Great thoroughfare of early Texas. Following ancient Indian and buffalo paths, sometimes on same course as 1691 "Trail of the Padres", stretches 1,000 miles from Saltillo, Mexico, to present Louisiana. Highway for explorers, traders, smugglers, . . . — — Map (db m135737) HM
Founded 1876, with thirteen charter members, under the direction of Rev. H. B. Burr and Rev. R. H. Byers.
Edifice designed and built in 1886 by the ruling elder, Frank Morris. Annex constructed in 1952. Oldest church building in Giddings in . . . — — Map (db m126748) HM
Built by August W. Schubert, 1879. Bought 1894 by Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod, to house a ministerial college, which closed prior to 1900. Sold to Baylis J. Fletcher, Lee County Treasurer and legislator. Presently owned by the Fletcher family. . . . — — Map (db m126747) HM
County named for beloved Confederate General Robert E. Lee
Led army of Northern Virginia which included famed Hood's Texas Brigade.
He said about them "I never ordered that brigade to hold a position that they did not . . . — — Map (db m126750) HM
In this grave rests James Goucher and five members of his family murdered by Indians November 26, 1836. With the true pioneering spirit he had opened the first road from San Felipe to the settlements on the Colorado, known for many years as . . . — — Map (db m84810) HM
Located on Old San Antonio Road, on land surveyed in 1821 as part of the original colony of Moses and Stephen F. Austin.
In 1854 became site of major settlement by Wend from northern Europe, led by Pastor Johann Kilian.
Had only school . . . — — Map (db m111932) HM
Designed by J. R. Gordon along lines similar to New York State Capitol and several buildings at Harvard University.
Classified as Richardsonian Romanesque style, after the famous Louisiana-born architect Henry H. Richardson.
Built by . . . — — Map (db m111930) HM
Milton Garrett York was born in East Texas (San Augustine County) on Sept. 5, 1843. After the death of his parents, Aaron and Ruth (Lucas) York, he went to live with an uncle in Arkansas. Milton returned to Texas about 1860 and briefly taught school . . . — — Map (db m126746) HM
Trilingual (Wendish-German-English) community founded 1854 by 588 Wends under leadership of the Rev. John Kilian. The Rev. Kilian (Evangelical Lutheran) named place Serbin because the Wends were descendants of Serbs.
A thriving town 1865-1890; . . . — — Map (db m84607) HM
With the assistance of pastors from neighboring communities, a Lutheran congregation was organized to serve the Lincoln community in April 1886. The Rev. Th. Wolfram arrived in 1887 to serve as St. John's first resident pastor. Ministers in the . . . — — Map (db m135701) HM