Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Jones County Texas Historical Markers

 
Butterfield Trail Marker image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, October 14, 2014
Butterfield Trail Marker
Texas (Jones County), Abilene — Butterfield Trail
U.S. Mail Route St. Louis to San Francisco Crossed Here 1858–1861 Marked by Woman’s Club of Anson — Map (db m78038) HM
Texas (Jones County), Abilene — Fort Phantom HillPost on the Clear Fork of the Brazos
By 1850 new settlers and travelers to the California Gold Rush were moving across Texas. This movement on the open plains increased hostilities between the newcomers and the Indians. The U.S. Army’s solution was a fort, called the Post on the Clear . . . — Map (db m74736) HM
Texas (Jones County), Abilene — 2004 — Fort Phantom Hill
Established November 14, 1851 Abandoned April 6, 1854 Repaired and Used by Southern Overland Mail, 1858-1861 Sub-Post of Fort Griffin in 1871 and 1872 A thriving village which grew up in its vicinity after the Civil War served as . . . — Map (db m74737) HM
Texas (Jones County), Abilene — Lake Fort Phantom Hill Parks - Johnson Park
History of Fort Phantom Hill The post was established on November 14, 1851 and just a year later was transformed into a well-organized and thoroughly developed post. However, conditions continued to be difficult for people at the . . . — Map (db m79324) HM
Texas (Jones County), Abilene — 15905 — Round Mound Cemetery
Round Mound Cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in Jones County and is located near the site of the former Deadman Creek or Round Mound settlement. The name “Round Mound” may derive from the highest point in the area, which is . . . — Map (db m78430) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — Anson Jones
Born in Massachusetts January Twentieth 1798 was licensed to practice medicine in 1820. Came to Texas in 1833. Doctor Jones participated in the Battle of San Jacinto 1836 while a surgeon in the army of Texas. He was a member of the Congress of the . . . — Map (db m78967) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — 173 — Anson Opera House
Built 1907 by A.W. Johnson and Dr. D. Williams, with Thomas Vetch, contractor. House was site for diverse programs: stock company and Chautauqua productions such as “East Lynn” and “The Klansman” (for which Sheriff Tom . . . — Map (db m78915) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — 16003 — Cowboys' Christmas Ball
In 1885, M.G. Rhodes hosted a wedding party and dance at his Star Hotel in Anson. One guest was Larry Chittenden, a salesman and writer visiting his uncle in Jones County. He was so inspired by the dance held that night for the cowboys and ladies . . . — Map (db m78893) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — 1826 — First Presbyterian Church Building
The Rev. Donald Frazier and nine charter members organized the First Presbyterian Church of Anson in 1882. This structure, the congregation’s third sanctuary, was built in 1929. After membership declined in the 1970s, the congregation was dissolved . . . — Map (db m78911) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — 1880 — First United Methodist Church of Anson
This congregation was organized in 1882 by the Rev. J.C. Strickland, a pioneer Methodist circuit rider. In 1908, during the pastorate of the Rev. W.H. Terry, local builder Thomas Veitch constructed this Romanesque Revival building for the church. . . . — Map (db m78912) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — 2006 — Fort Phantom Hill C.S.A. / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense
Fort Phantom Hill C.S.A. Located 10 mi. east, 9 mi. south on old Butterfield stageline. Upon secession company of First Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles used it as an outpost to give protection against Indians. Stopover on way west for . . . — Map (db m78966) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — 2844 — Jones County
Site of Emigrant Trail, the Frontier Military Road, and Fort Phantom Hill, founded in 1851 to guard the military road.      County created 1858 from Bexar and Bosque counties. Named for Anson Jones (1798–1858), a veteran of San Jacinto, . . . — Map (db m78965) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — 12415 — Jones County Courthouse
The Seventh Texas Legislature created Jones County in 1858 and named it for Anson Jones, the last president of the Republic of Texas. The Civil War, Reconstruction, and the area’s untamed wilderness combined to postpone the county’s formal . . . — Map (db m78964) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — Omar BurlesonSeventeenth Congressional District
Born NE of Anson Mar. 19, 1906. Attended AHS, ACU, HSU and Cumberland Univ. Admitted to Texas Bar 1929, Co. Attorney 1931-34, Co. Judge 1934-40, FBI 1940-41, Lt. Comdr. USNR 1942-46, U.S. Congress 1947-78. Died May 14, 1991. — Map (db m78856) HM
Texas (Jones County), Avoca — 13400 — Arledge Field
In preparation for the eventual U.S. entry into World War II, Gen. Henry H. “Hap” Arnold sought to expand the nation’s combat air forces by asking civilian flight schools to provide the primary phase of training for air cadets. At twenty . . . — Map (db m79144) HM
Texas (Jones County), Avoca — 390 — Bethel Lutheran Church(Site Acquired, Cemetery Located, 1906; This Sanctuary Built, 1932-41)
Situated on ranch land of family of S.M. Swenson, banker who in 1850s underwrote Swedish migration to Texas. Church forms center for Ericksdahl community, founded 1905 by Swedes formerly living near Austin. Visiting pastors L.J. Sundquist and J.A. . . . — Map (db m79170) HM
Texas (Jones County), Avoca — 5013 — Spring Creek Cemetery
Located near Spring Creek, this cemetery began in 1891 on two acres of land donated by the Methodist church in the community known as Avo. The first recorded burial was that of Elender Cannon in February 1891. The Methodist church deeded two . . . — Map (db m79143) HM
Texas (Jones County), Avoca — Swan's ChapelEstablished 1905
In 1905 J.L. Swan donated this land for a school and a cemetery. In 1913 the school was moved down the road by the work of Herman and Emma Breland Lieb with Tom and Laura Rowland and many others. The Church of Christ bought the property. A . . . — Map (db m79135) HM
Texas (Jones County), Hamlin — 13406 — Boyd Chapel Community
Settlements began to develop in Jones County by the mid-1800s, first around the abandoned Fort Phantom Hill site and then around ranches founded in the 1880s and farms established shortly thereafter. At this site in 1895, Reese Davis, Joe Swent and . . . — Map (db m78764) HM
Texas (Jones County), Hamlin — 12356 — Hamlin
Early settler R.D. Moore conveyed 320 acres of land to the International Construction Co. (also called the Orient Land Co.) of Kansas City, Missouri, for a town site along the Panhandle Gulf Railway in September 1902. Probably named for Orient . . . — Map (db m78763) HM
Texas (Jones County), Hamlin — 3570 — Neinda Baptist Church
Organized on July 21, 1889, as the Baptist Church of Christ at Plum Creek, this church began with thirteen charter members. The congregation met in a community building shared by the Methodist church and the local Masonic lodge until a Baptist . . . — Map (db m78788) HM
Texas (Jones County), Hamlin — 13955 — Neinda Community
Soon after Jones County organized in 1881, ranchers settled west of Skinout Mountain and established a community called Banner. In 1890, a post office named Neinda opened, with John O’Brien as postmaster. A cemetery began the following year. The . . . — Map (db m78789) HM
Texas (Jones County), Hawley — 12502 — Compere Cemetery
This burial ground is all that remains of the farming community of Compere, established in the 1880s on ranch land sold by the Compere brothers. In 1900, Daniel and Callie Palmer settled in the area along with their children: Henry, Wilder, William, . . . — Map (db m78399) HM
Texas (Jones County), Hawley — 12814 — Site of Truby School
Early educational efforts in this area date to the 1870s, prior to the organization of Jones County in 1881. The rural community of Truby encompassed School District No. 14 until consolidating with Bitter Creek schools in 1916 to become District No. . . . — Map (db m78455) HM
Texas (Jones County), Hawley — 16154 — Truby Cemetery
Several gravestones at this site attest to its use as a burial ground by nearby settlers before members of the Daughtrey family, early area ranchers, formally deeded these three acres for cemetery use on December 4, 1906. The oldest marked grave is . . . — Map (db m78451) HM WM
Texas (Jones County), Lueders — 2005 — 8.6 Miles South to Fort Phantom Hill
Established November 14, 1851 by the United States Army as a protection of the settlers against the Indians. Abandoned and burned April 6, 1854. Repaired and used by Southern Overland Mail, 1858-1861, sub-post of Fort Griffin, 1871-1872, temporary . . . — Map (db m78401) HM
Texas (Jones County), Lueders — 16870 — Lueders Cemetery
The town of Lueders lies along the Clear Fork of the Brazos River, on land given by the state of Texas to heirs of Frederick Luders, a German immigrant who fought at the Battle of San Jacinto. Early area settlers included U.S. Indian agent Jess . . . — Map (db m79171) HM
Texas (Jones County), Stamford — 3039 — "The Poet Ranchman" Larry Chittenden(March 23, 1862 - Sept. 24, 1934)
Author of "Cowboys' Christmas Ball"—cited for literary merit by National Folklore Society.          Born in New Jersey, Chittenden first came to Texas as a sales agent. In 1884 he visited S.M. Swenson at this site; in 1887 began developing . . . — Map (db m92491) HM
Texas (Jones County), Stamford — AQHHMP #1 — First AQHA ShowAmerican Quarter Horse Historical Marker
The first American Quarter Horse Association-approved show was held here on July 2-4, 1940, in conjunction with the Texas Cowboy Reunion. AQHA had just been organized and incorporated in March of the same year in Fort Worth. DEL RIO JOE, a 1936 . . . — Map (db m92492) HM
Texas (Jones County), Stamford — 15310 — First Baptist Church
Organized on February 22, 1900, soon after the founding of Stamford, this church has been an integral part of the community since that time. Initially meeting in a shed on present Oliver Street and then in a building on the town square, the . . . — Map (db m92576) HM
Texas (Jones County), Stamford — 11983 — New Hope Cemetery
William F. Bean (1872-1944) and his wife Birdie Bean (1881-1917) were among the first settlers to the New Hope community; both their families arrived in 1883. William’s great-uncle, Amos Bean, died between 1883 and 1890 and was interred under a tree . . . — Map (db m79136) HM
Texas (Jones County), Stamford — 5046 — St. John's Methodist
Church, built 1910 in pastorate of Dr. Robt. Goodrich, for congregation founded 1900 in Sledge Hall, under Rev. S. Gay. With 100' tower, long the tallest church between Dallas and El Paso. Served community of old Stamford College (now McMurry). Has . . . — Map (db m92581) HM
Texas (Jones County), Stamford — 11693 — Stamford
Swedish native Swante Magnus Swenson and his two sons, Eric Pierson and Swen Albin Swenson, came to Texas in 1882 to establish the SMS ranches. In 1899, Eric P. and Swen A. Swenson donated a large section of land for a townsite on an extension of . . . — Map (db m92575) HM
Texas (Jones County), Stamford — 5166 — Swenson Land and Cattle Company Headquarters
Businessman Swen (Svante) Magnus Swenson (1816-1896), first Swedish settler in Texas, is closely associated with Sam Houston and his effort to keep Texas in the Union prior to the Civil War. In 1854 Swenson purchased large land tracts here which he . . . — Map (db m92580) HM
Texas (Jones County), Stamford — 5256 — Texas Cowboy Reunion Oldtimers' Association
Founded 1930, jointly with Texas Cowboy Reunion—to "hand down to posterity, customs and traditions" of early cattle people who lived in dugouts and fought drouths, die-outs, heat and freeze-ups, raising the longhorns that finally brought . . . — Map (db m92490) HM

35 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement