After citizens petitioned for its closure, an unofficial burial ground in this area (large lot 13) closed in 1857. That same year, local residents buried prominent planter, Mason and school superintendent William J. Brantley here on one acre donated . . . — — Map (db m31734) HM
A native of Athens, Georgia, Dulcinea Ann Holland came to Henderson County with her family in 1847. She married E. J. Thompson in 1851. According to local tradition, she named the town of Athens after her birthplace. Following the death of her first . . . — — Map (db m31717) HM
Henderson County C. S. A.
Voted 400 – 49 for secession. Sent about 1,000 into Confederate Army, with one detachment of 150 having only 13 live to return. Caldwell's farm, three miles northeast, and Fincastle, 19 miles . . . — — Map (db m26382) HM
North Carolina-born John Matthews McDonald (1827-1883) came to Texas in 1848 and lived first at Larissa, Cherokee Co. and then Mound Prairie, Anderson Co., where his brother Murdoch earlier settled. Two years later, he moved to the young town of . . . — — Map (db m31730) HM
Alderman on Athens' first city council (1901). La Rue (Town 13 mi. SE) was named for him.
Educator, merchant, civic leader, banker, humanitarian, prohibitionist, democrat, historian. Married March 16, 1892, Stella Elvira Parsons. They had seven . . . — — Map (db m31726) HM
Constituted in Randolph County, Ala. Nov. 23, 1850; opened services here, a Baptist Branch, Jan. 1851, during resting of 150 Pilgrims in covered wagon caravan led by Samuel Tine Owen, a brother, John Bunyan Owen, and brother-in-law, K.K. Knight. . . . — — Map (db m128109) HM
"The Athens Review" was established as a weekly newspaper by J. B. Bishop and George M. Johnson, editors and owners, on Dec. 24, 1885. The earliest newspaper in Henderson County, "The Athens Bulletin," had been founded by printer J. H. Cox and . . . — — Map (db m31689) HM
Born in South Carolina, William Richadson moved to Pickens County, Alabama in 1830. There he married Mary "Polly" Kilpatrick (1813-1889) on Feb. 13, 1834. Children born to them were John K., James J., Sara F., Margaret C., Martha E., William A., . . . — — Map (db m37035) HM
After migrating from Norway in 1845, Ole Reierson bought the land that included this cemetery site (1.1 mi. ESE). He chose the spot for his burial and carved several of the plain brown gravestones before he died in 1852. The . . . — — Map (db m31633) HM
Rock Hill Cemetery has served this area since the late 1800s. It is located on land granted to pioneer Alexander J. Clayton, who migrated here from Alabama with his wife, Martha (Carver), and his children in 1854. Clayton, who was born in North . . . — — Map (db m31618) HM
First Norwegian colony in Texas. Founded in 1845 by Johan Reinert Reierson (1810-1864) and Ole Reierson, of Holt, Norway.
In "Christianssandsposten", J.R. Reierson urged Norwegians to find "a rich life" by migrating to Texas. His associate . . . — — Map (db m31634) HM
Driven from Eastern states by white settlers, Cherokee Indians migrated to the East Texas area, becoming established by 1820. In 1822, they unsuccessfully sought title to their land from Mexico.
The years following were ones of an increasingly . . . — — Map (db m91604) HM
In 1830, John Crane applied to be a part of Joseph Vehlein's colony. Reportedly from Virginia, he was a veteran of the War of 1812. He moved his wife and seven children to what is now Walker County, Texas, in 1834. There, he organized men and became . . . — — Map (db m31567) HM
Occupied since 1903 by Charles Richard and Nannie Jane Spear Yarborough and 3 generations of descendants. Birthplace in 1903 of United States Senator Ralph Webster Yarborough.
In this house Charles R. Yarborough, as Justice of the Peace, performed . . . — — Map (db m28109) HM
In 1894, the Reverend Monroe F. Jackson came to Malakoff and founded this congregation. He named it Good Hope Baptist Church. The same year, church trustees Sam Robinson, Monroe Porter, and Governor Wilson acquired land at this site for a church . . . — — Map (db m61228) HM
Organized in 1852 by the Rev. Hezekiah Mitcham (1800-1865), this fellowship began with six charter members who first held services in various locations throughout the county. In 1854 the small congregation erected one of the first Methodist church . . . — — Map (db m61226) HM
A sandstone image of a human head - carved by prehistoric men - was found near here in 1929 by workmen of Texas Clay Products Company. It was dug from gravel pit now under Cedar Creek Lake.
The carving weighed 98 pounds, was 16 by 14 inches, with . . . — — Map (db m30027) HM
Three main tributaries - the West, Elm, and East forks - feed the Trinity from headwaters in North Texas. Discovery of prehistoric Malakoff Man carved stone heads near this site in the 20th century revealed that humans inhabited the Trinity valley . . . — — Map (db m30029) HM