On December 22, 1912, in the family home 2.7 miles south, was born Claudia Alta Taylor.
She was third child (only daughter) of Thomas Jefferson and Minnie Pattillo Taylor.
Her father had a general store in Karnack for many years. Young “Lady . . . — — Map (db m110848) HM
In 1941, as the United States prepared for eventual entry into World War II, the U.S. Army Ordnance Department approached Monsanto Chemical Company of St. Louis about operating a local plant for production of explosives. Initially called Longhorn . . . — — Map (db m110849) HM
Ancestral home of Texas Caddo Indians, this region gained a distinctive character in the 19th century. From 1806 to 1845 it lay in an area disputed by various countries and designated, from 1819, as the “neutral ground.” Settlers living . . . — — Map (db m110850) HM
Home Town of Texas Confederate
General Elkanah Greer
Born Tennessee. Fought Mexican War. Came to Texas 1848. Commissioned colonel and raised 3rd Texas Cavalry. Attached to Ross' Texas Brigade. Fought at . . . — — Map (db m110890) HM WM
Italian-born Charles Ginocchio arrived in Marshall in 1871. He owned several properties near the T & P Railroad Depot, including the site of a notorious 1879 shooting that left Maurice Barrymore wounded and fellow actor Ben Porter Dead. In 1893-96 . . . — — Map (db m110872) HM
Italian – American business leader Charles Ginocchio (1844-98) and wife Roxana settled in Marshal in 1871; built this home, 1886.
Architect: C.G. Lancaster, designer of County Courthouse.
In Ginocchio household was a nephew, George J. . . . — — Map (db m110906) HM
Home Town Texas First Confederate
Son of a Georgia governor. Came here in 1842. Member Annexation Convention, 1st and 2nd Texas Legislatures. Participant Mexican War. Secretary of . . . — — Map (db m110895) HM WM
The original inhabitants of this area were the Caddo Indians. Anglo settlers, mostly from the southern U.S., began arriving in the 1830’s. Many obtained Mexican land grants in 1835, and population increased following Texas Independence in 1836.
The . . . — — Map (db m110883) HM
Formed from Shelby County
Created January 28, 1839 Organized June 12, 1842
Named in honor of
A pioneer statesman of New Jersey
who came to Texas in 1820
A member of the First Convention of . . . — — Map (db m119552) HM
The picnic area on US 80 in Harrison County is an early roadside park developed by the Texas Highway Department -- now Texas Department of Transportation. Constructed in the early 1940's, this park features stone masonry picnic features and entry . . . — — Map (db m120293) HM
Home Town of Texas Confederate
James Harper Starr
1809 - 1890
Connecticut-born. Came to Texas 1837. A doctor in Nacogdoches. Secretary of the Treasury and Army Surgeon, Republic of Texas. At start of Civil War . . . — — Map (db m124003) HM
Two years after Harrison County was created by The Republic of Texas Congress in 1839, landowner Peter Whetstone offered property for a courthouse, a church, and a school in an effort to persuade county officials to locate the seat of government in . . . — — Map (db m110879) HM
Before the Civil War (1861-65), the stage road was the main transportation artery between Marshall and Shreveport, providing a link with New Orleans for distant markets. Extending northeast from Marshall, the stage road paralleled the later route of . . . — — Map (db m122873) HM
On May 23, 1857, during his first Texas gubernatorial race, Sam Houston came to Marshall, the hometown of two of his most outspoken critics, Robert Lougery and Louis T. Wigfall, for a much anticipated debate against his opponent, Hardin Runnels. . . . — — Map (db m110930) HM
School originated as Female Department of Marshall University, chartered Jan. 18, 1842, by Republic of Texas.
Marshall Masonic Lodge No. 22 chartered the Female Institute as a separate school in 1850.
Five lodge members (including city's . . . — — Map (db m110929) HM
A 3-story brick structure built on this site in 1857 by business leader George B. Adkins (1810-76), and called “Adkins House,” ranked as a very fine hotel and served as depot for stage lines, including southern branch of Butterfield . . . — — Map (db m110874) HM
Texas had very few factories in 1861 when she joined the Confederate States of America and went to war on the issue of States’ Rights. Some of the manufacturing plants necessary to supply military goods were thereupon established in and around . . . — — Map (db m110899) HM
The first telegraph office in the State of Texas
was established at this location on
February 14, 1854.
The Texas and Red River Telegraph Company
merged several times finally becoming
Western Union Telegraph . . . — — Map (db m110885) HM
Marshall’s first railroad was conceived as a connection to Red River Steamboat Traffic. Twenty miles of track were laid northeast to Swanson’s Landing on Caddo Lake by 1858.
In 1871, the U.S. Congress authorized the Texas and Pacific Railway . . . — — Map (db m110873) HM
Born in Alabama, the Rev. Walker Montecue Allen (1819-1899) was a Cumberland Presbyterian minister, author, and teacher.
He moved to Marshall in 1876 with his wife Eliza Ann (Handly) (1829-1902) and their nine children.
They erected this two-story . . . — — Map (db m110911) HM
Built before 1842. Hand-hewn logs, chinked with pipe clay. For strength has butterfly mortising on log ends and beams with tee-braces. Was part of a 2-pen dog-trot house. Moved here, 1938, by Mr. and Mrs. Hobart Key, Jr.
Recorded Texas . . . — — Map (db m96284) HM