Polish immigrant Joseph Cotulla (1844-1923) migrated to present-day La Salle County in 1865. The town of Cotulla, founded in 1882, became the county seat in 1883, and Joseph donated land for the courthouse and city park. In its early years the . . . — — Map (db m118700) HM
On September 4, 1884, the Rev. W. W. Killough, a visiting pastor, established this Presbyterian congregation. Members worshiped in the Methodist and Baptist churches before erecting their own church building in 1891, during the ministry of the . . . — — Map (db m118732) HM
The Presidio Rio Grande Road brought travelers to this area for centuries. In 1852 the U. S. Army built and garrisoned Fort Ewell, for protection. The first permanent settler, William A. Waugh, opened a rancho near the Cibolo Crossing on the . . . — — Map (db m117590) HM
For many years, water scarcity stunted settlements in La Salle County. Wells and windmills failed to solve the problem. In 1910, Joseph Cotulla explored and brought in artesian water from a depth of 2200 feet. Situated on his own ranch, the well . . . — — Map (db m118751) HM
In 1881, when the International & Great Northern Railroads pushed through South Texas, rancher Joseph Cotulla offered part of his homestead in exchange for running the track through his property.
He platted a town site with a central plaza and a . . . — — Map (db m118745) HM
The first Protestant church in Cotulla, this congregation was organized in 1881 as the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
The first services were held in the home of John Freeman by the Rev. W. H. Keck.
In 1883 the members built a frame . . . — — Map (db m118734) HM
The Old San Antonio Road, popularly known as El Camino Real, is one of the state’s oldest and most significant of the trans-Texas routes and most famous of the early historic trails.
Camino Real (royal road), variously known as the King’s . . . — — Map (db m118754) HM