Before white men entered this region in late 19th century, nomadic Apache, Comanche, and Kiowa Indians followed the buffalo from water hole to water hole. A favorite Indian camp was at a spring (5 miles w), near which the Springlake . . . — — Map (db m104454) HM
Dug by hand in 1902 for crops, cattle, and household use of Ewing Halsell (1877-1965), son of land promoter and settler W. E. Halsell. An irrigation ditch carried water half a mile to headquarters of Halsell's "Mashed O" Ranch. Six . . . — — Map (db m104435) HM
Indian camp and watering place extensively used in hunting buffalo. Became cattle territory in 1882 when Tom Lynch drove his herds from New Mexico.
After acquisition by the Capitol Syndicate this became headquarters of largest division of the . . . — — Map (db m104434) HM
Opened 1908 as one-room school, Springlake became an independent district in 1924 when Halsell ranch land was sold to settlers and local population increased. Enlarged school opened 1925 in new $30,000 brick structure on site bought from J. F. . . . — — Map (db m104457) HM
In 1903, the Rev. J.W. Winn, a missionary with the Staked Plains Missionary Baptist Association, led a meeting at a farmhouse northeast of what became Olton. That day, the first Missionary Baptist Church in Lamb County was organized. The members . . . — — Map (db m104459) HM
When the Soash Land Company founded Olton in 1908, lots were provided for a school, church and bank. Residents of the new town erected a Union church for all denominations about 1909. Soon afterward, they purchased this 950-pound steel bell. Its . . . — — Map (db m104460) HM
Created in 1876, Lamb County was unorganized until it could muster 21 qualified voters, 1908. Citizens donated labor for first 9-room frame courthouse, which served until it burned in 1922.
First county officials were: Judge H. R. Miller; . . . — — Map (db m104521) HM
This burial ground served the original residents of Springlake Community. The area was opened for settlement in 1908 by the George C. Wright Land Company. It was named for the nearby Springlake Ranch. D. B. Shiplet donated the first two acres for . . . — — Map (db m104458) HM