Here ran the Southern Overland
Mail Line connecting St. Louis and
San Francisco with semi-weekly
stage and mail service, 1858-1861
The length of the route, 2,795
miles, and the superior service
maintained made this a pioneer
enterprise . . . — — Map (db m119273) HM
United States soldiers still manned nearby Fort Richardson when this church was organized with seven charter members in 1875. The congregation met in the Masonic Lodge hall and county courthouse before erecting their first church building in 1889. . . . — — Map (db m68994) HM
Erected 1910, of stone from nearby quarry; Risley Brothers, contractors.
A facility of Jacksboro's second railroad, built by local effort, with backing from New York bankers, R. C. Megargel and Company. — — Map (db m119285) HM
As partially reconstructed in 1936
Established by the United States War Department
on November 26, 1867
as a protection of the frontier
against hostile Indians
Named in honor of
General Israel B. Richardson, U.S.A.,
killed at Antietam, . . . — — Map (db m119221) HM
In fort built to halt Indian depredations in North Texas. One of buildings and units on inspection in May 1871 by Gen. Wm. Tecumseh Sherman, when news came of massacre of Warren Wagon Train, 24 miles northwest. Killers, later found at Fort Sill, . . . — — Map (db m137873) HM
Born in Arkansas. Served in Hunter's Texas Ranger Company 1873-1874, helping remove Indians from Texas.
Later became merchant and farmer. Married Mary A. E. Shawver, 1881. Had 13 children. Built this picnic table (where his ranger unit once . . . — — Map (db m138159) HM
Created 1856. Organized 1857. Named for W.H. and P.C. Jack, brothers and patriots in the Texas Revolution.
Butterfield Overland Mail, 1858-1861, had 3 stage stops in county. In 1861, Jack County voted against secession, 76-14. Most men fought . . . — — Map (db m137876) HM
James B. Dosher moved to Texas in 1847 and served in Cureton's Company of the Texas Rangers. Discharged in 1848, he married Velma Eddings in 1851. They settled in Jack County in early 1855 and worked their farm south of Jacksboro. Dosher also served . . . — — Map (db m127639) HM WM
Battery F, 2nd Battalion, 131st Field Artillery, 36th Division, Texas National Guard mobilized here November 1940, for active duty. Sailed from San Francisco, November 1941, was at sea when Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor.
Went to defend Java . . . — — Map (db m119304) HM
Built in 1867 of lumber cut from cottonwoods growing in nearby river bottoms. One of 5 original officers' quarters. Outlasted fort's barracks and stables, which were built of small vertical timbers (pickets).
Style typical of 19th century army . . . — — Map (db m137875) HM
Built in 1898 by Crummel Oric Hess (1853-1945). Native sandstone. Contained the Hess furniture and undertaking business 43 years.
Hess came to Jacksboro in 1882. Married Miss Lizzie Longmire in 1885. Was one of first licensed embalmers in . . . — — Map (db m138155) HM
Removed 1885 from third Jack County Courthouse when building was razed. Mounted here in 1966.
Old Courthouse was of native limestone, quarried in Jacksboro. For its day, workmanship and stone of finest quality.
Bell is also a relic of the . . . — — Map (db m138156) HM
This site became Jacksboro's first park after tract here on Lost Creek was donated to city on June 25, 1921, by pioneer teacher-lumberman-rancher-public benefactor Dan Roland Sewell (1872-1957). City's first waterworks were installed . . . — — Map (db m138157) HM