Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Irion County Texas Historical Markers

 
Barnhart Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, November 10, 2018
Barnhart Marker
Texas (Irion County), Barnhart — 262 — Barnhart
Named for William F. Barnhart, an agent of the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railroad, this community was founded in 1910. During the 1920s and 1930s it was a major freighting center and considered by many the largest inland livestock shipping . . . — Map (db m126169) HM
Texas (Irion County), Barnhart — 258 — Barnhart Cowboy Church
Local residents, representing several faiths, gathered for an outdoor community meeting in 1914 to organize this Union church. The sanctuary was constructed by cowboys from area ranches, working under the supervision of W. H. Parker and his . . . — Map (db m136337) HM
Texas (Irion County), Mertzon — 59 — Arden Community
This ranching community was named for John Arden, a sheep raiser who arrived in 1876. After 1900, small homesteaders moved into the area. Joe Funk gave land for a school and cemetery in 1903. Baptist, Church of Christ, and Methodist congregations . . . — Map (db m136074) HM
Texas (Irion County), Mertzon — 1151 — Dove Creek Battle/Texas Civil War Indian Trouble
(Front) Dove Creek Battle On January 8, 1865 eight miles east of here Confederate troops and Texas militiamen engaged a large party of Kickapoo Indians. The Indians, formerly hostile to the South, had entered Texas without authority . . . — Map (db m126176) HM
Texas (Irion County), Mertzon — 2612 — Irion County
Created March 7, 1889 Organized April 16, 1889 Named in honor of Robert Anderson Irion 1806-1860 Came to Texas in 1833 and located at Nacogdoches Member of the first Texas Congress Secretary of State in the Cabinet of . . . — Map (db m126172) HM
Texas (Irion County), Sherwood — 4409 — Sherwood Courthouse (Built 1900-1901)
First permanent courthouse for Irion County, locally organized 1889. Replaced temporary housing in several buildings. Site was gift of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ripley. Contractors: Martin and Moody. Stone was quarried nearby. Courthouse was used for . . . — Map (db m126175) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement