At the cotton gin of William Millican, near here, on July 17, 1835, occurred the significant Lavaca-Navidad Meeting, held by pioneers living near the two rivers. James Kerr, the founder of Gonzales, was chairman and the Rev. S. C. A. Rogers, . . . — — Map (db m124463) HM
Among family members buried there: John A. Brackenridge (1800-62), a Warrick County, Ind., neighbor from whom young Abraham Lincoln borrowed law brooks, 1855 founder of Texana Presbyterian Church; his son, George W. Brackenridge (1832-1902), . . . — — Map (db m124460) HM
From 1860 population of 2,612 came more than 100 Civil War soldiers, one an infantryman on a crutch: M.K. Simons, a Mexican War amputee, Brigade Quartermaster, 2nd Texas Infantry, C.S.A.
Officers included Capt. C.L. Owen, veteran of the Texas . . . — — Map (db m120606) HM
Organized, 1837; named for 7th President of U. S., Andrew Jackson.
Early hunting grounds of the cannibalistic Karankawa Indians, this region was crossed in 1528 by shipwrecked Spaniard Cabeza de Vaca. French explorer La Salle founded the first . . . — — Map (db m120603) HM
Home of the Karankawa Indians granted in part to Stephen F. Austin and to Martin de Leon. Settled 1824-1835 by colonists largely from Alabama, Louisiana, Kentucky, Tennessee and, west of the Lavaca, Mexico. Organized as a municipality December 5, . . . — — Map (db m120609) HM
In 1861, voted for secession 147 to 77. With its beef and cotton, helped supply South. Furnished salt from beds near Cox's Creek; hides and tallow from a plant between Port Lavaca and Texana; lead from Navidad mine (now a "lost mine"). Homefolk . . . — — Map (db m120605) HM
Forerunner of town of Edna; a camp and commissary during the building of the New York, Texas & Mexican railway, 1880-1882.
Count Joseph Telfener, one of the railway investors, brought laborers from his native Italy; station was nicknamed for . . . — — Map (db m124472) HM
Situated in the present county of Jackson was the mission of Nuestra Seņora del Espiritu Santo de Zuņiga. Established by Joseph de Azlor, Marquis of Aguayo, and Father Fray Agustin Patron, O.F.M. in 1722 for the civilizing and Christianizing of the . . . — — Map (db m120608) HM
A part of the first army of the Texas Republic, under the command of General Felix Huston, and later of General Albert Sidney Johnston, was stationed here from December, 1836, until furloughed by order of President Sam Houston on May 18, 1837. . . . — — Map (db m134420) HM
Established in 1882 as a shipping point on New York, Texas & Mexican Railroad. Named Ganado (Spanish for "herd") by railroad official.
Became a boomtown in 1891-92 when Scandinavian immigrants settled area.
Today a farm, oil and shipping . . . — — Map (db m134470) HM