Platted 1917 by Thomas C. Spearman, Santa Fe Railway official. Named for railroad locating engineer, B. F. Booker. Town of La Kemp, Okla., (6 mi. north) moved here 1919. First train arrived July 4, 1919, official birthdate of Booker. Economy based . . . — — Map (db m93524) HM
Heart Cemetery has served the community of Booker since 1929. The town was platted in 1917 and named for B.F. Booker, a civil engineer for the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway, which extended their line through this area. The community consisted of . . . — — Map (db m93527) HM
Established about 1874, when used by the freighting firm of Ed Jones and Joe Plummer to haul tons of buffalo hides from their general store in Lipscomb County to Dodge City, Kansas.
Also, in its early days, this trail carried crucial supplies to . . . — — Map (db m93525) HM
The community of Darrouzett began in 1917 as a station along the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway. First named Lourwood, the early settlement was renamed by the rail company in honor of a Galveston-area legislator and attorney, J.L. Darrouzett. When . . . — — Map (db m93530) HM
This burial ground serves citizens near the northern tip of Texas at a site closer to capitals of six other states than it is to Austin. In 1901, area settlers established Ivanhoe, OK., eight miles to the north. That town moved two miles in 1909 to . . . — — Map (db m93537) HM
A gateway to Texas Panhandle's "Golden Spread". Founded as "Ivanhoe", on a site across state line, in Oklahoma. Town moved twice to locate on a railroad. Situated here in 1917, and renamed for Horace Follett, railroad surveyor.
Economy based on . . . — — Map (db m93536) HM
The Rev. Grant. L. Hayes, first Methodist circuit rider in this area, founded the Ivanhoe, Okla., church 3 miles to the north in 1902; the Stillwater Church, 6 miles east, in Texas in 1904. After Follett originated on the Santa Fe Railroad in 1917, . . . — — Map (db m93533) HM
Established by law in 1850 as intersection of 100° longitude and 36° 30' latitude, this point remained in dispute 79 years.
Of some nine surveys made to locate corner on ground, almost none coincided. Even so, three blocks were annexed to Texas . . . — — Map (db m93540) HM
Town platted, post office opened and first train arrived, 1887. Named for G. H. Higgins, wealthy railroad stockholder. Early cattle shipping point. Devastating tornado struck April 9, 1947. An estimated 45 were killed, 140 injured.
Ranching, . . . — — Map (db m55740) HM
Formed from Young and
Created, August 21, 1876
Organized June 6, 1887
Named in honor of
Abner S. Lipscomb, 1789-1856
Secretary of State
in President Lamar's cabinet
Member of the Constitutional
Convention, 1845 . . . — — Map (db m55738) HM
One of America's best loved humorists, whose stage act, gently mocking man's foibles, was highlighted by rope tricks learned here in his youth.
Born in Oklahoma. In 1898, threatened with discipline for pranks, he left school and came to Texas. . . . — — Map (db m55739) HM
The Texas Legislature created Lipscomb County in 1876, naming it for early Texas Statesman Abner Lipscomb. Approximately ten years later, J.W. Arthur settled in this vicinity and built a wood and sod structure that he used as a general store and . . . — — Map (db m129604) HM
Established in 1886 and organized the following year with Lipscomb as county seat, Lipscomb County was named for Abner S. Lipscomb, an associate justice of the Texas Supreme Court in the 1840s-1850s. A one-story wood frame building served as the . . . — — Map (db m93592) HM
Around 1886, the town of Lipscomb was established by J.H. Arthur who built a store and post office out of cottonwood logs. As more people moved to the area, the need for a school arose and, on July 16, 1887, a special meeting was called to organize . . . — — Map (db m93595) HM
Lipscomb Union Church has served the residents of this community since the early 1900s. J.W. Arthur established the town of Lipscomb in 1886, and by the next year it was the county seat. Lipscomb soon boasted several stores, a post office and a . . . — — Map (db m93593) HM
Established, 1886 by settlers hoping to benefit from proposed Santa Fe Railroad in Panhandle.
Post office was opened in 1886; Lipscomb Town Company sold land for $3 an acre in 1887. In first month, seven businesses started.
When county was . . . — — Map (db m93591) HM
Early homesteaders in Lipscomb County were Russians of German descent. These included Jacob M. and Amalia Koch, who were members of St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, established by the German Russian settlers in 1914. By 1916, the Koch family . . . — — Map (db m93614) HM