Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lamar County Texas Historical Markers

 
Smiley-Woodfin Native Prairie Grassland Marker (<i>wide view</i>) image, Touch for more information
By Cosmos Mariner, May 13, 2016
Smiley-Woodfin Native Prairie Grassland Marker (wide view)
Texas (Lamar County), Brookston — 8227 — Smiley-Woodfin Native Prairie Grassland
This meadow, approximately 2100 acres, is the largest section of native grassland existing in Texas. It was originally part of a prairie system that stretched throughout the Midwestern United States and into Canada. Since the earliest settlers . . . — Map (db m128330) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8182 — Atkinson-Morris House
Built about 1890 by Jethro D. Atkinson, bank director and owner of Paris' first shoe store. Bought 1910 by social leaders, Dr. Eugene Felder Morris and wife Elizabeth. A fine example of Victorian style prevailing here before the great 1916 Paris . . . — Map (db m128265) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8188 — Central National Road of the Republic of Texas
Designed as a military highway, intended to make linkage with United States military road built to the north of the Red River in the 1820s. This was part of the national effort of Republic of Texas to open a good road system. Congress in 1839 . . . — Map (db m96917) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8189 — Central Presbyterian Church
This congregation, established during the Republic of Texas period, was organized as the First Cumberland Presbyterian Church on November 4, 1844, by the Rev. Samuel J. Corley, a circuit-riding minister. The first church building was erected in . . . — Map (db m128245) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 17580 — Evergreen Cemetery
The Evergreen Cemetery is the final resting place for many notable citizens of Paris and Lamar County. Due to the steady growth of the area, the old cemetery of Paris, located near the center of town, quickly became too small. In 1866, the Evergreen . . . — Map (db m111857) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 13063 — First Baptist Church of Paris
In 1854, the Rev. Willis M. Pickett and six charter members formed the Union Baptist Church of Paris. Remaining in its original location, the church grew dramatically, eventually becoming First Baptist Church. Many prominent Baptist leaders have . . . — Map (db m110810) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8195 — First National Bank of Paris
Organized and opened for business at its present location in 1886 by William J. McDonald (1844-1926), Civil War veteran and lawyer. Earlier he had opened the Citizens Bank of Clarksville and in 1889 he established a Delta County Bank. Under his . . . — Map (db m97619) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8197 — First Presbyterian Church
Organized 1861 by the Rev. John Anderson. Odd Fellows Seminary and a downtown shop were sites of early worship. Congregation built first sanctuary in 1874. Architects for this church (built 1891) were L. B. Volk and Son. Contractor: W. R. Eubanks. . . . — Map (db m128282) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 12008 — John James Culbertson (March 16, 1853 - September 27, 1932)
Born in Cincinnati, Ohio, John James Culbertson grew up in large northeastern cities. He married Emily Lou Lee of New Jersey in 1882 and soon became a salesman for a cotton product company based in Alabama. During his southern travels, . . . — Map (db m97618) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8190 — John S. Chisum (1824-1884)
Burial Site of John S. Chisum (1824-1884) Cattle baron whose herds, moving from east to west Texas and into New Mexico, expanded into one of the greatest cattle spreads in the west.

Coming from Tennessee to Paris, . . . — Map (db m128834) HM

Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8207 — Judge Wm. Henry Lightfoot House
Built 1876 by Judge Wm. Henry Lightfoot, veteran of Forrest's Cavalry in Civil War; law partner of Gen. (and U. S. Senator) Sam B. Maxey.

Lumber was hauled from Jefferson. Has square nails. Wide board pine floors are pegged. Water . . . — Map (db m128833) HM

Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8204 — Lamar County
Created December 17, 1840 from Red River County Organized in 1841 Named in honor of Mirabeau B. Lamar, 1798 – 1859 Father of Texas education President of the Republic of Texas 1838 – 1841 Lafayette, 1841 . . . — Map (db m96841) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 12313 — Lamar County Courthouse
The March 1916 fire that left downtown Paris in ruins ravaged Lamar County's massive 1897 Romanesque courthouse and tower, once thought indestructible. On April 20, 1916, the Lamar County Commissioners Court chose local designers and builders . . . — Map (db m97623) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8205 — Lamar County, C. S. A.
On uneasy border of Indian Territory in the Civil War. A military transport center, on the Old Central National Road surveyed in 1844 by the Republic of Texas, to run from San Antonio, crossing Red River north of Paris. A rich farming area. Lamar . . . — Map (db m97621) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 12012 — Lightfoot - Coleman House
Alabama native Henry William Lightfoot a Confederate veteran of Forrest's Cavalry, came to Paris in 1872 as a law partner of Sam Bell Maxey. Two years later, he married Maxey's adopted daughter, Dora Rowel Maxey, and soon the young couple had this . . . — Map (db m128529) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8210 — McCuistion Home
Built 1858 as a story and a half home by early doctor, A.S.Johnson. Remodeled 1907. Occupied in 1916 by Dr. L.P. McCuistion (1869-1947), 57 years a physician, who founded the Sanitarium of Paris in 1914 and led in development of . . . — Map (db m128048) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8213 — Old Cemetery of Paris
The old city cemetery is located on land once owned by George Washington Wright (1809-1877), founder of the city of Paris. The oldest grave here is said to be that of a free black man who worked for Wright. Although the stone is . . . — Map (db m128497) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8214 — Paris
This site marks the first call for survey of the city of Paris, Republic of Texas, 1844. Geo. W. Wright, early settler, soldier in Texas War for Independence, congressman of the Republic, donated 50 acres of land for Lamar County Seat. Plat of lots, . . . — Map (db m97626) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 17903 — Paris Cotton Compress
In the early 1880s, cotton began to dominate Texas agriculture as a principal cash crop, with over two million cultivated acres producing 800,000 bales of cotton per year. With the 1876 arrival of the first railroad line to Paris, local businessmen . . . — Map (db m96687) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8217 — Paris Fire Department
Fire protection in Paris dates to the early 1870s, when a group of businessmen led by Willet Babcock organized a volunteer fire company. Known as Phoenix Fire Company No. 1, the volunteer unit continued in operation until the city created a paid . . . — Map (db m96913) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8218 — Paris Lodge No. 27, A.F. & A.M.
The 1845 charter establishing Paris Lodge No. 27 was the last charter issued by the Grand Lodge of Texas during the Republic of Texas period. The Lodge was organized by George W. Wright, founder of Paris, as a refuge for transient immigrant Masons. . . . — Map (db m110845) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8219 — Paris Public Schools
Although attempts to provide a public school system in Paris were made as early as 1877, it was not until 1884 that the system as it is known today was organized. Under the strong leadership of Mayor John C. Gibbons, W.B. Aikin, E.L. Dohoney, and . . . — Map (db m110812) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8221 — Providence Baptist Church
This small rural church was organized in 1868 by John A. Fuller with about twelve members. Early worship services were held at the Methodist church building and in local schoolhouse. Joseph Givens, for whom the surrounding community was named, . . . — Map (db m128046) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8185 — Robert Cooke Buckner (January 3, 1833 - April 9, 1919)
Outstanding Baptist Minister. Born in Tennessee, he moved to Texas 1859, and became pastor of this congregation in 1861. A new church building was erected here, and through his guidance, the congregation grew. First Baptist “Ladies . . . — Map (db m110808) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8209 — Sam Bell Maxey
Home of Sam Bell Maxey Native Kentuckian, West Point graduate, brevetted for gallantry in Mexican war, district attorney from Lamar County, Major General C. S. A. in Tennessee and Mississippi campaigns, commander of Indian Territory . . . — Map (db m128204) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8203 — Site of Lafayette
First county seat of Lamar County A clapboard courthouse was built by John Lovejoy on 40 acres donated by John Watson Here court was held June, 1841 to June, 1843 John A. Rutherford, Chief Justice; John R. Craddock County . . . — Map (db m110614) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8223 — St. Joseph's Hospital
In 1911 the Catholic bishop of Dallas, Joseph Patrick Lynch (1872-1954), beseeched the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word to administer St. Joseph's Infirmary in Paris. The congregation, based in San Antonio and experienced in hospital care, . . . — Map (db m97599) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8224 — St. Paul Baptist Church
Organized 1867; one of founding churches (1872), Zion District Baptist Association. Original pastor, the Rev. Elisha Barnes (1811-95), served 20 years, led congregation to build (about 1876) its first church. The Rev. C. N. Hampton, . . . — Map (db m128280) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 8216 — The Paris Fire, 1916
Although Paris was founded in the mid-1840s, many of its historic structures were lost in a fire that destroyed almost half the town in 1916. The blaze started about five o'clock on the afternoon of March 21, 1916, at the S. J. Long Warehouse near . . . — Map (db m97609) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 13023 — Travis Clack Henderson
One of eight children, Travis Clack Henderson was born in Alabama on June 24, 1836 to John Henry and Minerva Bernard Henderson. In 1856, he moved to Paris, Texas, and established himself as a farmer. He joined the local militia in 1860. During the . . . — Map (db m112218) HM
Texas (Lamar County), Paris — 13688 — Union Station
Attempts to bring rail service to Lamar County began in the mid-1800s, but a line did not reach the city of Paris until one was built to the south side of town in 1875. Residents raised money to entice the St. Louis & San Francisco (Frisco) to . . . — Map (db m96916) HM

31 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement