Jan. 1, 1863 --- Jan. 1, 1914
In commemorating the 50th anniversary of the capture of Galveston by the Southern Confederacy. Gen. Arthur P. Bagby commanding the "Neptune."
Banners may be furled but heroism lives forever.
Capt. J. T. . . . — — Map (db m128143) HM WM
Native Alabamian, last surviving member
of West Point class of 1852, lawyer,
Colonel in 7th Texas Confederate Cavalry,
participant in Sibley's New Mexico campaign,
commanded volunteer land troops on
board Confederate ship Neptune during . . . — — Map (db m132425) HM
Methodist circuit riders under the stewardship of John W. DeVilbiss and Henderson D. Palmer served this area as early as 1842. This congregation traces its origin to a Methodist society established by eleven charter members in 1851. Early services . . . — — Map (db m132428) HM
Oldest bank in Lavaca County; has operated in this city block continuously since its establishment by Friench Simpson (1848-1923) and Carey Shaw (1854-1944), former employees of the J. H. Simpson Bank, Columbus. Shaw was also one of the original . . . — — Map (db m128141) HM
Born Tennessee. Legislator. Went to
Missouri 1853. Indian agent Kansas
Territory. Kansas representative U.S.
Congress 1854-57. Moved Texas before
Civil War. Organized Lavaca County
company for C.S.A. 1861. Led 4th . . . — — Map (db m132426) HM
County Seat, Lavaca County
Named for Mrs. Margaret Hallett, widow of John Hallett, a member of Austin's colony and a veteran of San Jacinto, who donated the town site. — — Map (db m95361) HM
Land originally property of Mrs. Mary Jane Hallet Ballard, who deeded it to trustees of the "Hallettsville Graveyard" in 1870. Area pioneers were buried here until 1898. The monument in center honors county's heroes in battles of the Alamo, Goliad, . . . — — Map (db m95362) HM
Fifth structure to serve as seat of justice for Lavaca, created originally as "La Baca", a judicial county, by Congress of Republic of Texas in 1842. Declared unconstitutional along with other judicial counties, it was created anew by First . . . — — Map (db m128140) HM
William Ponton, Ponton's Creek, May 1834
O'Dougherty Family: Father and three
children, and John Douglas Family
Father, Mother and two children, Clark's
Creek, March 4, 1836. John Hibbens and
George Creath, Rocky Creek, March 1836 . . . — — Map (db m132427) HM
Edward M. Rabb (1855-1908) a native of La Grange, Fayette County, Texas, was the son of William and Prudence Smalley Rabb. In the 1880s Dr. Edward M. Rabb settled in this area and purchased 2089 acres of land from S. W. Campbell.
At his death, . . . — — Map (db m128142) HM
The San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway Company (S. A. & A. P.) was chartered by the State of Texas in 1884 to connect the city of San Antonio with Aransas Bay, and the rail line officially came to Hallettsville on April 23, 1887. A large . . . — — Map (db m95371) HM
A native of Virginia, William Smothers was orphaned at 12 when Indians killed his father, and his mother died of shock. In the American Revolution, he fought at King's Mountain, Guilford Courthouse, Camden, and Eutaw Springs. He moved to Kentucky in . . . — — Map (db m95372) HM
The Methodist Episcopal Church, South, of Shiner, Texas, was organized on November 1, 1887, in the office of L. P. Amsler, Shiner's first mayor. The Rev. C. C. Armstrong presided over the first service.
In 1889 local rancher David Kokernot . . . — — Map (db m128138) HM
The community of Half Moon was first mentioned in a 1689 account from Gov. Alonso de Leon's expedition when the group encountered a Native American tribe that called Half Moon their home. The area was known as Half Moon due to the peculiar shape of . . . — — Map (db m68496) HM
This Greek revival home (200 yds. N) was built in the 1880s by George Herder (1818-1887), veteran of the Texas Revolution and pioneer farmer and rancher in the Half Moon community. A son, William (d. 1940), later ran a butcher shop and farmed the . . . — — Map (db m68497) HM
Founded as outgrowth of an 1895 invention that used smooth wire discarded when barbed wire fencing was introduced in this area. August Kaspar, son of a Swiss Lutheran missionary to Texas, salvaged some of the plain wire and made a corn shuck basket . . . — — Map (db m95435) HM
The first Catholic school in Shiner was built in 1896 by Scherbohm and Mewes, contractors. The two story French style frame building housed two classrooms, a dining room and kitchen on the first floor, and a residence for the Sisters on the second . . . — — Map (db m128137) HM
Early German and Czech settlers in this area of Lavaca County attended Catholic worship services in private homes or at churches in Hallettsville or Moulton until 1890, when a new mission was established in Shiner by the Rev. John Anthony Forest. . . . — — Map (db m95442) HM
Sarah Howard suffered much at the savagery of the Texas wilderness. Born in Illinois, Sarah came to Texas with her husband, John McSherry, in 1828. The next year, John was killed near their home by Indians. Sarah later married John Hibbens, but . . . — — Map (db m128139) HM
Built by the Shiner Brewing Association, a stock company of local men. Sold in April 1915 to Kosmas Spoetzl (1873-1950), native of Bavaria and former operator of a brewery in Cairo, Egypt.
This plant remained open in 1918-33 (Prohibition era), . . . — — Map (db m95436) HM
Chisholm Trail Memorial Park
The Chisholm Trail Memorial Park, originally known as Palmer Park, is re-dedicated to the memory of the Old Trail Drivers of the Yoakum-Bovine, Texas area who passed this way, 1867 – 1887.
In the Centennial . . . — — Map (db m125472) HM
Located on DeWitt-Lavaca County line on land granted by Mexico in 1835 to settler John May. Cattle gathering area for Chisholm Trail. With coming of San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad in 1887, became transportation center. Named for rail official . . . — — Map (db m125469) HM