Organized in March 1835 at Brazoria. Set to work Dec. 27, 1835, under dispensation of Grand Lodge of Louisiana, for whose 1835-37 Grand Master, John Henry Holland, this lodge was named. Labors were interrupted in Feb. . . . — Map (db m59774) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10787 — Horace Dickinson Taylor(1821-1890)
On Preston Street west of Smith Street, on the left when traveling east.
At the age of 17 Horace Dickinson Taylor left his native Massachusetts with his brother, Edward, after the sudden death of their parents. They settled in Independence, Texas, in 1838, and in 1848 the Taylor brothers moved to Houston where they . . . — Map (db m116812) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10691 — Houston Bar Association
On Fannin Street, on the left when traveling south.
Members of the legal profession began practicing in Houston in 1837, one year after Texas gained its independence from Mexico and became a Republic. The earliest evidence of organization among the city's attorneys dates to 1870, when the original . . . — Map (db m116548) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15714 — Houston Cemetery Company
On Washington Avenue at Custus Street, on the right when traveling east on Washington Avenue.
The Houston Cemetery Company was one of several chartered and private associations promoted by Houston business leaders for the purpose of effecting civic, cultural and economic improvements following the Civil War. Houston Cemetery Company was . . . — Map (db m122956) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10692 — Houston City, Republic of Texas
On Bagby Street at McKinney Street, on the right when traveling south on Bagby Street.
By vote of Congress, Nov. 30, 1836, chosen temporary capital for new Republic of Texas. At the time a small townsite at the head of Buffalo Bayou navigation. Into a "Houston City" of mud, tents, cabins on April 1, 1837, came President Sam Houston . . . — Map (db m62875) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10693 — Houston Cotton Exchange and Board of Trade
On Travis Street at Franklin Street, on the right when traveling south on Travis Street.
Founded in 1874 to facilitate trade in the expanding cotton market. This Victorian renaissance revival edifice, designed by Eugene T. Heiner, was built in 1884-85 by contractors Max Kosse and James S. Lucas. The exchange room and galleries were . . . — Map (db m59561) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10694 — Houston Fire Station No. 7
On Milam Street 0.1 miles north of McGowen Street, on the left when traveling south.
Houston's oldest fire house, this building was designed by Olle J. Lorehn (c.1864-1939) and was completed in January 1899. The two-story brick structure features rusticated stone details, a five-bay front with central arched entry flanked by two . . . — Map (db m62757) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10695 — Houston Heights
On Heights Boulevard at Katy Freeway Service Road (Frontage Interstate 10 Frontage Road), in the median on Heights Boulevard.
Representatives of the American Loan and Trust Company of Omaha, Nebraska, came to Houston in 1890 to scout locations for land development. Under the leadership of O.M. Carter, D.D. Cooley, and others, company directors purchased 1,756 acres of land . . . — Map (db m122957) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10697 — Houston Light Guard Armory
Near Alabama Street at Caroline Street, on the right when traveling east.
Designed by noted Houston architect Alfred C. Finn, the Armory was constructed in 1925 to replace an 1892 building that had become obsolete. Finn detailed the building to suggest a late renaissance period neo-Gothic English masonry, represented by . . . — Map (db m119860) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13093 — Houston Public Library
On McKinney Street 0.1 miles east of Bagby Street, on the right when traveling east.
Within 10 years of its founding in 1836, Houston was a bustling city. Throughout the 1840s, the city's professionals came together in debating societies to discuss a variety of topics. They created the Houston Circulating Library to provide . . . — Map (db m62370) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15713 — Houston's First Sit-in
On Almeda Road south of Cleburne Street, on the right when traveling south.
From 1896 until the 1960s in the southern United States, Jim Crow laws effectively banned African Americans from using public facilities and basic services that were used by whites. In March 1960, thirteen students from Texas Southern University . . . — Map (db m140666) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10720 — Irvin Capers Lord
Near Washington Avenue.
South Carolina native Irvin Capers Lord (1827-1914) came to Houston with his family in 1854. A machinist by trade, he was co-owner of Lord and Richardson's Eagle Iron Works. In 1858 he was elected alderman, representing the First Ward until 1863 . . . — Map (db m123013) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 14605 — Jacob Maybee
On Valentine Street, on the right when traveling south.
Came to Texas in 1835 A member of Captain William S. Fisher's company at San Jacinto Died at Houston February 8, 1838 — Map (db m129955) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10634 — James Collinsworth
On West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling east.
(Front) Born in Tennessee, 1806. Drowned in Galveston, July 11, 1839, and his remains brought by boat up Buffalo Bayou to Houston His remains interred in this cemetery under the auspices of Temple Lodge No. 4. First . . . — Map (db m129870) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — James L. Autry House
On Courtlandt Place west of Bagby Street, on the right when traveling east.
Mississippi native James L. Autry (1859-1920) moved to Corsicana in 1876. There he studied law and held civic offices at the time of the first oil discoveries in Texas. He was chief counsel for the Texas Co. (later Texaco) and a pioneer in the new . . . — Map (db m62820) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 18498 — James Robert Cade(June 15, 1845 - November 5, 1912)
Near Washington Avenue.
Born in England in 1845, James Robert Cade immigrated to the United States in mid-1869, arriving in Harrisburg, Texas, in 1873 with his new bride, Annie Mortimer, also of English descent. James Robert previously trained in England as a railroad . . . — Map (db m123020) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 18533 — James S. and Alfred T. Lucas
Near Washington Avenue.
James Sherwood Lucas (1836-1888) and his son Alfred T. Lucas (1863-1922) immigrated to the United States and became influential brick masons and contractors who helped develop the city of Houston. James Lucas was born in Nottingham, England, to . . . — Map (db m122992) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10602 — Jethro Russell Bancroft
On West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling east.
Came to Texas in 1830 Served in Captain Thomas H. McIntire's company at San Jacinto Died January 7, 1848 — Map (db m129969) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — John Austin Wharton
On West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling east.
(Front:) Erected by the State of Texas to the memory of John Austin Wharton Born in Nashville, Tennessee in 1806 Died at Houston, Texas December 17, 1838 (Rear:) Member of the General Council of the . . . — Map (db m129972) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10629 — John Cheevers
On Saulnier Street, on the right when traveling west.
Came to Texas in 1829 Died in Houston in 1846 Participated in the Battle of San Jacinto as a member of Captain Thomas H. McIntire's company — Map (db m129919) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10594 — John Kirby Allen
On West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling east.
(Front) Born in Canasareaugh, New York 1810. Came to Texas in 1832. Died in Houston August 18, 1838 (Rear) John K. Allen was a member of the first Congress of the Republic (1836-1837) from Nacog- doches County. . . . — Map (db m129873) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10753 — John R. Reid
On West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling east.
. . . — Map (db m129871) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10755 — John Richardson
On Saulnier Street, on the right when traveling west.
Came to Texas, 1834. In Captain James Gillaspie's company at San Jacinto Died in Houston, May 25, 1840 — Map (db m129918) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10799 — John Viven
On West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling east.
A member of Captain William Wood's company at San Jacinto Died in Houston, October 26, 1856 — Map (db m129912) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10737 — John W. Moore
On West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling east.
Opposed Bradburn at Anahuac 1832. Member of the Consul- tation at San Felipe in 1835. Signer of the Declaration of Independence, 1836. First sheriff of Harris County, 1837 to 1840. City alderman in Houston, 1840. Married to Eliza . . . — Map (db m129910) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10655 — Joseph Ehlinger
On West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling east.
Born in Alsace, France 1792 Died in Houston, Texas 1845 Served in Captain William J. E. Heard's company at San Jacinto — Map (db m129911) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13888 — Julia Ideson Building
On McKinney Street 0.1 miles east of Bagby Street, on the right when traveling east.
Early efforts by Houston's Lyceum, local women's organizations and Andrew Carnegie's national foundation led to the 1904 Houston Lyceum and Carnegie Library Building. Julia Bedford Ideson, hired in 1903, was the city's first librarian. Under her . . . — Map (db m62371) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Kress Building
On Main Street north of Rusk Street, on the right when traveling north.
Kress Building 705 Main Street Built in 1913 Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m140322) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13296 — League of United Latin American Citizens, Council 60
On Bagby Street at Anita Street, on the right when traveling south on Bagby Street.
On February 17, 1929, representatives from three organizations met in Corpus Christi to merge and form the League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC). The new group sought to unify statewide efforts to challenge racism and inequities toward . . . — Map (db m119971) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Little Joe II
Near E. NASA Pkwy 0.5 miles north of Point Lookout Drive, on the right when traveling west.
The first major flight tests in the Apollo program were performed by the Little Joe II launch vehicle. These unmanned flights tested the command module launch escape system and qualified it for operational use in the Apollo program. The test . . . — Map (db m102718) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Little Joe II and BP-22: Safety First
On Second Street just south of Avenue D, on the left when traveling south.
Little Joe II and BP-22: Safety First A rocket similar to this one-stage rocket, nicknamed Little Joe II, was used from 1963 to 1966 to test the Apollo/Saturn V Launch Escape System (LES). The LES was designed to propel the crew capsule to . . . — Map (db m141173) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13017 — Magnolia Brewery Building
On Franklin Street at Milam Street, on the left when traveling east on Franklin Street.
Magnolia Brewery was part of the Houston Ice and Brewing Company, founded in the late 19th century by Hugh Hamilton. Some of the brewery's popular brands included Magnolia, Southern Select and Richelieu beers. This building, designed by H.C. Cooke . . . — Map (db m62368) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Magnolia Park City Hall and Central Fire Station
Near Avenue F at 73rd Street, on the right.
The city of Magnolia Park was incorporated on July 1, 1913, on property first developed by John Thomas Brady in 1890 as a large excursion park. For the municipality's first ten years, city offices were located in various temporary facilities, all . . . — Map (db m114758) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10736 — Major Isaac N. Moreland
On Valentine Street, on the right when traveling south.
Born in Georgia. Came to Texas in 1834. Storming of Bexar, 1835. Commanded the artillery at San Jacinto. Made Major, July 20, 1836. Law partner of David G. Burnet, 1837. Died June 7, 1840 while Chief Justice of Harris County. Buried . . . — Map (db m129950) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 16770 — Maurice Joseph Sullivan(June 21, 1884 - December 15, 1961)
On San Jacinto Street at Southmore Boulevard, on the left when traveling north on San Jacinto Street.
Maurice J. Sullivan, son of Maurice and Margaret (Fitzsimons) Sullivan, was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He attended Detroit College (1901-1903) and studied structural and civil engineering at the University of Michigan (1904-1906). While . . . — Map (db m125881) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10729 — Merchants and Manufacturers Building
Near North Main Street south of Girard Street, on the left when traveling north.
This building was constructed to house the activities of Houston's merchants and manufacturers during the post-World War I economic boom. Its location provided access to water, rail, and truck transportation of goods. Completed in 1930, the M & M . . . — Map (db m119467) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Mercury-Redstone
On E. NASA Pkwy 0.5 miles north of Point Lookout Drive, on the right when traveling west.
A one-man spacecraft-booster combination like this one propelled the first two American astronauts (Al Shepard and Gus Grissom) into Space in May and July of 1961. Al Shepard's spacecraft reached an altitude of 101 nautical miles in a ballistic arc . . . — Map (db m102720) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10733 — Moonshine Hill
On Farm to Market Road 1960 0.3 miles east of Moonshine Hill Road, on the right when traveling west.
Early reports of natural gas seepages in this area were not uncommon in the late 19th century. James Slaughter noticed such natural occurences near the San Jacinto River in 1887. Several years later, with S. A. Hart, he set up a drilling operation . . . — Map (db m122933) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10734 — Moore Log House
Near Wilchester Boulevard 0.2 miles south of Memorial Drive.
In 1931-32 Edith L. Moore and her husband built this house of pine logs they cut from their land. The stone fireplace and chimney were built of sandstone curbstones salvaged from downtown Houston. Dairy farming and logging provided their livelihood. . . . — Map (db m51060) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10619 — Moses W. Brigham
On Saulnier Street, on the right when traveling west.
A member of Captain Amasa Turner's company Battle of San Jacinto Died in Houston 1854 — Map (db m129953) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10716 — Mrs. Rebecca LamarIn Memory of
On West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling east.
Widow of John Lamar and mother of Mirabeau B. Lamar Died at "Oak Grove" in Houston July 26, 1839 — Map (db m129865) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 12976 — Myers-Spalti Manufacturing Plant
On Lottman Street at Runnels Street, on the left when traveling north on Lottman Street.
The City of Houston developed rapidly in the 19th century due in large part to its capacity for shipping and transportation. This was made possible by waterways, such as Buffalo Bayou, and railroads, five of which radiated from the city in 1861. . . . — Map (db m62835) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10630 — Nichols-Rice-Cherry House
Near Bagby Street south of Lamar Street, on the right when traveling south.
Greek Revival house built 1850 by Gen. Ebenezer Nichols at Congress and San Jacinto streets, sold to Wm. M. Rice, a philanthropist, 1856. Bought by Mrs. E. R. Cherry, 1897, with $25 bid on front door; moved by her to 806 Fargo. Later moved here and . . . — Map (db m116857) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10680 — Old Harrisburg
Near Frio Street at Lawndale Street, on the left when traveling north.
Early Texas port and trading post. Site of state's first steam saw, grist mills and railroad terminal. Town founded, 1826, by John R. Harris, who was first settler in 1823. Became shipping center for early colonies, established when Texas was part . . . — Map (db m62910) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Old Harrisburg
On Frio Street near Lawndale Street, on the left when traveling north.
The town was founded in 1836 by John Richardson Harris, a native of New York State and one of the "Old Three Hundred" Texas colonists. He died of yellow fever in 1829, while visiting in New Orleans. His wife, Jane Birdsall Harris, and the oldest of . . . — Map (db m62912) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10724 — Old Market Square
On Congress Street at Travis Street, on the right when traveling east on Congress Street.
Platted 1836 by surveyors Gail Borden, Jr., and Moses Lapham as "Congress Square." It was intention of city fathers Augustus C. and John K. Allen to have permanent Capitol of Republic of Texas located here. However, this was never realized and . . . — Map (db m61082) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13317 — Origins of Freedman's Town
On West Dallas Street at Heiner Street, on the right when traveling west on West Dallas Street.
Located in Houston's Fourth Ward, the original Freedman's Town settlement was founded soon after the emancipation of enslaved blacks on June 19, 1865, at the end of the Civil War in Texas. Positioned west of downtown and directly south of Buffalo . . . — Map (db m59562) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10744 — Pillot Building
On Fannin Street at Congress Street, on the right when traveling south on Fannin Street.
The original building at this site, a cast iron front structure, was built between 1857 and 1869. Early tenants of the building, owned by French-born merchant and Houston civic leader Eugene Pillot (1820-1896), included attorneys, real estate . . . — Map (db m61013) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10745 — Pillot House
Near Bagby Street north of Lamar Street, on the left when traveling north. Reported missing.
Built 1868 by Eugene Pillot, at 1803 McKinney. Occupied for almost a century by his family. — Map (db m63311) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Republic Building
On Preston Street east of Main Street, on the left when traveling east.
Republic Building Completed in 1907 by the original owner, Allen Paul, the Republic Building characterizes the Chicago School of commercial architecture which was prevalent during the early twentieth century. The architectural firm of . . . — Map (db m140372) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 17005 — Rice University
On Unnamed road just east of Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
William Marsh Rice (1816-1900) came to Texas in 1838 and through extensive entrepreneurship became one of the state's wealthiest men. Rice envisioned a polytechnic school as his philanthropic legacy. The State of Texas chartered the William M. . . . — Map (db m140718) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10604 — Robert Barr
On West Dallas Street, on the right when traveling east.
San Jacinto veteran. Postmaster General of the Republic under Houston and Lamar. Born in Urbana, Ohio in 1802. Died in Houston, Texas at 9 a.m. October 11, 1839, of yellow fever. Buried under the auspices of the Masonic and . . . — Map (db m129915) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10732 — Robert W. Montgomery
On Saulnier Street, on the right when traveling west.
A member of Captain Henry Teal's company of Regulars at San Jacinto Died in Houston June, 1837 — Map (db m129970) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Safety Follows Wisdom
On North Hutcheson Street at Hutcheson St. and Freund St. on North Hutcheson Street.
Portland Cement Association Safety Trophy Award Trinity Portland Cement Company Houston Texas Plant for a Perfect Safety Record in 1929 Reawarded for a Perfect Safety Record in 1945, 1947, 1959 — Map (db m83582) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15758 — Sam Houston Park
On Bagby Street at Lamar Street (Allen Parkway), on the left when traveling north on Bagby Street.
Sam Houston Park began with Nathaniel Kelly Kellum's purchase of 13 acres on the south bank of Buffalo Bayou in 1844 and 1845. Here Kellum built a brick factory, a tannery and his residence. The property was later sold to Zerviah Noble, who held it . . . — Map (db m62253) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10766 — San Felipe Cottage
Near Bagby Street north of Lamar Street, on the left when traveling north. Reported missing.
Oldest surviving house in Houston; built 1837 on land of Mrs. Obedience Smith, an early settler. — Map (db m63322) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10773 — San Jacinto High School
Near Holman Street at Caroline Street, on the right when traveling east.
South End Junior High School opened its doors in 1914 with 750 students in an impressive classical revival style structure built here in 1913. South End Junior High became a senior high school in 1923, and in 1926 its name was changed to San Jacinto . . . — Map (db m119852) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — San Jacinto Street
On Texas Street at San Jacinto Street, on the right when traveling east on Texas Street.
San Jacinto Street San Jacinto Street received its name from the battle fought on April 21, 1836, alongside the San Jacinto River, where the Texans won their independence from Mexico. This street was not only a major commercial artery, but it . . . — Map (db m140416) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Site of Capitol of the Republic of Texas1837-38-39 & 42
On Texas Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
Commemorating days when after her glorious struggle Texas stood an independent nation. — Map (db m116809) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10635 — Site of Confederate Prison Compound
On Girard Street east of Travis Street, on the left when traveling east.
Before 1861, site of warehouse serving Buffalo Bayou shipping. At times during 1861-65, the building here housed prisoners of war. In Jan. 1863 it held 350 Federals captured by Houston-based Confederate army of Gen. John B. Magruder. The city also . . . — Map (db m119862) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Site of General Sam Houston House
On Caroline Street south of Preston Street, on the left when traveling south.
Site of house where General Sam Houston, President of the Republic of Texas lived, 1837-1838 — Map (db m116844) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Site of Home of President Sam Houston
On Caroline Street south of Preston Street, on the left when traveling south.
Site of Home of President Sam Houston of the Republic of Texas 1837-9 — Map (db m116845) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10721 — Site of Lubbock Ranch
Near Rockhill Street near Glencrest Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
Texas statesman Francis Richard Lubbock (1815-1905) owned a 1300-acre ranch near this site. A native of South Carolina, Lubbock came to Houston in 1837. He soon opened a general store and was a business, political and civic leader. He served as . . . — Map (db m50142) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10690 — Site of Old Houston Academy
On Austin Street at Rusk Street, on the left when traveling north on Austin Street.
Founded 1856. Lost most of its male students to Confederate army in Civil War. In 1864-1865 building was used as an army hospital. Was site in 1867 for the lying-in-state of body of General Albert Sidney Johnston, who had lived near Houston. (A . . . — Map (db m125722) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Site of the home of A.C. and Charlotte M. Allen
On Main Street at Rusk Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Site of the home of A.C. and Charlotte M. Allen who named this city for the hero of San Jacinto General Sam Houston 1836 John McKnitt Alexander Chapter D.A.R. 1936 This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by . . . — Map (db m140378) HM WM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Site of the National Women's ConferenceNovember 18 - 21, 1977
On Bagby Street at Walker Street, on the right when traveling west on Bagby Street.
The Sam Houston Coliseum, now the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts, was the site of the first National Women's Conference held on November 18th through 21st, 1977. It was the largest political conference of women in the United States since the . . . — Map (db m117295) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15955 — Site of the Organization of Lady Washington Chapter, NSDAR
On Texas Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
The Lady Washington Chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR) was organized on November 14, 1899, when 10 of the original 17 organizing members met in the western parlor of the Capitol Hotel (later known as the . . . — Map (db m116808) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10781 — Sons of the Republic of Texas
On Lamar Street 0.1 miles west of Bagby Street, on the right when traveling west.
On April 10, 1893, under the guidance of Francis Marion Otis Fenn, a local lodge was organized in Richmond for the benefit of male descendants of Texas Revolution veterans. The Richmond group traveled to Houston a few days later, and on April 20, . . . — Map (db m62308) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13592 — St. Joseph Hospital
Near St Joseph Parkway at La Branch Street, on the left when traveling west.
St. Joseph Hospital, Houston’s first general hospital, opened in 1887 as St. Joseph’s Infirmary. Six sisters from the congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, who came to Houston from St. Mary’s Infirmary in Galveston, . . . — Map (db m117464) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13591 — St. Paul's United Methodist Church
On Main Street at Binz Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
At the beginning of the 20th century, members of Houston’s Methodist community worked toward organizing a new congregation on what was then the burgeoning south end of town. In December 1905, individuals met at the J.O. Ross family home and held . . . — Map (db m61005) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — State National Bank Building
On Main Street south of Preston Street, on the left when traveling south.
State National Bank Building Entered in the National Register of Historic Places 1982 — Map (db m140323) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10786 — Sweeney, Coombs & Fredericks Building
On Main Street at Congress Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
This late-Victorian commercial building with a 3-story corner turret and Eastlake decorative elements was designed by George E. Dickey in 1889. Evidence indicates that the 1889 construction may have been a renovation of an 1861 structure built by . . . — Map (db m60989) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 14339 — Temple Beth Israel
On Austin Street at Holman Street, on the right when traveling west on Austin Street.
Congregation Beth Israel is the oldest Jewish congregation in Texas. Early Jewish families that settled in the area formed the Hebrew Benevolent Society in 1844, under the leadership of Lewis Levy. By 1854, seventeen adults organized themselves into . . . — Map (db m119855) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Texan Capture of Mexican DispatchesThe San Jacinto Campaign in Southwest Harris County
On North 2nd Street north of Bellaire Boulevard, on the left when traveling north.
After the fall of the Alamo on March 6, 1836, Gen. Sam Houston led the Texan Army in retreat from Gonzales. The Mexican army under Gen. Santa Anna followed eastward from San Antonio. On April 14, while Houston's army was north of him, Santa Anna led . . . — Map (db m35917) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — The Capture of Santa Anna
Near North Shaver Street 0.4 miles north of Crown Street.
This point is the approximate site of the capture of Santa Anna, the president of Mexico, and commander of the Mexican army-by James A. Sylvester, Joel W. Robison, Edward Miles, S.R. Bostick, Joseph Vermillion and Thompson, all soldiers of the Texas . . . — Map (db m60821) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 11951 — The Garden Club of Houston
On South Main Street at Montrose Boulevard, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street.
In 1924, seven friends who lived near the newly constructed Museum of Fine Arts formed the Garden Club of Houston. They planned to study horticulture, experiment with new plants and further the beautification of the city of Houston. From this small . . . — Map (db m125880) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10696 — The Houston Light Guard
On Caroline Street at Alabama Street, on the right when traveling south on Caroline Street.
Organized as a Texas Militia unit on April 21, 1873, the Houston Light Guard originally participated in parades, ceremonies, and competitive drills, and served as guard of honor for visiting dignitaries. The first commander was Capt. Edwin Fairfax . . . — Map (db m119858) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10712 — The Kennedy Bakery
On Congress Street at Travis Street, on the right when traveling west on Congress Street.
Irish native John Kennedy (1819-78) came to Houston in 1842. A baker, he operated a store at other locations in the city before commissioning the construction of this building about 1860 for a steam bakery. Kennedy later established other operations . . . — Map (db m61009) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 11973 — The Rev. William M. Tryon(March 10, 1809 - November 16, 1847)
Near Washington Avenue.
William Milton Tryon of New York City lost his father at the age of 9. At 17, young William was baptized. He and his mother moved to Georgia in 1832 where William was licensed to preach. He attended the Mercer Institute and was ordained as a . . . — Map (db m122994) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10777 — The Sheridan Apartments
On Milam Street near McGowen Street, on the left when traveling south.
This three-story apartment building was constructed in 1922 to help ease a housing shortage in Houston. It was built and owned by Robert C. Duff, a prominent Texas railroad man and banker before the Great Depression. The building features bracketed . . . — Map (db m130824) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — The Spirit of the Confederacy
Near Bagby Street at Lamar Street, on the right when traveling south.
The Spirit of the Confederacy Erected by the Robert E. LeeChapter N. 186 U.D.C.January 1908To all the heroes of the South who fought for the principles of States rights. Monument Committee Julia H Franklin, Bettie P. Mutcheson, Ella H. Sydnor, . . . — Map (db m117428) WM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10800 — The Waldo Mansion
On Westmorland Street at Garrott Street, on the right when traveling west on Westmorland Street.
A Confederate veteran, J. P. Waldo (1839-1896) settled in Houston after the Civil War. He married Mary Virginia Gentry (1849-1922), daughter of railroad promoter Abram Gentry. Waldo soon became a prosperous railroad executive. In 1885 he built this . . . — Map (db m62780) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10689 — Thomas William House(March 4, 1814 - January 17, 1880)
On Rusk Street east of Bagby Street, on the left when traveling east.
A native of Stoke St. Gregory in Somersetshire, England, T.W. House emigrated to the United States in May 1835. A baker by trade, he soon was employed by the St. Charles Hotel in New Orleans. By 1838 he had moved to Houston and established the . . . — Map (db m116813) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 11952 — Thomas William House, Jr.(1846-1923)
On Rusk Street at San Jacinto Street, on the left when traveling east on Rusk Street.
T. W. House, Jr., was the third of eight children born to Thomas William (1814-1880) and Mary Elizabeth (Shearn) (1822-1870) House. T.W. House, Sr., was an English immigrant who established the T.W. House Bank in 1838 and became mayor of Houston in . . . — Map (db m116848) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10797 — Trinity Episcopal Church
On Main Street at Holman Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
Established in 1893, Trinity Episcopal Church acquired this site in 1910. Construction of the sanctuary, designed by architect Ralph Adams Cram, began in 1917 and was completed in 1919. Features of the Gothic revival structure include a basilica . . . — Map (db m119850) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13318 — Twentieth Century Development of Freedman's Town
On West Gray Street at Taft Street, on the right when traveling east on West Gray Street.
Founded on the south banks of Buffalo Bayou soon after the June 19, 1865 emancipation of enslaved blacks, Freedman's Town became the center of Houston's African American community. It originally stretched from Buffalo Bayou south to Sutton Street, . . . — Map (db m62928) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 14912 — W. L. and Susan Clayton
Near Caroline Street north of Calumet Street, on the right when traveling south.
Mississippi native William Lockhart Clayton (1880-1966) left school early to become a court reporter. His skill attracted an executive of the American Cotton Company, and he moved first to St. Louis then to the New York office the following year. He . . . — Map (db m125879) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 18068 — Washington Cemetery
Near Washington Avenue at Custus Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Deutsche Gesellschaft von Houston, founded in 1875, established the German Society Cemetery in February 1887 by purchasing this property, then located outside the city limits, from the heirs of John Lawrence and Thomas Hart. Twelve-space . . . — Map (db m122929) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10785 — William C. Swearingen
On Saulnier Street, on the right when traveling west.
Born in Kentucky. Arrived at Velasco, January 28, 1836 on the schooner Pennsylvania to fight for the freedom of Texas. A member of Captain Amasa Turner's company at San Jacinto. Died in Houston, December 24, 1839 "Kiss William . . . — Map (db m129971) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10652 — William Daniel Durham
On Saulnier Street, on the right when traveling west.
Born in England in 1814 Participated in the capture of Bexar, December 5th to 10th, 1835. Served in Captain William J. E. Heard's company at San Jacinto and was Second Lieutenant in the Milam Guards when he died at Houston, Aug- . . . — Map (db m129916) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15757 — William Gammell(October 18, 1812 - April 10, 1869)
Near Washington Avenue.
William Gammell was born in Ayshire, Scotland. He and his parents immigrated to the United States, settling in Lowell, Massachusetts. Gammell arrived in Texas during the spring of 1836, where he enlisted in the Texian Army on April 5. He served in . . . — Map (db m122985) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10668 — William Gammell
On Valentine Street, on the right when traveling south.
Born in Scotland. Fought at San Jacinto in Captain A. H. Wyly's company. Died in Houston, April 10, 1869 and was buried here. His widow Jane McDaniel Gammell Died November 11, 1908 and was buried in the Glenwood . . . — Map (db m129951) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10783 — William S. Stilwell
On Saulnier Street, on the right when traveling west.
A Private in Captain Isaac N. Moreland's company of Artillery at San Jacinto. Appointed Captain, December 26, 1836. Born in New York 1809. Died in Houston September 12, 1837 "Died in this city, on the 12th inst., suddenly, . . . — Map (db m129954) HM
Texas (Harris County), Humble — 10700 — City of Humble
On West Main Street at Bender Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street.
A pioneer oil boom town. Originated as crossroads community named for settler Pleasant Smith Humble (1835?-1912), who lived here before 1889, hewing his timber into railroad ties, mining gravel from his land, keeping store, and serving as justice of . . . — Map (db m71786) HM
Texas (Harris County), Humble — 10662 — First United Methodist Church of Humble
On East Main Street at South Avenue G, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street.
Founded in 1886, Humble was an oil boom town in 1907 when the Rev. J. T. Browning of Houston began conducting Methodist worship services for residents of the area. The services were first held in a building that had housed a bottle factory. In 1908, . . . — Map (db m122931) HM
Texas (Harris County), Humble — 10701 — Humble Cemetery
On Houston Avenue at Isaacks Road, on the left when traveling south on Houston Avenue.
This cemetery is believed to be the town of Humble's oldest. The earliest documented burial is that of Joseph Dunman (1867-1879). Also believed to be buried here in an unmarked grave is Jane Elizabeth Humble, wife of the community's founder, . . . — Map (db m56714) HM
Texas (Harris County), Humble — 20025 — Humble Independent School District
On Higgins Street west of North Avenue F, on the right when traveling west.
The roots of education in the Humble area started in 1873 when Joseph W. Dunman (1824-1903), son of early Humble settler Joseph Dunman, opened Joe Dunman's schoolhouse for local children. In 1884, Common School District No. 28 was established but . . . — Map (db m133798) HM
Texas (Harris County), Humble — 10702 — Humble Lodge No. 979, A.F. & A.M.
On East Main Street at Avenue A, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street.
Near the turn of the century, the town of Humble was home to many Masons who were members of lodges located in nearby towns. With the help of local Justice of the Peace F. K. Wise, Humble area Masons organized their own lodge in 1908. Humble State . . . — Map (db m71783) HM
Texas (Harris County), Humble — Joseph Dunman
On South Houston Avenue at Isaacks Road, on the right when traveling north on South Houston Avenue.
Joseph Dunman Republic of Texas Early Humble Pioneer Born 1794 Louisiana Died 3 April 1859 Harris County Texas Born in Louisiana in 1794, Joseph Dunman served as a private in De clouet's Regiment in the Louisiana Militia during the . . . — Map (db m123003) HM
Texas (Harris County), Humble — 10717 — Lambrecht's Artesian Well
On First Street East at North Houston Avenue, on the right when traveling west on First Street East.
An oil well drilled at this site in 1912 yielded not oil, but free-flowing artesian water. The following year, German native Nick Lambrecht (1855-1920) purchased the property. Lambrecht served as justice of the peace and mayor during Humble's oil . . . — Map (db m52524) HM
Texas (Harris County), Humble — Pangburn Building
On East Main Street, on the right when traveling east.
This structure was erected in 1914 by William R. (Bill) Pangburn. He made his own cement bricks using San Jacinto River sand hauled by horse and wagon. The building has housed a drygood store, drug store, post office, cafe, dance hall and a variety . . . — Map (db m122999) HM
Texas (Harris County), Humble — Trees of Knowledge
On East Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
These two trees were grown from acorns in slop jars, by Uncle Dick Hatcher. He planted them not long after the courthouse was built in 1928. They received their name from Judge Wise's habit of using the benches beneath the trees to sit on while . . . — Map (db m123001) HM
Texas (Harris County), Klein — 12740 — Catherine Wunderlich
On Red Holly Lane 0.1 miles north of Theiss Mail Route Road, on the right when traveling north.
Maria Katherina (Catherine) Hofius immigrated to Texas in 1852 from her native Prussia at the age of 21. She settled in this part of Harris County, populated by numerous German families, and married Peter Wunderlich soon after her arrival. Widowed . . . — Map (db m136068) HM
Texas (Harris County), Klein — 12869 — Kohrville Community
On Red Holly Lane 0.1 miles north of Theiss Mail Route Road, on the right when traveling north.
In the 1870s, former slaves from Alabama and Mississippi settled on Cypress Creek, near a store owned by German immigrants Paulin and Agnes Kohrmann. The Kohrville Community, centered on farming, ranching and lumber industries, offered schools for . . . — Map (db m136067) HM
Texas (Harris County), Klein — Peter Wunderlich Home
Near Red Holly Lane 0.2 miles north of Theiss Mail Route Road.
Peter and Sophie Krimmel Wunderlich built this original home in 1891. Peter was the son of Johann Peter Wunderlich, the first German Wunderlich to settle in Texas. This house is made of pine lumber without knots and came from the Jacob Strack . . . — Map (db m136075) HM
Texas (Harris County), Klein — 10714 — The Klein Community
On Stuebner Airline Road at Louetta Road, on the right when traveling south on Stuebner Airline Road.
A farming community developed in this area after a group of German immigrants settled on the banks of Cypress Creek in 1845. The settlement was later named for Adam Klein, who left Germany in 1849 and joined the California Gold Rush before moving . . . — Map (db m136070) HM
Texas (Harris County), Klein — 10794 — Theis (Theiss) Family
On Fernbluff Drive at Mayglen Lane, on the left when traveling south on Fernbluff Drive.
Among the first German settlers in northwest Harris County was Johann Heinrich Theis (b. 1800), who arrived in 1846 with his wife Katherina (Benner) (b. 1804) and their four children. The following year, Johann acquired 200 acres of land in the . . . — Map (db m136072) HM
Texas (Harris County), Klein — 10798 — Trinity Lutheran Church Cemetery
On Klein Cemetery Road 0.4 miles west of T C Jester Boulevard, on the right when traveling east.
A number of German immigrants settled in this area in the 1840s. The community first called Big Cypress was later renamed in honor of pioneer settler Adam Klein. Trinity Lutheran Cemetery serves as a reflection of the German heritage of this part of . . . — Map (db m136071) HM
Texas (Harris County), Klein — 10807 — Wunderlich Farm
On Red Holly Lane 0.2 miles north of Theiss Mail Route Road, on the right when traveling north.
J. Peter Wunderlich (1828-1864) migrated from Germany to Texas in 1852. He married Maria Hofius and in 1854 bought 120 acres of farmland in Klein in north Harris County. Peter was killed in 1864 at a gunpowder mill he helped operate during the Civil . . . — Map (db m136066) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 8 — Advance Under Gen'l Rusk
On Park Road 1836 west of Independence Parkway, on the right when traveling north.
No 8 Advance under Gen'l Rusk April 21, 1836 — Map (db m125965) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 17 — Almonte Captured
On Park Road 1836 0.9 miles east of Vista Road, on the left when traveling north.
No 17 Almonte captured and greatest carnage of battle occurred. — Map (db m126842) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10606 — Battle of San Jacinto
On Independence Parkway 0.8 miles north of Pasadena Freeway (State Highway 225), on the left when traveling north.
At mid-afternoon April 21, 1836, two miles to the north, General Sam Houston with about 1,000 Texans in 18 minutes annihilated the 1,400-man army of Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, President of Mexico. Screened by trees and rising ground, . . . — Map (db m125882) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — Besson Building
On Main Street at 2nd Street when traveling east on Main Street.
In 1893, Madame Martha Fontaine-Besson who was at the World's Fair when the founders were promoting La Porte, decided to investigate the wonders of Texas. She journeyed to La Porte on one of the excursion trains from Chicago. Madame . . . — Map (db m133969) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 7 — Burleson's Advance
No 7 Burleson's Advance Infantry April 21, 1836 — Map (db m125951) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 2 — Burleson's Camp
No 2 Burleson's Camp — Map (db m125964) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — Captain William Wood
On Park Road 1836, on the right when traveling south.
Commanded (The Kentucky Volunteers) Company A, First Regiment at San Jacinto Died at Houston, June 7, 1854 Erected by The State of Texas Reverse: "It is my desire that my body be buried on the battle grounds of San Jacinto . . . — Map (db m126244) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 12 — Cavalry Skirmish
On Park Road 1836 at an unnamed park service road, on the right when traveling west on Park Road 1836.
No 12 Cavalry Skirmish under Sherman day before battle — Map (db m125998) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — David Thomas
(Front) David Thomas Born in Tennessee in 1801 Died From an accidental wound April 30, 1836 at the home of Lorenzo DeZavala Erected by The State of Texas (Rear) Signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence First . . . — Map (db m126262) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10639 — De Zavala Plaza
On Park Road 1836 0.1 miles north of Independence Parkway, on the left when traveling north.
Name honors Lorenzo de Zavala, Vice President of Republic of Texas (Ad Interim, March 17-Oct. 17 1836). Born in Yucatan and educated in the Seminary of Ildefonso, De Zavala was an Ardent Liberal who was jailed 1814-1817 for political . . . — Map (db m119970) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — First City Hall and Jail
On South 2nd Street south of West Main Street (Texas Highway 146), on the left when traveling south.
In its early days, La Porte had little need for a city hall or jail. City Council meetings were held in various vacant buildings around town and the few lawbreakers were placed either in an old abandoned ice house or locked in a convenient box car . . . — Map (db m53607) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — Five Points - The Hub of the City
On Broadway at Main Street, on the right when traveling north on Broadway.
"Five Points" is where five main roads converged on what was then the center of town. The roads, which started out as trails, were East Main, West Main, North Broadway, South Broadway and San Jacinto Streets. The spot became a reference point for . . . — Map (db m133981) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10805 — Freeman Wilkinson
On Park Road 1836, on the right when traveling south.
A member of Captain Thomas H. McIntire's company at San Jacinto. Died at Lynchburg in 1839 and was buried near his comrades who fell in battle. — Map (db m125926) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10 — Hockley's Advance
On Park Road 1836, on the right when traveling west.
No 10 Hockley's Advance Artillery April 21, 1836 — Map (db m125952) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 19 — Houston Wounded
On an unnamed Park Road 0.1 miles south of Park Road 1836, on the left when traveling west.
No 19 Houston wounded and horse killed under him during battle — Map (db m125956) HM

266 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 66
Paid Advertisement