Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Kaufman County Texas Historical Markers

 
Methodist Church, 1844 image, Touch for more information
By Rheba Bybee, August 20, 2016
Methodist Church, 1844
Texas (Kaufman County), College Mound — 8535 — Methodist Church, 1844
In 1844 A.J. Beck, Henry Beck Wilson Fogleman, A.H. Henry W.T. Patton, Ed. King settled in this vicinity A Methodist church was organized in 1845 with Rev. J.W. Fields as pastor A.H. Henry, Ed. King, stewards, A.H. Henry . . . — Map (db m97065) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Crandall — 8505 — City of Crandall
Named for The Rev. C. F. Crandall (1827-1906), Methodist minister who came here from Indiana, 1877, and bought 1800 acres of land. When Texas Trunk Line Railroad built east from Dallas in 1880, he gave bonus for rail service and was first postmaster . . . — Map (db m95811) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Elmo — 17621 — Locust Grove
Established in the 1800s, the Locust Grove community included a saw mill, three churches, a grocery store, a doctor's office and a school. In 1891, J. H. Muckleroy and W. B. Martin sold three acres to James F. Smith and W. J. Waggoner for a school, . . . — Map (db m97230) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Forney — 9418 — 1899 Automobile Trip
On October 5, 1899, Edward H. R. Green drove his newly-acquired "St. Louis" automobile from Terrell to Dallas. Accompanied by the car's manufacturer, George B. Dorris, Green passed through Forney on his historic journey. The five-and-one-half-hour, . . . — Map (db m95469) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Forney — 9421 — Brooklyn Lodge No. 386, A.F. & A.M.
Following the arrival of the Texas and Pacific Railroad in the village of Brooklyn in 1873, the town name was changed to Forney in honor of John Wein Forney, a director of the railroad. The local Masonic Lodge was organized the same year, using the . . . — Map (db m95786) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Forney — 8536 — Dick P. Moore House
Built in 1910, this home dates from a period of economic boom enjoyed by the town of Forney from 1873 until 1929. It was constructed for Georgia native Dick Parmenas Moore (1869-1943), a merchant who owned a large amount of cotton acreage in the . . . — Map (db m95787) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Forney — 13299 — Dixie Overland Highway (U.S. Highway 80)
In the early 20th century, soon after the development of the automobile, travelers, city officials and others began planning for a network of paved overland routes. In the era before the advent of the interstate highway system, road associations . . . — Map (db m95788) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Forney — 8512 — First Presbyterian Church of Forney
This church was created by the merger of two congregations. Before the town of Brooklyn was renamed Forney, the Brooklyn Church of the Presbytery of Bacon of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized in 1872. A second congregation, the Forney . . . — Map (db m95790) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Forney — 8517 — Forney
A Native American trail, sometimes referred to as the Kickapoo Trace, and early Anglo-American roads traversed this area prior to the settlement of the pioneer families of Isaac Briscoe and Jacob Sheltman in the mid-1840s. By 1871 a village called . . . — Map (db m95466) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Forney — 8518 — Forney High School Building
Forney's first schoolhouse was built here about 1868, and its first general store was built nearby by pioneer settler John C. McKellar in 1871. This building was erected by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938-39. Designed by WPA . . . — Map (db m95791) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Forney — 8519 — Forney Independent School District
Public education began in Forney (then named Brooklyn) about 1868 when a 16' x 16' room was built, serving as both a schoolhouse and Union church. Forney School District No. 9, formed in 1876, was part of a county-wide school system. In 1889 the . . . — Map (db m95793) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Forney — 11987 — Hillcrest Cemetery
After the community of Brooklyn was relocated and renamed Forney when the Texas and Pacific Railroad was built through here in 1873, its early burial ground was no longer convenient to the town. In 1878, a committee of civic leaders organized the . . . — Map (db m95794) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Forney — 8534 — McKellar House
Originally built in 1873 by landowner and merchant John Alexander McKellar (1813-1875), this house was remodeled to its current appearance by his son, B. Yancy McKellar (1859-1916) about 1902. Features of the colonial revival structure include . . . — Map (db m95795) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Forney — 8520 — The Forney Messenger
The Forney Messenger is the oldest newspaper in continuous operation in Forney. Founded in 1896 by M.J. Cox, the first issue was printed on April 16 and contained a personal column, school news, a local church directory, and news from surrounding . . . — Map (db m95796) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Forney — 9416 — Walter Dickson Adams and the Adams Drugstore
A native of Kaufman County, Walter Dickson Adams (1872-1961) came to Forney in 1887. In 1893 he purchased the F.M. Adams Drugstore, a successor of the R.C. Dansby Drugstore established in 1878. He was the town's most prominent druggist for the next . . . — Map (db m95798) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Forney — 11986 — William and Blanche Brooks House
Designed by Dallas Architect Charles Alexander Gill and built on a lot received as a wedding gift from Yancy McKellar, this was the home of local business and civic leaders William A. and Blanche Brooks and their family. Built in the Queen Anne . . . — Map (db m95800) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Forney — 12885 — William Madison McDonald
William Madison "Gooseneck Bill" McDonald was born in 1866 near Johnson Point, a small community southeast of Terrell. His parents, former slaves, were George McDonald, born in Tennessee, and Flora Scott McDonald, born in Alabama. His mother died . . . — Map (db m95801) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 8552 — Capt. Israel Spikes (1824-1879)
Pioneer patriot. Spikes Prairie named for him and his family. In 1875-1876 Spikes served as an elected spokesman from this district in state convention to reestablish free government. He rode horseback to Austin with John H. Reagan, former . . . — Map (db m96378) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 16775 — Cedarvale Cemetery
Cedarvale Cemetery Established Ca. 1850 Historic Texas Cemetery - 2007 — Map (db m97054) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 8500 — Church of Our Merciful Saviour
Rural Gothic architecture. In parish formed 1883. Site given 1898; built 1909 under lead of Mr. and Mrs. Woodson Nash. Consecrated May 2, 1909, by The Rt. Rev. A. C. Garrett, first bishop of Missionary District of Northern Texas. Recorded . . . — Map (db m96117) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 8497 — Colonel Isham Chisum (1818-1884)
One of leading early citizens of Kaufman County. Represented the county in Texas Secession Convention, Jan.-March 1861. Later in 1861, he fought in Confederate cavalry of Col. Tom Green in New Mexico campaign. As Colonel of 2nd Partisan Rangers, . . . — Map (db m97327) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 8504 — Covenant United Presbyterian Church
Organized July 1854 by The Rev. Richard O. Watkins, as Cumberland Presbyterian Church. First church building was erected in 1854-55. First pastor, The Rev. Dempsey W. Broughton, helped found Trinity University. Present sanctuary was built in 1877. . . . — Map (db m97091) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 8507 — First Baptist Church of Kaufman
Organized Nov. 5, 1871, by Elder J. B. Daniel, assisted by The Rev. A. D. Manion, missionary of East Fork Baptist Association. Nine charter members met in homes or other places until 1883, when the first small white frame church with steeple was . . . — Map (db m96170) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 9427 — First Christian Church of Kaufman
R.A. Hindman, who started the first newspaper in Kaufman, moved to the area in 1861. With his direction, this congregation was organized the same year. Services were conducted in homes until 1877 when members bought a sanctuary at the corner of . . . — Map (db m96173) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 8515 — First United Methodist Church
Organized in February of 1845 as the Kingsborough Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The Rev. Wm. K. Wilson was first pastor. In 1850 Kingsborough (county seat) was renamed Kaufman. Present site was purchased and first building erected 1857, with . . . — Map (db m96171) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 8521 — Fox Cemetery
Set aside as a burial ground by Joseph Fox. His daughter Sarah K. first person buried here, Aug. 24, 1852. Grounds are cared for by descendants, friends. Jos. Fox was born 1800 in London. Died in Prospect, Texas, 1872. Was physician. . . . — Map (db m96381) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 8523 — Greenslade Drug Store
Built 1891 by R.C. Dansby; of iron, masonry, wood. Sold to Smith E. Greenslade, 1919; still in Greenslade family. Exposed iron beams support the roof. Windows have upper and side panels that fold for ventilation. Modified Spanish . . . — Map (db m96181) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 8527 — Huff-Park House
Built 1889 by W.L. Huff; bought 1892 by Dr. J.W. Park (1855-1941). Born in Texas, Park studied at Louisville (Ky.) Medical College. As doctors were scarce, he was licensed in 1877, and practiced two years in Egypt (Tex.), then returned to take . . . — Map (db m96193) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 8528 — Kaufman County
Created February 26, 1848 Organized August 7, 1848 Named in honor of David Spangler Kaufman 1812-1851 Came to Texas in 1837 and located at Nacogdoches Member of the Texas Congress 1839-1845 Member of the United States Congress . . . — Map (db m96206) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — Kaufman County Confederate Soldiers Monument
UCV Erected to the memory of the Confederate soldiers by the people of Kaufman County. 1861-1865 No soldiers ever fought more bravely on the field, nor suffered greater privations for their country. They went down into battle at the command of . . . — Map (db m63755) WM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 16158 — Kaufman County Indigent Cemetery
This burial ground is part of 600 acres purchased for use as a poor farm operated by Kaufman County beginning in 1883. It is the final resting place for some of Kaufman County's citizens who were poor farm residents, county jail inmates, paupers, . . . — Map (db m95806) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 11988 — Kaufman County Poor Farm
As did many Texas counties of the era, Kaufman County created a poor farm in 1883 in order to provide the indigent residents and families of the area with food, shelter, and medicine. This work program replaced earlier relief efforts. All . . . — Map (db m95807) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 11990 — Kaufman Pioneer Cemetery (Love Family Cemetery)
William and Nancy Kirk Love and their children were the earliest settlers near King's Fort, establishing themselves there in January 1845. Their son, Robert H. Love, is believed to have been the first person interred on this site upon his death in . . . — Map (db m95808) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 11991 — King's Fort
An early frontier fort of the Republic of Texas, King's Fort was built in June of 1840 by a survey party led by Warren A. Ferris, then Nacogdoches County surveyor. Dr. William P. King of Mississippi financed the expedition and accompanied Ferris. . . . — Map (db m96207) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 8537 — Morrow Chapel Cemetery
This burial ground originally served members of the Morrow family, early area settlers. It was first used in 1853 for the interment of Alexander Morrow, an infant. In 1892 his mother Mary Elizabeth Morrow (1812-94) gave the site and adjoining land . . . — Map (db m97234) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kaufman — 8529 — Mrs. William P. King (Donor, Land for County seat, Kaufman County)
Wife of founder of King's Fort (in 1840), Frances A. King pioneered with great courage and enthusiasm in Republic of Texas. After King's death in 1846, she later (as Mrs. Tabor) entered and won election of Kingsborough for county seat of newly . . . — Map (db m96208) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kemp — 9419 — Baker Cemetery
John Baker, his wife Eliza, and their family migrated to Texas from Illinois in 1835, settling on land granted to him. Baker Cemetery began as a family burial site with the death of their infant son William in 1848. Gradually this site became a . . . — Map (db m95897) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kemp — 12818 — Kemp
This community can trace its origins to 1851, when the U.S. Postal Service approved a station named Kemp with Levi Noble as first postmaster. In the years prior to the Civil War, Kemp was primarily an agricultural community, providing goods and . . . — Map (db m95900) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kemp — 8532 — Lone Oak Cemetery
In 1858 passing strangers lost a son by sudden death. Befriending them, Weaver A. Cotton (1822-96) provided gravesite at a tree near log school-church building. Later he gave community burial ground; deed was recorded 1883. Cotton and family and . . . — Map (db m95901) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Kemp — 8545 — Pyle Prairie Cemetery
John Pyle, a veteran of the Republic of Texas Army, arrived in this area with his family in the 1850s. According to family tradition, this cemetery was begun in 1854 with the death of Pyle's son-in-law J.P. McFarland. The community which grew up in . . . — Map (db m95904) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Mabank — 8508 — First Baptist Church of Mabank
In 1898 or 1899 nine charter members under The Rev. E.J. Thompson, a missionary for the East Fork Baptist Association, organized Lawndale Baptist Church (1 mi. NE). After the railroad arrived in 1900, the fellowship moved here and became Mabank . . . — Map (db m96382) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Mabank — 8513 — First Presbyterian Church of Mabank
Organized on September 11, 1896, this church began as a small Cumberland Presbyterian congregation in the town of Lawndale (about 2 mi. E of the original Mabank townsite; now within its city limits). Worship services were held in the Lawndale . . . — Map (db m96448) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Mabank — 8533 — Mabank
Originally part of the George T. Walters Survey, this acreage in the 1840s and '50s belonged to many absentee landowners including Sam Houston. In 1887 John R. Jones, a merchant from nearby Goshen, and his wife Joella platted and developed a town . . . — Map (db m96337) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Mabank — 8548 — Roddy Lodge No. 734, A.F. & A.M.
The community of Roddy (4 mi. NE) was established by Stephen G. Roddy in 1884. The Roddy Masonic Lodge was chartered on May 14, 1892. The 24 charter members included Worshipful Master S. G. Roddy and many former members of the lodge in Prairieville, . . . — Map (db m96339) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Mabank — 8561 — White Hall School
Built in 1888 on land donated by the Albert T. Rice family, the first White Hall School was a one-room building. First called Caney Creek School, its name was changed to White Hall in 1910. A new four-room building was erected in 1928, and by the . . . — Map (db m96450) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Prairieville — 9422 — Capt. Edward Thomas Broughton and the Johnson Guards
Alabama native Edward Thomas Broughton, Jr. (b. 1834) came to Jasper, Texas, with his family in 1847. Broughton married Mary Elizabeth Douglas in 1856. He studied law in Smith County and was admitted to the bar in 1857. By 1860 the Broughtons were . . . — Map (db m96380) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Prarieville — 8544 — Prairieville (Site within Mercer Colony land grant)
Established by colonizer Johan Reinert Reiersen (1810-64). The 1845 founder of Brownboro (Normandy) in present Henderson County, who settled here in 1847. Elise Tvede Waerenskjold, Reiersen's aide on his magazine "Norway and Texas", spurred . . . — Map (db m96379) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Rosser — 8550 — Rosser Depot of the Texas Midland Railroad
Originally known as Trinidad, Rosser depended on the Trinity River for trade until 1882, when a line of the Houston and Texas Central Railroad was built here. The company was later renamed the Texas Midland Railroad by Mrs. Hetty Green of New York, . . . — Map (db m95805) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Scurry — 8502 — Cottonwood Baptist Church
The Rev. A.M.K. Sowell served as the first pastor for this congregation, organized in 1880. Worship services were held in a log building constructed on land donated for community use by C.L. Tippett and J.W. Swayze. Members shared the facility with . . . — Map (db m95802) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Scurry — 8503 — Cottonwood Cemetery
Established in 1882 on land donated by settler J.W. Swayze for a church building, school house, and cemetery. First grave was that of J.R. Swayze (1850-1882), a brother of the donor. Now enlarged to five acres, the cemetery includes acreage . . . — Map (db m95891) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Scurry — 11989 — Kaufman Lodge No. 726, A.F. & A.M.
The first Mason Lodge in Kaufman County, Bloomfield Lodge No. 112, was located in Kaufman. In times of heavy rain during the 1880s, the roads were impassable. For this reason 16 members petitioned for a lodge charter in the 8-year-old town of Scurry . . . — Map (db m95803) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Scurry — 8538 — Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church
Organized in 1860 during the Civil War era, this is one of the oldest active churches of Kaufman County. It was originally located at Mt. Olive Cemetery (1.5 mi. W) in a one-room log cabin which was also used for a school. The Rev. E. S. Colthorp . . . — Map (db m95804) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8485 — Ables Springs
This small settlement, which lies in a region of natural springs, was named for an early Kaufman County family. James W. and Eliza (Godfrey) Ables moved to this area in 1853 and settled on land granted to his father, Ezekial Ables, in 1848. The . . . — Map (db m97838) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 9420 — Bethlehem Baptist Church
The oldest black Baptist congregation extant in Terrell, this church traces its history to 1877, when a group of worshipers led by missionary A.R. Griggs met under a brush arbor. With the Rev. P.W. Upshaw serving as first pastor, church members . . . — Map (db m97584) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 9425 — Carnegie Library Building
Completed in 1904, this library building is located on land owned in the 1890s by local publisher O. B. Colquitt, who later became the governor of Texas. It was designed by the Waco firm of Messer and Smith and features classical detailing. Through . . . — Map (db m97323) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 9426 — Carnegie Public Library
Opened 1904 through the efforts of local women's clubs. Building a gift of public benefactor Andrew Carnegie. Only library in Kaufman County; has been information center for students of five local colleges and a site of early civic functions. . . . — Map (db m97324) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8499 — Church of the Good Shepherd
Organized as mission by Rev. John Portmess, vicar, Trinity Sunday, 1877. First services were held at Terrell Academy, a private school founded by the vicar. In 1878 first church edifice was built on this site and consecrated. Parish was admitted to . . . — Map (db m97316) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8524 — Dr. L. E. Griffith Homeplace
Dr. L. E. Griffith Homeplace Built between 1853 & 1873 (prior to the town's incorporation) and unchanged since its construction, this plantation style raised cottage is typical of early Texas architecture. Unusual features include two front doors & . . . — Map (db m97910) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8506 — Dry Creek Cemetery
Named for a nearby ravine, this burial ground originally served the community of Turner's Point. Located on the stage road between Shreveport, Louisiana, and Dallas, the settlement was established by Elisha Turner in 1845. In the 1870s the town was . . . — Map (db m97850) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8509 — First Baptist Church of Terrell
The Rev. J.B. Daniel (d. 1884) organized this church in 1876 and served as its first pastor. The congregation started with 13 members, who met once a month for services. The first church building was a small frame structure erected on this block in . . . — Map (db m97325) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8511 — First Christian Church of Terrell
Organized in 1876 with 18 to 20 charter members, this church met in borrowed quarters until its first sanctuary was built on this site in 1881. That building had become inadequate by 1895, as the membership had grown tenfold, so a new structure was . . . — Map (db m97360) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8514 — First Presbyterian Church of Terrell
This congregation traces its history to two Presbyterian churches formed in the 1870s. A Cumberland Presbyterian Church, formerly located in the town of Lawrence, and the First Presbyterian Church in Terrell, also called the Old School Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m97945) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8516 — First United Methodist Church of Terrell
The Rev. J. W. Fields (1817-1886) organized this church in 1873, the same year the Texas & Pacific Railroad opened a station at the Terrell townsite. A frame church was built and the Sunday School started in 1877. In 1900, when the membership had . . . — Map (db m97947) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8546 — Frank Reaugh (December 29, 1860 - May 6, 1945)
Graphic historian of longhorn cattle, western trails, and range. Born in Illinois. Son of George W. and Clarinda Morgan Reaugh. In 1876 moved to Kaufman County, where on trail beside the family cotton farm was born his love for wild range . . . — Map (db m97588) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8498 — Gov. Oscar Branch Colquitt (1861-1940) This Block is the Former Homesite of
Twenty-fourth Governor of Texas (1911-1915). Known as "The Napoleon of Texas Politics" and "Little Oscar" because of his short stature, Colquitt was a strong and independent chief executive. His stump speeches were among the most effective of his . . . — Map (db m97315) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8501 — John H. Corley Home
Built 1896 by John Neilson, a former shipbuilder. Many of the building materials were shipped to Jefferson, Texas, by boat, then here by railroad. Elaborate Victorian architecture. Curly pine and cypress stairway with three landings has unusual . . . — Map (db m97948) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8531 — Lawrence Cemetery
In 1873, soon after the Texas and Pacific Railroad built a line through this area, a group of investors formed the Texas Colony Association with the goal of promoting a town. Named for one of the company directors, the town of Lawrence was . . . — Map (db m97635) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 17215 — Major W.F. Long (1894-1976)
Missouri native William Francis "Bill" Long was 17 when his family moved to Texas. During World War I, he was an aerial observer and pilot in the 24th Aero Squadron, First Army Observation Group. After the war, he established San Antonio Aviation . . . — Map (db m97636) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 16688 — No. 1 British Flying Training School
By 1939, the British government recognized that in the event of war with Germany, training facilities would need to be established overseas in Commonwealth countries, or in the U.S. at civilian schools similar to those already utilized by the (then) . . . — Map (db m97637) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8539 — Oakland Memorial Park
After Terrell was established as a railroad town in 1873, its citizens saw the need for a community burial ground. In 1878 John R. Terrell sold 7 acres of land for use as a cemetery, and the first burials were those of Peter Meinenger and Dr. G. W. . . . — Map (db m97640) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8540 — Poetry Baptist Church
The oldest Baptist church in Kaufman County, organized in 1855 by The Rev. J.J. Butler and The Rev. J.R. Briscoe. Original name was Salem Baptist Church, when the community was called Turner's Point. In 1870, the congregation helped organize the . . . — Map (db m97852) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8541 — Poetry Methodist Church
Originally called Turners Point, this community was founded in 1845 by Elisha Turner. In 1855 the Methodist congregation paid Zachariah Turner and his wife Martha $20 for the original church site. The Rev. J.W. Fields, a Methodist circuit rider . . . — Map (db m97853) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8542 — Porter Farms
Birthplace of agricultural (cooperative) extension, under lead of Dr. Seaman A. Knapp, U.S. Department of Agriculture. On Feb. 26, 1903, from places offered, a special committee of citizens selected farm of Mr. and Mrs. Walter C. Porter for first . . . — Map (db m97742) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8543 — Public Education in Terrell
On July 3, 1883, the citizens of Terrell voted overwhelmingly to establish and support a system of public schools. The first classes were held in September of that year in buildings that had previously been occupied by various private schools. In . . . — Map (db m98020) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8553 — Robert A. Terrell (February 22, 1820 - March 8, 1881)
A native of Tennessee, Robert Adams Terrell lived in Kentucky, Missouri, and Louisiana before coming to the Republic of Texas about 1840. A farmer and surveyor by trade, he was commissioned to locate headright land grants in several North Texas . . . — Map (db m97639) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8554 — Robert A. Terrell Home
This house replaced the 1845 log cabin of Robert A. Terrell (1820-1881), a pioneer settler for whom the town was named. Built for him in 1864, it is one of the few remaining octagon-shaped houses in Texas. Since 1897 it has been associated with a . . . — Map (db m97642) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8547 — Rockwall and Brin Church of Christ
Growing out of meetings held in members' homes, this church was organized in 1896. Services were held in Odd-Fellows Hall until 1900, when a small frame church was built on College Street. C. A. Norred became first full-time minister in 1914, the . . . — Map (db m97950) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8549 — Rose Hill Cemetery
Wild roses covered this hillside when settlers from Tennessee camped here in 1866. The land was first used as a burial site after a son of W. R. Dickey died on Aug. 14, 1866. Dr. James R. Stovall, leader of the pioneers, later donated the property. . . . — Map (db m97235) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 14636 — S. M. N. Marrs
On January 2, 1862, Starlin Marion Newberry Marrs was born in Gauley Bridge, Fayette County, Virginia (now West Virginia). At 16, he began teaching in rural schools, working in coal mines to make ends meet. He moved to Texas in 1881, teaching in . . . — Map (db m97361) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8551 — St. John Catholic Church
On oldest church site in Terrell, which became a town when Texas & Pacific Railroad was built to this point in 1873. The Rt. Rev. Claude-Marie Dubuis, Bishop of the Diocese, acquired the land on May 22, 1876. First church erected on site was . . . — Map (db m97317) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8555 — Terrell Elementary School
This location has been home to a school building for the students of the Terrell area since 1901. The site was selected to serve the children living north of the Texas and Pacific Railway tracks nearby. A two-story building named the North Primary . . . — Map (db m97362) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8556 — Terrell State Hospital
Authorized 1883 by Legislature of Texas. Designed by J. N. Preston and sons, Austin. Built by John M'Donald. Opened in 1885 under administration of Dr. D. R. Wallace, superintendent, who was an internationally recognized pioneer psychiatrist. . . . — Map (db m98115) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8557 — Terrell State Hospital Cemetery
Soon after the Terrell State Hospital opened in July 1885, a portion of the property was set aside for burial of patients who died while hospitalized. The first burial here occurred Oct. 22, 1885. The oldest gravestone is dated Jan. 19, 1888, but . . . — Map (db m98111) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8559 — Texas & Pacific Railroad Freight Depot
Founded in 1873, the town of Terrell was located on the route of the Texas & Pacific Railroad. Robert A. Terrell, for whom the town was named, was a surveyor and landowner in Kaufman County. Portions of land were given to the Texas & Pacific by the . . . — Map (db m97643) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8558 — Texas Midland Railroad
A northeast line of the Houston and Texas Central Railroad was built through this area in 1882. In 1892 it was purchased by Mrs. Hetty Green and later reorganized as the Texas Midland Railroad. Under the innovative leadership of her son Edward H. R. . . . — Map (db m97644) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 9417 — The American National Bank of Terrell
The city of Terrell was founded in 1873. C. M. Bivens, John H. Corley, and F. A. Waters opened a private bank here in 1875. In 1878, Asa Holt replaced Waters as one of the owners. Later the enterprise became the Bivens and Corley Bank and moved to . . . — Map (db m98116) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8522 — The Old Graveyard (Pioneer Cemetery)
This small historic cemetery, also called the "Irvine Family Cemetery," predates the establishment of Terrell by more than 20 years. The first burial was that of Robert Alexander, nephew of W.D. Irvine, in 1851. Now located within the city limits, . . . — Map (db m97645) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8560 — The R. L. Warren House
Unusual mansion built 1904 by prominent residents, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Lee Warren. Architect was J. E. Flanders, Dallas; Keith & Co., Kansas City, stencilled interiors. House has 18 rooms, including a formal reception hall, two large drawing . . . — Map (db m97949) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 8525 — The W. E. Henderson House
Built 1898 by William Ebenezer Henderson (1847-1944), who moved from Louisiana to Texas (1862) in an ox-drawn barouche. Going to work at 19 for a cattleman, he became in time a prosperous commission dealer — shipping cattle to St. Louis, where . . . — Map (db m97770) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 9424 — Victorian Residence, 1883
Built by third generation Texan, Matthew Cartwright (1855-1925), rancher, banker, civic leader; married Mary Cynthia Davenport. Had ten children. Entertained artists, statesmen in this house. One of first large homes in Terrell; enlarged 1893. . . . — Map (db m97955) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 13855 — Walter P. and Meck Allen House
In 1893, Rusk County native Walter Payne Allen (1870-1943) wed America "Meck" Peyroux Cartwright (1874-1959), a native of San Augustine. A banker, Walter was an organizer and later president of American National Bank. He served as city alderman and . . . — Map (db m97987) HM
Texas (Kaufman County), Terrell — 9423 — William Henry Burnett (1872 - 1944)
In the 1880s Presbyterian missionary Alexander R. Wilson began conducting school in the rural South Prong community of Ellis County. One of his pupils was a promising black farm boy named William Henry Burnett. Through Wilson's personal guidance, . . . — Map (db m97646) HM

92 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement