Antioch Colony was a rural farming community formed during Reconstruction by a group of formerly enslaved African Americans. Although freed from slavery after the Civil War, African Americans still found it difficult to purchase land. In 1859, Anglo . . . — — Map (db m93045) HM
Originally known as Du Pre, Buda was founded along a line of the International and Great Northern Railroad. Cornelia A. Trimble gave land for the townsite in 1881. The name “Buda” was adopted in the late 1880s, although its origin is . . . — — Map (db m52991) HM
Organized in 1893, the Buda Christian Church met in the Methodist church building until a church was built on this site in 1903. After it was destroyed in a 1909 storm, this structure was built in 1912. Membership began to decline in the 1940s, and . . . — — Map (db m117936) HM
In July 1882, the year after the founding of Du Pre, now Buda, M. Lawson, A. Teague and W. A. Hancock petitioned the San Marcos Baptist Association for the formation of this church. The first pastor was the Rev. D. A. Porter, ordained in the nearby . . . — — Map (db m117939) HM
The complex that includes the McElroy-Severn House/Stagecoach House and Onion Creek Post Office occupies a 51-acre tract of land on a high bluff above a branch leading into Onion Creek, about a quarter mile east of Buda. The post office and . . . — — Map (db m80186) HM
Hays County Confederate veterans and their families gathered for a reunion in the summer of 1896 and formally organized the Camp Ben McCulloch Chapter of the United Confederate Veterans. The gathering took place near this site at the Martin Spring . . . — — Map (db m93043) HM
Burrell J. Marshall (1826-1872) built this residence in 1871 by adding rooms of native limestone to an existing frame structure. He used his home briefly as a post office while he was postmaster. When Marshall died in 1872, his widow Martha . . . — — Map (db m135056) HM
Born in Georgia, William Thomas Chapman (1835-1917) came to Texas after the Civil War during which he was wounded, incarcerated and released after taking the Oath of Allegiance to the United States. By 1872, he was in the Dripping Springs area. He . . . — — Map (db m135055) HM
Throughout Hays County, 1861-65, as in the rest of Texas, beef production for the Confederacy was a major patriotic service. Leading ranchers, called Government Stockraisers, had the duty of supplying the Commissary Department of the Army.
. . . — — Map (db m120737) HM
Bridge No. 44, now known as the Bunton Branch Bridge, is located just north of Kyle on a north-south section of road that parallels Interstate 35, a remnant of the 1915 Austin-Aan Antonio post road. The bridge crosses Bunton Branch, an intermittent . . . — — Map (db m119646) HM
Cora Frances Jackman (b. 1853) was the daughter of Sidney Drake and Martha (Slavin) Jackman. Her father, a Confederate general during the Civil War and later a state representative and U.S. Marshal, settled his family in Hays County in 1865. Cora . . . — — Map (db m120753) HM
Founded at Mountain City, 1872. Original pastor: the Rev. J. C. Tally. A dynamic congregation, this church within two months of its origin licensed (and later ordained) D. A. Porter as a minister; in 1879 demitted 26 members to form church nearby; . . . — — Map (db m120743) HM
Katherine Anne Porter, one of America's most distinguished writers of fiction, was born Callie Russell Porter in Indian Creek, Brown County, Texas. Her mother, Mary Alice Jones Porter, died in 1892, and her father, Harrison Boone Porter (1858-1942) . . . — — Map (db m120740) HM
Two antebellum settlements, the Blanco or Nance community (7 mi. W) and Mountain City (3 mi. W), provided the early population and business for Kyle after the city was founded in 1880. Fergus Kyle, for whom the town was named, and the family of . . . — — Map (db m119647) HM
Many people instrumental in the early development of this area are buried in Kyle Cemetery. Colonel Clairborne Kyle, one of Hays County's original settlers, buried his adopted son, willie Parks, here in 1849. Although Parks' interment is the first . . . — — Map (db m119684) HM
Known locally as the Old Slave Cemetery or Kyle Slave Cemetery, the Kyle Family Pioneer Cemetery lay unnoticed and forgotten for many years, tucked to the right of the entrance to the Kyle Community Cemetery. The cemetery is the final resting place . . . — — Map (db m119680) HM
When Kyle was founded along the International & Great Northern Railroad in 1880, this giant liveoak was site of a public auction of town lots. The railway was given 200 acres of land by Fergus Kyle (1834-1905), state representative for whom the . . . — — Map (db m120751) HM
Public education in the Kyle area dates to the Texas Constitution of 1876 and its establishment of a statewide free school system. Under this legislation, school trustees D.A. Barbee, D.J.B. Barbee and Captain Fergus Kyle founded the Summit School . . . — — Map (db m119669) HM
The McGehee family came to Texas from Alabama in 1847. In 1859, Charles Lewis McGehee, Jr. (1837-1929) acquired this property along the San Marcos River. He soon built this cabin (1/2 mi. E) for his wife, Sarah Jane (Humphreys), and their children. . . . — — Map (db m69115) HM
In 1813 royalist Lieutenant Colonel Ignacio Elizondo led 500 cavalrymen in pursuit of retreating Mexican and Anglo-American insurrectionists along this road.
A hacienda owner in Coahuila, Elizondo initially joined Father Miguel Hidalgo’s . . . — — Map (db m69109) HM
At the request of Antonio Cordero, interim governor of the Province of Texas, Spanish-born Felipe Roque de la Portilla (1768?-1841) established a colony here on El Camino Real. With his own family of eight, he brought 51 persons from the interior of . . . — — Map (db m125691) HM
The gulley seen about fifty yards behind this marker originated from ruts in the El Camino Real (the Royal Road) from San Antonio to Nacogdoches. The road actually had two routes through what is now Hays County, and, creating confusion, both had . . . — — Map (db m20273) HM
During the War for Texas Independence, Mexican General Antonio Gaona marched his division up this road. Gaona had received his training in the Royal Spanish Army in his native Cuba. During the Mexican Revolution against Spain, however, he . . . — — Map (db m69111) HM
The Camino Real, also known as the Old San Antonio Road and the King's Highway, followed a route from Nacogdoches to the Rio Grande. Louis Juchereau de St. Denis (1676-1744) traveled the route to establish trade between the French in Louisiana and . . . — — Map (db m76901) HM
The Republic of Texas Congress in Dec. 1838 called for military roads and forts from Red River to the Nueces. A road from Austin, joining El Camino Real near St. Mark's Springs, was designed for rapid communication between San Antonio and the . . . — — Map (db m70967) HM
Pouring forth millions of gallons of clear, icy water daily, these springs feed the San Marcos River and the 1,380-square-mile area which it drains. The immense springs rise at the Balcones Escarpment, a geologic fault line which slices across the . . . — — Map (db m68778) HM
Established 1868 by educator O.N. Hollingsworth. A private school, it was coeducational and offered military training to boys. So-named because it was a Coronal (crown) atop this hill. In 1870 the Rev. R.H. Belvin bought school, but sold it to the . . . — — Map (db m76900) HM
Known officially as Villa de San Marcos de Neve. Established in 1807 by Mexican settlers. The population on January 6, 1808 was 81. A flood in 1808 and subsequent Indian raids led to its abandonment in 1812 — — Map (db m76023) HM
Constructed as the first Hays County Jail in 1873, this small brick structure was later an annex for black prisoners. Known locally as the Calaboose, it became a neighborhood recreation center after the city of San Marcos acquired it in 1885. In the . . . — — Map (db m76897) HM
Starting in 1866 the broad valley behind this marker was the scene of cattle drives from the south Texas brush country to Kansas railheads, where livestock was then shipped to eastern markets. These old routes where always imprecise because, as one . . . — — Map (db m69113) HM
When Hays County originated in 1848, its one public building was a log church-schoolhouse that had to serve as the courthouse, along with its other uses.
Although the San Marcos townsite, platted in 1851, contained a court square donated to the . . . — — Map (db m111158) HM
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, San Marcos firemen were summoned to a blaze by the clanging sound of a huge triangle which hung from a tree limb at the right of this entrance to the Hays County Courthouse.
The great (55 pound) . . . — — Map (db m111155) HM
In Balcones Fault, created by prehistoric earth shift. Said to have been campsite of Indians and Spaniards, especially priests who planted anaqua trees in area. By legend, robber gangs in 1820s cached Camino Real booty here.
Discovered 1893 for . . . — — Map (db m53525) HM