On Denver Avenue at West 8th Street, on the right when traveling north on Denver Avenue.
The town of Channing was organized in 1890 as a general headquarters and supplier for the vast XIT Ranch. The Channing Methodist Church was organized in the fledgling town by the Rev. E. T. Harrison. Records indicate that it was the first Methodist . . . — — Map (db m91793) HM
On South Main Street south of West 9th Street, on the right when traveling south.
Hartley County was created in January 1891, and an election held that year designated the town of Hartley as county seat. A frame courthouse was built on the town square.
In October 1896, largely due to XIT Ranch interests, a second election was . . . — — Map (db m91790) HM
The Matador Land and Cattle Company was owned by a syndicate in Dundee, Scotland. The ranch had two divisions in Texas. One began near Matador, Texas, in 1882 and was known as the Lower Outfit. The Alamositas Division, near Channing, Texas, was . . . — — Map (db m91791) HM
On Main Street at West 5th Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
Built in 1898-99 to house the general offices of the 3,000,000-acre XIT Ranch, this building served that purpose until 1912. Five railroad cars of bricks were brought in to construct the house, which features Victorian-era detailing in its . . . — — Map (db m91794) HM
On U.S. 54 2.5 miles east of Farm to Market Road 767, on the left when traveling east.
Moved to Texas, 1876, from New Mexico — wife and two children in a coach, goods in 14 wagons. Owned 6,000 sheep. A Castilian Spaniard by birth, Romero spoke for pastores (sheep herders), who built eleven haciendas and plazas in Canadian River . . . — — Map (db m93202) HM
Near U.S. 87 at County Route K, on the right when traveling north.
Formed from Young and Bexar
Created August 21, 1876
Organized February 5, 1891
Named in honor of two brothers Oliver Cromwell and
Rufus K. Hartley
Distinguished members of the
Hartley, the . . . — — Map (db m93240) HM