Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Llano County Texas Historical Markers

 
C.S.A. Saltworks Marker, context photo image, Touch for more information
By Richard Denney, December 30, 2011
C.S.A. Saltworks Marker, context photo
Texas (Llano County), Buchanan — 9435 — C.S.A. Salt Works
Located between Tow Valley and Old Bluffton, 15 mi. NE. Since 1935 under Lake Buchanan. During Civil War made salt for table, meat preserving, diet of cavalry horses, tanning hides. A day's boiling in 100 iron 250-gallon kettles produced 20 to 30 . . . — Map (db m51150) HM
Texas (Llano County), Kingsland — 15150 — Antlers Hotel
The juncture of the Llano and Colorado Rivers has attracted visitors for millenia. European settlers, including Martin D. King, began moving to the area in the 19th century. King purchased land here in 1877, and it is for him that . . . — Map (db m78012) HM
Texas (Llano County), Kingsland — 9438 — Fisher - Miller - Grant
Stretches between Llano and Colorado Rivers westward almost to the Pecos. An 1842 grant of 3,800,000 acres from the Texas Republic, purchased in 1844 by the German Emigration Society. Commissioner General John O. Meusebach founded Fredericksburg in . . . — Map (db m31660) HM
Texas (Llano County), Kingsland — McKinley Coach
The McKinley Coach is the oldest rail car at The Antlers Hotel. Construction with square nails date it to the 1800’s. Coach/baggage combination cars were especially suited for shortline railroads such as the 7 mile long Rockdale, Sandow & . . . — Map (db m110806) HM
Texas (Llano County), Kingsland — The Antlers Caboose Rooms
The cabooses were built by the International Railway Car Company for the Norfolk & Western Railroad. Each weighs 54,000 pounds and went into service in 1969 (Red), 1970 (Green), and 1976 (Yellow). The three different heralds painted on the sides . . . — Map (db m110803) HM
Texas (Llano County), Llano — 9431 — Acme Dry Goods Building
Built in 1892 by Llano builder and stonemason John Goodman (1852-1935), this turn-of-the-century commercial row structure has housed a succession of dry goods merchants, including Mrs. Riley's Millinery, Carlton's Dry Goods, and a store operated by . . . — Map (db m89463) HM
Texas (Llano County), Llano — 9458 — Community of Valley Spring
O.C.J. Phillips, first settler, arrived in 1853. Whistleville combined with Bugscuffle to form Valley Spring, with post office established 1878.      This was birthplace of James Field Smathers (1888-1967), inventor of electric typewriter. — Map (db m91456) HM
Texas (Llano County), Llano — 9437 — Early Explorers in Llano County
By commission of the Governor of Spanish Texas, Bernardo de Miranda in 1756 examined Cerro del Almagre, a red ochre hill supposedly rich in silver. His party of 23 from San Antonio struck Honey Creek near here, then went to the junction of the Llano . . . — Map (db m20638) HM
Texas (Llano County), Llano — 9456 — Frank Teich(Sept. 22, 1856 - Jan. 27, 1939)
A native of Germany, Frank Teich studied under master German artists and sculptors before coming to the United States in 1878. By 1883 he was established in San Antonio as an accomplished stonemason and artist. His supervision of work on the . . . — Map (db m91584) HM
Texas (Llano County), Llano — 9446 — Llano County Courthouse
Designed by Austin architect A. O. Watson, this building is the fourth courthouse for Llano County. Work on the structure began in 1892 and was completed one year later. The contractors were J. A. and G. H. Wilson of Sulphur Springs. The courthouse . . . — Map (db m89190) HM
Texas (Llano County), Llano — 9447 — Llano County Granite Industry
Llano County's granite industry can be traced to 1888 when J. K. Finlay first polished a stone from his mill site and David Stewart opened a quarry south of Llano. Prominent sculptor Frank Teich leased a quarry from Stewart and established Teich . . . — Map (db m89329) HM
Texas (Llano County), Llano — 12034 — Llano Woman's Culture Club
Local music teacher Jennie Clopton (1861-1904) organized the Woman's Literary Society with 16 charter members in 1901. The club established a public library, first called Clopton Library for the club's founder. Other projects of the renamed Woman's . . . — Map (db m91018) HM
Texas (Llano County), Llano — 14653 — Nine Miles West is the Enchanted Rock
From its summit, in the fall of 1841 Captain John C. Hays while surrounded by Comanche Indians who cut him off from his ranging company, repulsed the whole band and inflicted upon them such heavy loss that they fled. — Map (db m71920) HM
Texas (Llano County), Llano — 9455 — Old Southern Hotel Building
J.W. Owen had this hotel building constructed about 1880. Stonemasons J.K. Finlay and John Goodman built the original two-story structure, which was a stagecoach stop. The third floor was added during the ownership of Col. W.A.H. Miller, who bought . . . — Map (db m90881) HM
Texas (Llano County), Llano — 9452 — Packsaddle Mountain
Two and one half miles east on the Packsaddle Mountain in a battle fought August 4, 1873 Captain J. R. Moss, Stephen B. Moss William B. Moss, Eli Lloyd Arch Martin, Pink Ayers E. D. Harrington and Robert Brown routed a band of Indians . . . — Map (db m20643) HM
Texas (Llano County), Llano — 12035 — Saint James Lutheran Church
Founded in 1897, St. Jakobi Evangelish Lutherisch Kirche was organized to serve German Lutherans in the growing community of Llano. Pastor Hugo Krienke, also serving churches in Mason and Leiningen, held German-language services first in Llano's . . . — Map (db m91615) HM
Texas (Llano County), Llano — 9448 — The Llano County Jail
This building was erected in 1895 by the Pauly Jail Building and Manufacturing Co. of St. Louis, Mo. The gray granite for the exterior was quarried in the county. The red roof of the Romanesque revival jail provided the building its nickname, and . . . — Map (db m89322) HM
Texas (Llano County), Oxford — 9451 — Oxford Cemetery(1/4 Mile East)
The Oxford community was founded in 1880 when Confederate veteran A.J. Johnson came to Llano County and laid out the townsite. In 1881, a burial ground was established near this site for the use of the families of Oxford. Burials date from 1883, . . . — Map (db m29843) HM

18 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement