Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Jasper County Texas Historical Markers

 
<small>Site of</small> J.H. Rowe School Marker image, Touch for more information
July 4, 2019
Site of J.H. Rowe School Marker
Texas (Jasper County), Jasper — 13067 — Site of J.H. Rowe School
Formal public education for African American students in the Jasper area dates to 1875 and the formation of a school at nearby Cold Springs. It moved to a new campus in Jasper in 1924, the same year James Hoff Rowe came as administrator. Born in . . . — Map (db m136877) HM
Texas (Jasper County), Jasper — 18619 — Alamo Wall and Bulldog Stadium
Jasper Bulldog Stadium, established circa 1922, served as the centerpiece for the town's athletic competitions, becoming ever more popular over the years. By 1936, the bleachers were being filled at every game and rivalries were heating up . . . — Map (db m136966) HM
Texas (Jasper County), Jasper — 10433 — Beaty-Orton House
Twice the property of Beaty family members, this lot was purchased by Thomas Beaty in 1843 and sold in 1851. His grandson, John T. Beaty (1855-1937), acquired the site again in 1888 and erected this 2-story Victorian residence of native pine. A . . . — Map (db m136277) HM
Texas (Jasper County), Jasper — 11941 — Belle-Jim Hotel
This hotel was built in 1910 by Mamie Cornellia Neyland Patten (1868-1936) and named for her daughters Belle and "Miss Jim". Mrs. Patten and her four children were active in Jasper civic and social activities. After her mother died, Miss Jim took . . . — Map (db m128584) HM
Texas (Jasper County), Jasper — 10435 — Bevilport
Important river shipping and trading point; was made seat of Bevil municipality, 1834. Named for John Bevil, Texas Ranger, a delegate (1835) to Consultation on Texas Independence, Chief Justice of Jasper County (1839), farmer.

On Angelina . . . — Map (db m136893) HM

Texas (Jasper County), Jasper — 10447 — First United Methodist Church Of Jasper
During the late 1830s, the Rev. Moses Spear came to Texas and organized a Methodist circuit that included the town of Jasper. A congregation soon was established. In 1839, the Rev. Daniel Carl became first pastor. Jasper Methodists held worship . . . — Map (db m136892) HM
Texas (Jasper County), Jasper — J. H. Rowe School History
In 1875, ten years after the Civil War, the Jasper County Training School for Negroes was established two miles east of Jasper at Cold Springs on a two-acre tract of land with professor J.W. Moore, a very courageous caucasian, as its first . . . — Map (db m136968) HM
Texas (Jasper County), Jasper — 14177 — Jasper County
Jasper County Included in the Empresario grant to Lorenzo de Zavala in 1829. Created the municipality of Bevil in 1834, in honor of John Bevil, early settler. Name changed by the provisional government of Texas, December 3, 1835 . . . — Map (db m128583) HM
Texas (Jasper County), Jasper — 10453 — Jasper County Courthouse
Jasper County was one of the original twenty-three counties created when the Republic of Texas was established in 1836 following the Texas Revolution. Bevil Settlement, established by pioneer John Bevil about 1824, became the seat of government and . . . — Map (db m128582) HM
Texas (Jasper County), Jasper — 10452 — Jasper County, C. S. A.
Communication, transportation, supply and military center in Civil War Texas. Voted 315 to 25 in favor of secession. Crossed by Texas troops in the 1862-64 Louisiana campaigns to prevent split of the South and invasion of Texas. Confederate Army ran . . . — Map (db m128547) HM
Texas (Jasper County), Jasper — 10455 — Jasper Public Schools
Jasper Collegiate Institute, first local center for higher leaning, opened 1851; partially tax-supported, coeducational. First president was noted East Texas educator Marcus Montrose, graduate, Edinburgh University. After losses caused by Civil . . . — Map (db m136879) HM
Texas (Jasper County), Jasper — 18147 — Jasper Steers
In a time of segregated activities including sports, logging contractor Elmer Simmons organized the Jasper Steers, an African American baseball team. Simmons bought all bleachers, lighting, dressing rooms and concession stands from a defunct . . . — Map (db m128585) HM
Texas (Jasper County), Jasper — 16062 — Site of the Town of Bevilport
Important river navigation point, 1830-1860. Established by John Bevil in whose honor the municipality was first named in 1834 with Bevilport as seat of justice. A mail station in 1835. County seat of Jasper County, 1836-1837. Incorporated . . . — Map (db m136970) HM
Texas (Jasper County), Jasper — 10468 — Stephen Williams (May 9, 1760-CA. 1839
Stephen Williams was born in North Carolina and was the fourth child of blacksmith Richard Williams, Jr. In 1778, he enlisted for the first of what would be many times in the armed forces. Enlisting three times in the United States Army, Williams . . . — Map (db m136731) HM
Texas (Jasper County), Jasper — 10469 — Stephen Williams, Sr.
Born in North Carolina 1764 Fought at Camden, Brier Creek and Eutaw Springs in the Revolutionary War and the capture of San Antonio, 1835 in the Texas Revolution. — Map (db m136728) HM
Texas (Jasper County), Jasper — 10445 — The First Baptist Church Of Jasper
This church was organized on December 23, 1855, with 15 members. The establishment of the fellowship was directed by a Presbytery consisting of ministers John Bean, William Blackshear, E. S. Phelps, and W. W. Maund. The first service was conducted . . . — Map (db m136891) HM
Texas (Jasper County), Jasper — 10466 — Waggoner-Scarborough Home
Salesman J. T. Waggoner, Jr. (1860-1942) and his wife Sadie (Scarborough) (1870-1955) built this residence in 1927. It is closely associated with Mrs. Waggoner, a civic leader and longtime Jasper County school teacher affectionately known as "Miss . . . — Map (db m136262) HM
Texas (Jasper County), Jasper — 10471 — Zion Hill Missionary Baptist Church and Cemetery
Local tradition and Baptist church records indicate that the Zion Hill Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1852 with the Rev. John Bean as first pastor. The first church building on this site is thought to have been a small log house. On . . . — Map (db m136878) HM
Texas (Jasper County), Kirbyville — 10446 — Site of the First Kirbyville Church
This site became the center of spiritual and cultural activity in the Kirbyville area in 1898, when John Henry Kirby gave two town lots to the Baptist church for the erection of a sanctuary. the building was shared with the Methodist congregation . . . — Map (db m136880) HM
Texas (Jasper County), Kirbyville — 10456 — Town of Kirbyville Site of Town Lot Auction, May 1, 1895 for Town of Kirbyville
Named for John Henry Kirby, attorney, railroad builder, and timber, lumber, and oil king.

With R. P. Allen, Kirby founded the town when their railroad-- Gulf, Beaumont, & Kansas City-- reached this point. Since 1904 city has also been terminus . . . — Map (db m136881) HM


20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement