Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Live Oak County Texas Historical Markers

 
Birthplace of J. Frank Dobie Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, April 6, 2019
Birthplace of J. Frank Dobie Marker
Texas (Live Oak County), George West — Birthplace of J. Frank Dobie
Noted folklorist James Frank Dobie was born at the old Dobie Ranch near Lagarto in Live Oak County on September 26, 1888. Dobie was the eldest of six children born to Richard J. and Ella (Byler) Dobie and a descendant of ranchers and cattlemen. At . . . — Map (db m132237) HM
Texas (Live Oak County), George West — 6295 — City of George West
Founded 1913 by George Washington West, rancher and civic leader, who secured railroad route through Live Oak County and provided several municipal buildings and plots for others. Became county seat in 1919. Market and shipping point for cattle and . . . — Map (db m132236) HM
Texas (Live Oak County), George West — 3104 — Live Oak County
Created by legislature Feb. 2, 1856, and organized Aug. 4 with Oakville as county seat. Formed from San Patricio and Nueces Counties. Named for its Live Oak trees. County seat moved, 1919, to George West on railroad. Center for ranching, . . . — Map (db m131941) HM
Texas (Live Oak County), George West — 18833 — Thelma Laura Pugh-Lindholm (1898-1992)
A fourth-generation Texan, Thelma Pugh-Lindholm descended from Irish emigrants Thomas and Margaret (McCann) Pugh, who purchased from empresarios McMullen and McGloin in 1835 a Mexican league and labor of land across the Nueces River from present-day . . . — Map (db m132235) HM
Texas (Live Oak County), George West — 5623 — VFW and American Legion War Memorial
In memory of those who served, and gave their lives for freedom and defense of their country. — Map (db m132238) WM
Texas (Live Oak County), Whitsett — 5795 — Town of Whitsett
Situated on 1835 land grant of Mexico to John Houlihan. At this site in 1800's was water and a camp for cross-country drives of cattle, hogs. Town arose in 1913 when San Antonio, Uvalde & Gulf railroad was built here and post office opened. Named . . . — Map (db m43368) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement