Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Houston County Texas Historical Markers

 
Houston County Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Gustafson, December 2, 2012
Houston County Marker
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11212 — Houston County
Created from Nacgodoches County June 12, 1837 Organized the same year named in honor of Sam Houston 1793-1863 Commander-in-Chief of the Texan Army at San Jacinto President of the Republic and Governor of the State of Texas . . . — Map (db m63530) HM
Texas (Houston County), Kennard — 11086 — Community of Coltharp (1.2 mi SE)
By the late 1850s Eli Coltharp lived beside Cochina Bayou. He opened a store and post office on the stage route west of Nacogdoches. The farm area called Coltharp Hill boasted a gin, gristmill, blacksmith and millinery shops. A school building . . . — Map (db m29567) HM
Texas (Houston County), Kennard — 13468 — First Baptist Church of Kennard
In October 1903, approximately fourteen men and women organized the First Baptist Church of Kenard. The congregation selected four trustees: Dr. T.M. Sherman, George W. Willis, M.B. Matchett and Hugh P. English, who served the church in many . . . — Map (db m29565) HM
Texas (Houston County), Kennard — 11241 — Former Rosenwald School (Now "The Little Red Schoolhouse")
A symbol of Black America's pride in education, plus crusade of Julius Rosenwald (1862-1932), a Chicagoan who in 1913 began to fund school buildings for Negroes. By 1920, when this one-teacher structure was built at Ratcliff (4 miles east), . . . — Map (db m29552) HM
Texas (Houston County), Kennard — 9464 — Hagerville Community (5 mi. SE)
Kentuckian James Henry Hager (1822-1879) and his wife Naoma (Clark) came to Texas in the 1840s. Hager, a farmer and cabinet maker, opened a blacksmith shop and mill in Houston County. The Nacogdoches-to-Navasota stage and mail road . . . — Map (db m29566) HM
Texas (Houston County), Kennard — 7051 — Kennard
The town of Kennard was founded in 1903 by the Louisiana and Texas Lumber Company and platted on 160 acres. Land agent Alexander McTavish also acted as Kennard's first postmaster. The town served as a terminus for the Eastern Texas Railroad, a line . . . — Map (db m29553) HM
Texas (Houston County), Ratcliff — 7040 — Four C Mill
R.M. Keith, agent for Central Coal & Coke Company in Kansas City, Missouri, began purchasing the virgin pine timberlands of this region in October 1899. Lumber for construction of a new mill was cut by a small sawmill purchased from local landowner . . . — Map (db m29527) HM
Texas (Houston County), Ratcliff — 7016 — Ratcliff
About 1875, a 32 - wagon train of settlers came here from Georgia. Jesse H. Ratcliff (1844 - 1920) built sawmill about 1885, drawing more people. Post office opened 1889, with Ratcliff as postmaster, and town soon had several stores. Professional . . . — Map (db m26980) HM
Texas (Houston County), Ratcliff — 7035 — Ratcliff CCC Camp
J.H. Ratcliff's 1880s sawmill and village here gave way to major timber industry operations that by the early 1930s had decimated Houston County's densest virgin forest. As part of federal efforts to restore the nation's natural resources, Civilian . . . — Map (db m29454) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 7013 — Mission San Francisco de Los Tejas
First Spanish Mission in East Texas. Established in 1690 by Franciscan friars to convert the Tejas Indians. "Tejas", a Spanish rendition of the Indian word for "friend", was in time adopted as the state name. The founding party was led by Capt. . . . — Map (db m27145) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 7017 — The Joseph R. Rice Log Cabin
Joseph Redmond Rice (1805-1866) cut timber; then his young wife, Willie Masters Rice (1809-1881), snaked the logs to a homesite 16 miles southwest of here. The cabin they built was a noted way-station on the San Antonio Road. They brought up nine . . . — Map (db m27148) HM

11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement