Near this site (about 2.5 mi. N on Cibolo Creek) stood the 18th-century Spanish fort of El Fuerte de Santa Cruz del Cibolo, usually called El Fuerte del Cibolo or El Cibolo. Built to protect the many Spanish ranches between San Antonio and La Bahia . . . — — Map (db m121606) HM
Jacob Lyssy (1837-1880) and John Pawlik, Jr. (1845-1912) of the Czestochowa parish each donated one acre of land to Bishop Anthony D. Pellicer of the Archdiocese of San Antonio to be used as a burial ground for the newly established Nativity of the . . . — — Map (db m131923) HM
The second Polish colony in Karnes County, the village in this area grew out of a small settlement known as St. Joe and was formally established in 1873. At times the priest at Panna Maria would conduct services at St. Joseph School in what would . . . — — Map (db m121602) HM
Founded in 1852 on San Antonio River by Thomas Ruckman, a graduate of Princeton, and Lewis Owings, later first Governor of Arizona Territory. Town was named in honor of Owings' wife, Helen.
Situated on branch of famed Chihuahua Trail (running . . . — — Map (db m132367) HM
Example of religious toleration in frontier Texas. Site was used early as 1866 by Methodists, whose church was "free to any Christian denomination for...worship, (and) subject to use of...Helena School".
Trustees of that church were T. K. . . . — — Map (db m132368) HM
Soon after Karnes County was created and organized in 1854, a frame and clapboard courthouse was erected at this site in the center of Jefferson Square.
This rock structure was built in 1873 to replace the first courthouse and adjacent county . . . — — Map (db m132370) HM
After centuries of use by buffalo and Indians, this trail from San Antonio to the Texas coast gained importance when opened to colonial travel by the Alarcon Expedition in 1718.
Spanish conquistadores and priests, the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition . . . — — Map (db m132371) HM
Founding father of Karnes County, Ruckman was born in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania. He graduated in 1848 from the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University) and taught in South Carolina for a year. But the lure of Texas - then a . . . — — Map (db m132372) HM
Seat of Karnes County; was founded in Christmas season, 1890, when a partnership headed by Otto Buchel bought 1,000 acres of land from J. L. Calvert for $5 an acre. The tract was near the geographic center of the county and adjoined the right-of-way . . . — — Map (db m131922) HM
Formed from Bexar County
Created February 4, 1854
Organized February 27, 1854
Named in honor of
Henry Wax Karnes
Conspicuous for gallantry at
storming of Bexar
Commanded a company at
Texas Ranger . . . — — Map (db m121656) HM
In 1854 Karnes County erected its first courthouse in the county seat of Helena, an important stage stop between San Antonio and Goliad. The original courthouse was destroyed in a storm about 1865 and a new stone courthouse was built in Helena in . . . — — Map (db m121652) HM
On June 12, 1901, Sheriff W.T. "Brack” Morris and deputy arrived at the Thulemeyer Ranch to question Gregorio Cortez (1875-1916) about a reported horse theft in Atascosa County. A shootout ensued, leaving Sheriff Morris dead. Cortez fled the . . . — — Map (db m121759) HM
Built in 1855; used as a storeroom for landlord's share of Panna Maria crops. The landlord, John Twohig, a devout Catholic, set aside one room of store for the church and school.
Owned and operated by the Snoga family since 1918. . . . — — Map (db m131919) HM
Settled by 100 Polish families who came to Texas to gain economic, political and religious freedom.
Led by Father Leopold Moczygemba, O.F.M., Conv., they made a contract in 1854 with John Twohig, a San Antonio banker and merchant, for land at . . . — — Map (db m131916) HM
Built 1875; second oldest store in Panna Maria; still has original rafters and floors. Lime for mortaring stones (visible on back and sides) was fired in home kilns. Store was bought by Victor Pilarczyk, 1913. First gas pump was installed 1919. . . . — — Map (db m131918) HM
Built 1868. Oldest Polish private school in America.
Since 1855, classes had been held in various sites. This was the first school building in the colony at Panna Maria. Teachers lived upstairs and classes were held on the ground floor. . . . — — Map (db m131920) HM
Oldest Polish settlement in Texas -
Established December 24, 1854 by
the Reverend Leopold Moczygemba
O.F.M., who was instrumental in
bringing from Poland about 100
Polish peasant families - Within a
few months the majority sought . . . — — Map (db m131917) HM