On State Highway 29 at State Highway 261 on State Highway 29.
Located between Tow Valley and Old Bluffton, 15 mi. NE. Since 1935 under Lake Buchanan. During Civil War made salt for table, meat preserving, diet of cavalry horses, tanning hides. A day's boiling in 100 iron 250-gallon kettles produced 20 to 30 . . . — — Map (db m51150) HM
On Birch Lane 0.2 miles north of Brookwood Drive, on the left when traveling north.
Land here granted by the Republic of Texas to Ferdinand Lueders, Battle of San Jacinto veteran, was transferred in 1844 to the Rev. Adolph Fuchs (1805-1885) of Germany. Fuchs, a noted musician and composer, immigrated to Texas with his wife and 7 . . . — — Map (db m139971) HM
Near King Court at Pecan Street, on the right when traveling west.
The juncture of the Llano and Colorado
Rivers has attracted visitors for millenia.
European settlers, including Martin D. King,
began moving to the area in the 19th
century. King purchased land here in 1877,
and it is for him that . . . — — Map (db m78012) HM
On Ranch to Market Road 1431 0.2 miles north of Coldwell Boulevard (County Road 127), on the left when traveling north.
Stretches between Llano and Colorado Rivers westward almost to the Pecos. An 1842 grant of 3,800,000 acres from the Texas Republic, purchased in 1844 by the German Emigration Society. Commissioner General John O. Meusebach founded Fredericksburg in . . . — — Map (db m31660) HM
On King Court 0.1 miles west of East FM Road 1431, on the left when traveling west.
The McKinley Coach is the oldest rail car at The Antlers Hotel. Construction with square nails date it to the 1800’s. Coach/baggage combination cars were especially suited for shortline railroads such as the 7 mile long Rockdale, Sandow & . . . — — Map (db m110806) HM
On King Court at East FM Road 1431, on the right when traveling west on King Court.
The cabooses were built by the International Railway Car Company for the Norfolk & Western Railroad. Each weighs 54,000 pounds and went into service in 1969 (Red), 1970 (Green), and 1976 (Yellow). The three different heralds painted on the sides . . . — — Map (db m110803) HM
Built in 1892 by Llano builder and stonemason John Goodman (1852-1935), this turn-of-the-century commercial row structure has housed a succession of dry goods merchants, including Mrs. Riley's Millinery, Carlton's Dry Goods, and a store operated by . . . — — Map (db m89463) HM
On State Highway 71 0.1 miles south of Farm to Market Road 1659, on the right when traveling east.
O.C.J. Phillips, first settler, arrived in 1853. Whistleville combined with Bugscuffle to form Valley Spring, with post office established 1878.
This was birthplace of James Field Smathers (1888-1967), inventor of electric typewriter. — — Map (db m91456) HM
By commission of the Governor of Spanish Texas, Bernardo de Miranda in 1756 examined Cerro del Almagre, a red ochre hill supposedly rich in silver. His party of 23 from San Antonio struck Honey Creek near here, then went to the junction of the Llano . . . — — Map (db m20638) HM
On Ford Street (State Highway 16/71) at West Sandstone Street, on the left when traveling north on Ford Street.
A native of Germany, Frank Teich studied under master German artists and sculptors before coming to the United States in 1878. By 1883 he was established in San Antonio as an accomplished stonemason and artist. His supervision of work on the . . . — — Map (db m91584) HM
On Ford Street at West Main Street (County Route 152), on the right when traveling south on Ford Street.
Designed by Austin architect A. O. Watson, this building is the fourth courthouse for Llano County. Work on the structure began in 1892 and was completed one year later. The contractors were J. A. and G. H. Wilson of Sulphur Springs. The courthouse . . . — — Map (db m89190) HM
On Ford Street (State Highway 71) at East Haynie Street, on the right when traveling north on Ford Street.
Llano County's granite industry can be traced to 1888 when J. K. Finlay first polished a stone from his mill site and David Stewart opened a quarry south of Llano. Prominent sculptor Frank Teich leased a quarry from Stewart and established Teich . . . — — Map (db m89329) HM
On West Sandstone Street at Berry Street, on the right when traveling west on West Sandstone Street.
Local music teacher Jennie Clopton (1861-1904) organized the Woman's Literary Society with 16 charter members in 1901. The club established a public library, first called Clopton Library for the club's founder. Other projects of the renamed Woman's . . . — — Map (db m91018) HM
On Farm to Market Road 965 at Texas Highway 16, on the right when traveling west on Route 965.
From its summit, in the fall of 1841 Captain John C. Hays while surrounded by Comanche Indians who cut him off from his ranging company, repulsed the whole band and inflicted upon them such heavy loss that they fled. — — Map (db m71920) HM
On West Main Street (County Route 152) at Berry Street, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street.
J.W. Owen had this hotel building constructed about 1880. Stonemasons J.K. Finlay and John Goodman built the original two-story structure, which was a stagecoach stop. The third floor was added during the ownership of Col. W.A.H. Miller, who bought . . . — — Map (db m90881) HM
On State Highway 71, on the left when traveling east.
Two and one half miles east on the Packsaddle Mountain in a battle fought August 4, 1873 Captain J. R. Moss, Stephen B. Moss William B. Moss, Eli Lloyd Arch Martin, Pink Ayers E. D. Harrington and Robert Brown routed a band of Indians . . . — — Map (db m20643) HM
On Ford Street (State Highway 16/71) at West College Street, on the left when traveling north on Ford Street.
Founded in 1897, St. Jakobi Evangelish Lutherisch Kirche was organized to serve German Lutherans in the growing community of Llano. Pastor Hugo Krienke, also serving churches in Mason and Leiningen, held German-language services first in Llano's . . . — — Map (db m91615) HM
On Bessemer Avenue (State Highway 16) at West Haynie Street, on the right when traveling north on Bessemer Avenue.
Named for a former mayor of Llano, the Roy B. Inks Bridge was built in 1936 to carry State Highway 29 (now State Highway 16) over the Llano River. The Inks Bridge replaced an earlier 1892 truss bridge at this location, which had been swept away by a . . . — — Map (db m117825) HM
This building was erected in 1895 by the Pauly Jail Building and Manufacturing Co. of St. Louis, Mo. The gray granite for the exterior was quarried in the county. The red roof of the Romanesque revival jail provided the building its nickname, and . . . — — Map (db m89322) HM
On State Highway 16 at County Road 113, on the right when traveling north on State Highway 16.
The Oxford community was founded in 1880 when Confederate veteran A.J. Johnson came to Llano County and laid out the townsite. In 1881, a burial ground was established near this site for the use of the families of Oxford. Burials date from 1883, . . . — — Map (db m29843) HM