Started in 1850's by Raleigh Gentry, who built a 2-room log house; cleared a small farm, but in 1862 sold out to cattlemen Rance Moore. 1860's settlers included Wm. and Lane Gibson, Charlie Jones, John New, A. J. Nixon, Billie Waites.
Others . . . — — Map (db m126199) HM
Brambletye was built between 1895 and 1900 by English immigrant William Hall (b. 1833), who came to Texas in 1888. After Hall's death in 1900, the stone house and surrounding ranchland were owned by several early ranch families. Prominently sited on . . . — — Map (db m126197) HM
Burt M. Fleming
Son of J.S. Fleming & Wife
Born April 15, 1894 Volunteered in
the United States Army May 26, 1918.
Assigned to Company G 143rd
Infantry of the 36th Division.
Was stationed at Ft. Worth Texas
until July 3, 1918. Was . . . — — Map (db m102532) WM
In 1764 King Charles III of Spain ordered the Marques de Rubi, a Spanish army field marshal, to tour and inspect all presidios in New Spain.
Rubi arrived in Mexico in February 1766, and was joined by Nicolas de Lafora, engineer and mapmaker. . . . — — Map (db m90818) HM
County seat of Kimble County. Townsite platted 1876 (year of county organization) as "Denman" Soon had named changed by voters to denote site at confluence of North and South Llano Rivers. Growth was steady. By 1882 had 300 people, a courthouse, . . . — — Map (db m126775) HM
Opened 1866 by Nick and Jennie (Blackwell) Coalson, who moved from Menard area. Stockraising and hunting provided livelihood. Their "bacon" was cured bear meat.
Indians often stole horses, and in Dec. 1870 attacked cabin when Coalson and . . . — — Map (db m126205) HM
Coke R. Stevenson
Strong resourceful conservative governor. Placed Texas on a cash basis with no increase in taxes nor curtailment of services to the people - changing a $34,000,000 deficit to a $35,000,000 surplus. Lifetime . . . — — Map (db m102799) HM
Colonel John Griffith
Confederate officer in Civil War. Learned at War’s end that women and children of family had fled from Arkansas to Texas in open wagon drawn by a milch cow and a one-eyed mule. The missing were found in 1866, as . . . — — Map (db m102800) HM
Fight of Sheriff’s Posse with Cattle Rustlers
(Site marked on Rust Ranch, 21 Mi. NW)
On Feb. 6, 1897, Sheriff John L. Jones and Deputies T.C. Taylor, Oscar Lattat, John Gardner, T.W. Frazier and Bob Owens found Jim and Jourd Nite (brothers) and . . . — — Map (db m102801) HM
Held in spring of 1876, under a live oak tree that had a hive of wild bees in its trunk. The site, "Old Kimbleville," had been suggested as the county seat. District Judge W. A. Blackburn, of Burnet, arrived by horseback. District attorney was Frank . . . — — Map (db m136240) HM
Henry and Adam Murr, born in Lancaster County, Pa. sons of Mr. and Mrs. John Murr, served 1866-1882 and 1877-1882, respectively, in the United States Army. After his honorable discharge at Fort McKavett (28 mi NW), Henry settled here on Bear Creek; . . . — — Map (db m126201) HM
Across the street, south, was the first building erected to house the Junction post office.
Junction's first postmaster, Mrs. Harriet Kountz, appointed 1876, at first kept the mail in her home. In 1879, her husband Dr. Ezekiel Kountz, built a . . . — — Map (db m126776) HM
Killed on this spot by Indians on Christmas Eve, 1876. He was 16 years old, and herding sheep for his father, Dr. E.K. Kountz.
A brother, Sebastian, aged 11, escaped. A posse and Texas Rangers chased the Indians to the Guadalupe River.
. . . — — Map (db m90733) HM
John Sterling Durst
The son of pioneer Texans, John Sterling Durst (1841-1924) was born in Leon County. After service in the Confederate Army a sermon moved him to join the Church of Christ Ministry. When the Rev. Durst bought a . . . — — Map (db m102798) HM
Early History Of
Created in 1858 out of Bexar County, Kimble County was attached temporarily to Gillespie County for judicial purposes. It was named for Lt. George C Kimble slain March 6, 1836, in the siege of the Alamo. The . . . — — Map (db m102796) HM
Jumano and Apache Indians inhabited region when Spanish explorers traveled across it in the 17th and 18th centuries, and were displaced by the Comanche tribe by the mid-19th century. Area was under military jurisdiction of Forts Terrett . . . — — Map (db m126778) HM
Kimble County Courthouse
The third courthouse to serve Kimble County, this structure was designed by San Antonio Architect Henry Truman Phelps (1871 - 1944). Between 1904 and the early 1930s, Phelps designed courthouses in more than ten Texas . . . — — Map (db m102795) HM
A Grateful County
Holds These Names
In Honored Memory
They Gave Their Lives
For Our Own Way Of Life
God Grant Them Eternal Rest
Edmund Brinkolf · Dave Cowsert · Burt M. Fleming · Julius Leifeste · . . . — — Map (db m102531) WM
Born in Tennessee in 1840, William Addison Spencer came to Texas with his family at the age of eight. He grew up southeast of San Antonio and served in the Civil War, attaining the rank of major. He later moved west to this area. He wed Caroline . . . — — Map (db m102797) HM
350 yards southwest stands a small rock house built in 1881 by settler Meliton Morales (1837-1924).
Born in Mexico, Morales was kidnapped by Indians as a youth and spent 9 years in captivity.
Moved to Texas in 1855. Came . . . — — Map (db m126203) HM
Author, attorney and politician Ovie Clark Fisher (1903-1994) was born at the Kimble County ranch home of his parents, Jobe and Rhoda (Clark) Fisher. He graduated from Junction High School and received a law degree from Baylor University. He married . . . — — Map (db m126782) HM
Established October 1877 as patrol base for Co. E, Frontier Battalion, Texas Rangers, on the lookout for Indians and outlaws along the Llano River. Area was popular refuge for cattle and horse thieves, murderers, mail robbers—and within a few . . . — — Map (db m90817) HM
Built for general merchandise of G. W. Ragsdill, who owned and operated a nearby hotel and wagon yard.
Later used for many other businesses. The top floor has been hall for W.O.W., A.F.& A. M. and I.O.O.F. Lodges, and in 1912 a movie. . . . — — Map (db m126780) HM
Busiest spot in early Junction. Fed and housed visiting ranch teams. Had horses and buggies for public hire. Men collected here to gossip, trade.
Built 1879 by John Allen on this lot where public corral operated as early as 1877. Owned by T. M. . . . — — Map (db m126781) HM
Most direct road from San Antonio to Santa Fe, during Spanish era in Texas, 1519-1821. Charted for closer ties between Mexico City and New Mexico, after American explorer Zebulon Pike blazed trail from U.S. to New Mexico. Spanish road of 1808 was . . . — — Map (db m56492) HM
Named for its peculiar formation. Probably used as a lookout post by both whites and Indians in pioneer days. Near here occurred the Indian killing of pioneer James Bradberry, Sr., 1872; and the capture of a wanted man by Lt. N.O. Reynolds and four . . . — — Map (db m56631) HM
This Kimble County landmark was named for a nearby canyon from which trees were cut for telegraph poles in the mid-19th century. The store and post office were built about 1890-1900. The first commissioned postmistress was Ruth Holmes in 1900. For . . . — — Map (db m54845) HM
On Dec. 24, 1876, a band of Indians killed Sam Speer, only 17 years of age, who was driving in horses near here. A 50-caliber gun his brother was using failed to fire. This was the last Indian murder in Kimble County. Speer is buried in the North . . . — — Map (db m136241) HM
One of earliest Kimble County communities. Opened by James Bradbury, Sr., a frontiersman. Between 1850 and 1864 he moved here from Williamson County with six children, after death of his wife. He erected several picket or log buildings, and had . . . — — Map (db m90735) HM
Once used for revivals, this Llano River crossing became a main line of the spring cattle drives from 1867 to the 1880s. Capt. C.A. Schreiner and his partners herded cattle on their way to Abilene and Dodge City on the western trail; many area . . . — — Map (db m90882) HM
From nearby Ft. Terrett, this Road in 1852 led south to Ft. Clark and north to Ft. McKavett.
Selected mainly because it had water available, it served as route for freight and mail, 1868, when forts were reactivated. Over it went troops, . . . — — Map (db m102793) HM
The community of Roosevelt began with the establishment of a post office in 1898. Although Alice Wagner applied for the post office with another name, the postal service in Washington substituted the name Roosevelt presumably in honor of Theodore . . . — — Map (db m128103) HM
Supply line from U.S. Army headquarters in San Antonio to Fort Terrett, 1852-1854.
In the 1850's two-thirds of Texas was held by Comanches or threatened by raids. Posts such as Fort Terrett stood from Red River to the Rio Grande, for . . . — — Map (db m126209) HM