Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hill County Texas Historical Markers

 
Abbott Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, September 14, 2012
Abbott Marker
Texas (Hill County), Abbott — 13891 — Abbott
In 1881, on land owned by G.M. Dodge, the Missouri, Kansas & Texas (Katy) Railroad built a line through a new town named for Joseph Abbott, a Hill County resident, lawyer and U.S. Congressman. Winston W. Treadwell soon opened a general store managed . . . — Map (db m59664) HM
Texas (Hill County), Abbott — 66 — Abbott Baptist Church
Organized in 1876 as the Liberty Grove Baptist Church by 13 founding members, this congregation met in the Liberty Grove Schoolhouse 2 miles south of here. Renamed the Abbott Baptist Church in 1879, the church moved to Abbott in 1885. Services were . . . — Map (db m59701) HM
Texas (Hill County), Abbott — 68 — Abbott Schools
The public school system in Abbott began in 1885 when a one-story frame schoolhouse was constructed on the east side of town. It housed 140 pupils and three teachers. A two-story brick structure, built at this site in 1911, served the Abbott school . . . — Map (db m59999) HM
Texas (Hill County), Abbott — 69 — Abbott United Methodist Church
The first Methodist worship service in Abbott was held in 1883 by the Rev. G. W. Swofford. A congregation soon was organized and became a regular stop on the Hillsboro circuit, with the Rev. J. P. Mussett as first pastor. By 1886 the congregation . . . — Map (db m59993) HM
Texas (Hill County), Abbott — 15690 — L.C. McKamie
Born in Moody (McLennan Co.) on October 24, 1900, L.C. (Luke) McKamie earned degrees from Southwestern University, the University of Texas at Austin and Baylor University. L.C. and his wife, Beulah (Boots), came to Abbott in 1926, he as . . . — Map (db m62899) HM
Texas (Hill County), Brandon — 3693 — Old Brandon Mill1 1/2 miles Southwest
One of earliest grist mills in Hill County. Built (1868) by Dr. Jas. T. Harrington, who also founded town of Brandon. Corn meal, basic to settlers' diet, was ground here. Dr. Harrington built a dam on White Rock Creek near here as a water source for . . . — Map (db m62719) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hico — 5535 — Town of Penelope
Founded by International and Great Northern Railroad in 1902. Named for child of official. Settled by Anglos and Czechs from Zee Vee, older town (1/2 mile south) founded in 1893. New town prospered; incorporated, 1913. Good well water was found in . . . — Map (db m109829) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 67 — Abbott House
Jo Abbott and his wife, Rowena Sturgis Abbott, bought this property in 1883 and later built the house next door (west). Abbott was a county and district judge, congressman, and local banker. In 1899 this house (originally a T-plan) was on the . . . — Map (db m59801) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 449 — Bond's Alley
Local site for politics, peddlers' shows, whittling, cockfights, fisticuffs. Named for Bond's Drug Store, located here since 1881, and sheltering in bad weather people who usually sunned in alley. Early neighbors varied from a Chinese laundry to an . . . — Map (db m60757) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 792 — Central Christian Church(Disciples of Christ) of Hillsboro
The earliest worship service for local Disciples was conducted on September 11, 1881. Six years later the fellowship was formally chartered with 35 members. Meetings were held in private homes, the courthouse, and the schoolhouse until a sanctuary . . . — Map (db m61001) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 13001 — City of Hillsboro
In 1853, the Texas Legislature carved Hill County out of Navarro County. Named for physician and Republic of Texas Secretary of War Dr. George Washington Hill, the new county had only recently attracted Anglo settlement, following the establishment . . . — Map (db m60160) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 1032 — Confederate Veterans and Old Settlers Reunion Grounds
Formed in 1901, the Confederate Veterans and Old Settlers Association of Hill County acquired 73 acres of wooded land as a site for its summer reunion. The 3-5 day encampment, held annually from 1902 to 1924, was an important social and recreational . . . — Map (db m62275) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — Courthouse History(Hill County, Texas)
(East Face) Hill County was organized on May 14, 1853. The courthouse square is near the geographic center of the county and has been the site for five courthouse buildings. The present building was completed in 1890. McShane Bell Factory . . . — Map (db m61477) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 1175 — Davis Home
1900 Victorian Home of Edward S. Davis, Civic Leader, Banker, Engineer. Has Fine Ornamentation, Tiles, Windows. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark 1965 — Map (db m60974) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 12074 — First Baptist Church of Hillsboro
   Baptist ministry in this area can be traced to the Rev. J. M. Samford, who arrived in the vicinity in the 1840s. Hill County was formed in 1853, and Hillsborough (later Hillsboro) was chosen as county seat. The earliest recorded Baptist minister . . . — Map (db m61334) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 13212 — George L. and Roxie Brooks Porter Home
In 1881, Tennessee native George L. Porter (1854-1928) wed Roxie Brooks (1863-1927), daughter of early Hill County official Cincinattus Ney Brooks. George was a merchant in nearby Peoria (6 mi. W) and later served as an officer in Sturgis National . . . — Map (db m62407) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 2480 — Hill County
Created February 7, 1855 Organized May 14, 1853 Named in honor of Dr. George W. Hill 1814-1860 Member of the Texas Congress and Legislature Secretary of War of the Republic of Texas, 1843-1845 Lexington, first village . . . — Map (db m62522) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — Hill County Confederate Memorial1861 - 1865
. . . — Map (db m62633) WM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 2481 — Hill County Courthouse
The fourth courthouse for Hill County (organized in 1853) and the third one located in Hillsboro, this impressive landmark replaced a brick court building erected in 1874. Contractors Lovell, Miller and Hood of Brownsville built this rusticated . . . — Map (db m62789) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 2482 — Hill County Jail
Constructed in 1893, this building serves as the third jail for Hill County. It was designed by W. C. Dodson of Waco, architect of the Hill County Courthouse, and built by the Brown County firm of Lovell and Wood. The brick and limestone structure . . . — Map (db m63541) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 2487 — Hillsboro Junior College
One of first public junior colleges in Texas. Established 1923, as a part of Hillsboro Public School System. Peak attendance was 410 students during 1939-40. School closed August 31, 1950, after voters defeated maintenance tax proposal twice. . . . — Map (db m62299) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 2488 — Hillsboro Post Office Building
This renaissance revival building was constructed as the fifth location for the Hillsboro Post Office. Work was begun in 1912 and completed three years later under the direction of Architect James Knox Taylor. The building's design features a tiled . . . — Map (db m62301) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 2906 — Katy Depot
This depot was built to serve the Missouri-Kansas-Texas (Katy) Rail Line, which reached Hillsboro in 1881. Completed in 1902, the station features elements of the Eastlake, Victorian, and Prairie styles. Early MKT trains carried materials for the . . . — Map (db m62900) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 2088 — Old G. D. Tarlton House
Victorian style. Built in 1895 by noted attorney Greene Duke Tarlton (1852-1931), from Louisiana. House was one of finest in town, with hand-carved mantels, stained glass windows, "speaking tube" between kitchen and third floor bedroom, and a . . . — Map (db m62764) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 4023 — Pioneer Bank Building
One of the oldest bank buildings in Hill County. Built in 1887 by Farmers National Bank. Constructed of sun-dried brick, replaced by kiln-dried brick in 1912. Purchased by Colonial Trust Company in 1931; Greek revival front with columns added. . . . — Map (db m61613) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 4708 — Sims-Womack House
The original section of this house, which consisted of two rooms and a detached kitchen, was built prior to 1870. Later additions were made during the ownership of Dr. William Thomas Sims (1874-1928), who purchased the property in 1906. A prominent . . . — Map (db m61983) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 12668 — Site of Old Lexington Village
Founded about 1851 on Jack's Branch. Was Hill County's first settlement and only polling place when county organized on May 14, 1853. For 4 months two log homes functioned as a courthouse until a special election put the county seat at Hillsboro. . . . — Map (db m61878) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hillsboro — 5062 — St. Mary's Episcopal Church
St. Mary's Mission was founded in the 1870s. On July 30, 1886, Bishop Alexander C. Garrett laid the cornerstone for the first church building, which was destroyed by a tornado in 1894. This building was completed in 1911, and St. Mary's . . . — Map (db m61183) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hubbard — 9415 — Hometown of Tris Speaker(1888-1958)
A legend in his own time, Tris Speaker was born, educated and buried here. Known as the Grey Eagle, he was the first Texan named to National Baseball Hall of Fame. First man elevated to Texas Sports Hall of Fame. Was on Boston's 1912 and 1915 . . . — Map (db m91844) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hubbard — 2588 — Hubbard
Founded 1881, as a shipping center and supply point on the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway. Named for Richard B. Hubbard (1832-1901), colonel in the 22nd Texas Infantry during the Civil War; Texas Governor 1876-1879; United States Minister to . . . — Map (db m91820) HM
Texas (Hill County), Hubbard — 2589 — The Hubbard City News
S.H. Sayer began publication of the "Hubbard City News" in 1881, the year the town was founded. The business later merged with S.R. Boyd's paper, the "Texas Pick and Pan" and the "Hubbard City Progress", a newspaper started in 1901 by brothers . . . — Map (db m91853) HM
Texas (Hill County), Mertens — 3349 — Mertens Baptist Church
On June 14, 1884, a small group of Baptists, led by W. J. Priddy, D. P. Sanders, and J. C. Osborne, met to organize a Baptist church. Originally known as Richland Baptist Church, the congregation worshiped in the Richland School until 1892, when . . . — Map (db m61626) HM
Texas (Hill County), near Whitney — 1985 — Fort Graham Cemetery
Settlement in this area began shortly after Fort Graham, a frontier military post established here in 1849, was abandoned in 1853. The first recorded burial in this cemetery, named after the fort, was that of infant Charley Botkin in 1879. The . . . — Map (db m62018) HM
Texas (Hill County), near Whitney — 13501 — Huron
The U.S. Army established Fort Graham in this area in 1849. Although the fort closed in 1853, the presence of the troops stationed there had prompted the development of settlements throughout this part of Hill County. By 1860, James Monroe and . . . — Map (db m60213) HM
Texas (Hill County), Whitney — 2947 — King Memorial United Methodist Church
The organizational meeting for this church was held in 1875 in the Pecan Grove community just west of Whitney. The Reverend I. M. Reeve, a circuit rider, led the congregation in its formation. In 1880, one year after the town of Whitney was founded . . . — Map (db m61546) HM
Texas (Hill County), Whitney — 12076 — Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church
Among the first African-American Baptist congregations in Hill County were the churches at Towash (organized in 1869), Lofer's Bend, and near Aquilla. These three congregations were united in 1883 to form the Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church. . . . — Map (db m61602) HM
Texas (Hill County), Whitney — 5790 — Whitney
Whitney, the first railroad town in Hill County, was established in 1879 on the route of the Houston and Texas Central Railroad and was named for railroad investor Charles A. Whitney. Lots in the new town were sold at a "Grand Picnic" on November . . . — Map (db m59698) HM
Texas (Hill County), Whitney — 5792 — Whitney Messenger
This newspaper began publication in 1883, four years after the railroad town of Whitney was founded. Established by H. P. and J. O. Jones, the "Messenger" was purchased by J. T. and Dan S. Mayes in 1890. Dan Mayes, who gained full ownership of the . . . — Map (db m59800) HM

38 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement