Camp grounds and lookout post (1850's-1880's) for military, mail coaches, freighters, travelers, emigrants. Site of area's last Indian raid, 1881. Part of John G. Prude Ranch.
Named by Gov. John Connally Dec. 21, 1964, to honor Barry Scobee . . . — — Map (db m59731) HM
Held each year since 1890. Founded by Rev. W.B. Bloys, a Presbyterian. His camp pulpit was an Arbuckle Coffee crate. First campers, 48 people from remote ranches and towns, slept in tents, wagons. Family groups had chuck-box meals, sharing with . . . — — Map (db m79373) HM
Friend of Texas. Visited first as officer Mexican War 1847. As U.S. Secretary of War in 1855, built up frontier forts to open West Texas to settlers. Camels imported for patrols, hauling.
His Postmaster-General and personal aide were Texans, as . . . — — Map (db m48611) HM
The Rev. L. R. Millican and the Rev. D. B. Rose established this church in 1896 with six charter members. Services were held on alternate Sundays in churches shared with the Methodist and Presbyterian congregations until 1921 when the Baptists . . . — — Map (db m61194) HM
Built 1881 of adobe brick, by settlers P. H. Pruett, Cal Nations, James Dawson, Joe Dorsey. At the same time Pruett built home a half-mile west. A Texas Rangers' camp in area gave protection from Indians. Mrs. Pruett once made a midnight ride to . . . — — Map (db m61143) HM
Established by Lieut. Col. Washington Seawell with six companies of the Eighth U.S. Infantry in October 1854 for protecting travelers on the San Antonio-El Paso Road. Named in honor of the then Secretary of War, Jefferson Davis, it was abandoned by . . . — — Map (db m26357) HM
Hotel Limpia, named for a nearby creek, was built here by the Union Trading Company in 1912. With a doctor's office, drugstore, stylish guest rooms, and spacious porches the hotel became a community social center where area news could be heard, a . . . — — Map (db m61192) HM
Formed from Presidio County. Created March 15, 1887. Organized May 16, 1887. Named in honor of Jefferson Davis. 1806-1868. President of the Confederate States. Fort Davis, County Seat, Presidio County, 1875. County Seat, Jeff Davis County, . . . — — Map (db m51483) HM
Designed by the architectural firm of L. L. Thurman and Co. of Dallas, this building was erected in 1910-1911 and replaced the original 1880 adobe courthouse. This concrete and stone Classical Revival edifice, erected by the Falls City Construction . . . — — Map (db m61144) HM
The community of Fort Davis grew up around the military post of the same name, established by the U.S. Army in 1854 to protect travelers on the San Antonio–El Paso Road. Fort Davis was designated as the Presidio county seat when the county was . . . — — Map (db m61191) HM
the ranch home of Manuel Musquiz,
a pioneer who settled here
Abandoned due to Indian raids
the deserted buildings served as
a Ranger Station intermittently,
1880 - 1882
while the country was being
cleared of . . . — — Map (db m5836) HM
Original unit in complex forming one of the great observatory centers of the world. Built in the 1930s under terms of legacy from William Johnson McDonald (1844-1926), a Paris (Texas) banker interested in the stars. A well-educated man, McDonald . . . — — Map (db m26389) HM
Confederate supply point and frontier outpost on great military road from San Antonio to El Paso 1861-62. After surrendered by U. S. Army, occupied by detachment 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles. Apaches ambushed patrol from fort under Lt. Mays in Big Bend . . . — — Map (db m73299) HM
Used from 1870s to 1914. Settlers buried here include: Mr. and Mrs. Diedrick Dutchover, immigrants from Belgium and Spain; their surname, coined by a recruiter in the Mexican War, is borne by many descendants. Dolores, who on her wedding eve . . . — — Map (db m53144) HM
Andrew Prude purchased three sections of land here in 1897 from J.F. Taylor, and established the A.G. Prude Ranch. Soon he moved his wife Ora to a small log house on their property on Limpia Creek. In 1900 he completed a wooden frame house for their . . . — — Map (db m128292) HM
Westward expeditions opened trails from San Antonio to El Paso in the late 1840s. Two routes, called the upper and lower roads, converged at the Pecos River to traverse the Davis Mountains.
Henry Skillman (1814-1864) began a courier service . . . — — Map (db m61196) HM
Catholic clergy began serving residents of the Fort Davis area about 1872. Father Joseph Hoban was appointed pastor in 1876 and the First St. Joseph Catholic Church building was erected in 1879. Father Hoban was followed by circuit-riding priest who . . . — — Map (db m61208) HM
F Co. 2nd Bat. 142nd Inf. Reg. 36th Inf. Div. At Salerno, 9, Sept. 1943, alone: 4 machine gun nests, one mortar squad, one 88mm gun, wounded…kept going. At Cassino: knocked out Mark IV tank with a bazooka.
Distinguished Service Cross, Silver . . . — — Map (db m61145) HM
In 1854, the U.S. Army established Fort Davis, which extended from this location westward into the box canyon. Initially, the fort consisted of crude wooden buildings with thatched and canvas roofs. Six stone barracks were later erected for the . . . — — Map (db m96009) HM
An excellent example of a Queen Anne style house executed in native stone, adobe, and milled wood, this house was built about 1898 as a summer home for the family of Henry M. and Annie Trueheart, residents of Galveston, where Mr. Trueheart was a . . . — — Map (db m61195) HM
Founded 1873 by O. M. Keesey and Geo. Gaither in adobe building on this site. Later owned by W. Keesey, an army baker, who sold clothing, groceries, cradles, guns, whiskey, coffins, tobacco, spittoons, wagonwheels, and harness, and did private . . . — — Map (db m61193) HM
In early days the Indian trail through these mountains followed the gorge below known as Limpia Canyon. To avoid the floods travelers over the San Antonio - El Paso Road, emigrants, U.S. troops and supply trains, and the mail chose this higher pass . . . — — Map (db m59709) HM