Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Medina County Texas Historical Markers

 
Alsatians of Texas Marker site at Houston Square image, Touch for more information
By William F Haenn, May 11, 2013
Alsatians of Texas Marker site at Houston Square
Texas (Medina County), Castroville — 131 — Alsatians of Texas
In 1842, Empresario Henry Castro brought his first colonists to Texas to settle land west of the Medina River. Most of the immigrants were from the Rhine River area of Europe. Many claimed the province of Alsace, on the border of France and Germany, . . . — Map (db m79054) HM
Texas (Medina County), Castroville — 1724 — First County Courthouse
Erected 1854; first permanent courthouse in Castroville, the first seat (1848-1892) of Medina County. When built, structure was on old road to San Antonio. This building took place of temporary office space which County Court had used 6 years. . . . — Map (db m130157) HM
Texas (Medina County), Castroville — 17849 — General Wool and the Chihuahua Road
In 1846, General John Ellis Wool amassed an army of 3,400 troops in San Antonio to invade Chihuahua, Mexico. Departing from Camp Crockett crossing the Medina River and passing through Castroville and Quihi, Wool’s plans changed after receiving . . . — Map (db m130158) HM
Texas (Medina County), Castroville — 2439 — Henri Castro(July 17, 1786 - November 3, 1865)
Henri Castro, a native of Bayonne, France, and the descendant of Portuguese nobility, served briefly in Napoleon's French Army. In 1813 he married Marie Amelia Mathias. He later immigrated to the United States and in 1827 became a naturalized U.S. . . . — Map (db m130159) HM
Texas (Medina County), Castroville — Landmark Inn Complex
These limestone structures along the Eagle Pass - San Antonio road at the Medina River ford were once centers of trade, travel, industry, and domestic life. Alsatian colonist Michel Simon settled here in 1844, followed by Caesar Monod, who built a . . . — Map (db m130395) HM
Texas (Medina County), Castroville — 3506 — Moye
Named for the Rev. John Martin Moye, founder (1762) of the Sisters of Divine Providence, religious order that opened school in Castroville in 1868, and built first part of this structure in 1873: first mother house of the order in the United . . . — Map (db m116588) HM
Texas (Medina County), Castroville — 4933 — Site of the Homestead of Henri Castro
Henri Castro (1786-1861), a naturalized American of French origin, befriended the Republic of Texas and became interested in settling here. In 1842 he was given authority to establish a colony of Europeans in Southwest Texas. He succeeded in . . . — Map (db m130155) HM
Texas (Medina County), Castroville — 5051 — St. Louis Catholic Church
Planned, according to tradition, by the Rev. Peter Richard, pastor who came from Loire, France, 1868. First (1847-51) resident pastor, the Most Rev. Claude Dubuis, returned as Bishop of Texas to lay cornerstone on July 2, 1868. Locally quarried . . . — Map (db m130396) HM
Texas (Medina County), Castroville — 5054 — St. Louis Day
Since as early as 1847 residents of Castroville have conducted a community holiday on or about the 25th of August--the Catholic observance of the Feast of St. Louis. Local tradition recalls that early processions escorted clergy from the priests' . . . — Map (db m79053) HM
Texas (Medina County), Castroville — Vance Hotel and Store
Constructed in 1849 with local limestone, mortar, and cypress lumber, this building includes elements of Alsatian domestic architecture found in Castroville. The 18-inch-thick walls were originally coated with a whitewashed lime plaster, while split . . . — Map (db m130394) HM
Texas (Medina County), Castroville — 12327 — Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church
Many of the German settlers who arrived here in the 1840s were Lutherans who kept their religious traditions by meeting for worship in their homes. The Rev. Christian Oefinger sailed from Bremen, Germany, arriving in Galveston. From there he made . . . — Map (db m130156) HM
Texas (Medina County), Devine — Charco de la Pita
Within one mile of this site was the famed camping place Charco de la Pita. It was located along the Old Pita Road, the first road in Texas. The Pita Road extended from the San Juan Bautista mission, some 25 miles down the Rio Grande from present . . . — Map (db m130397) HM
Texas (Medina County), Devine — 4997 — Spanish Exploration in Medina County
By 1531 Spain ruled present Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, half of South America, and much of the United States. The desire to claim new lands north of the Rio Grande led to continuous Spanish expeditions through present Texas during the . . . — Map (db m130162) HM
Texas (Medina County), D'Hanis — 12143 — D'Hanis
In 1847, Henri Castro established D'Hanis, his fourth colony, 1.5 miles east of this site. Named for a Castro Company official. Alsatian immigrants endured great hardship to build a community that thrived for over 30 years. In 1881, when the . . . — Map (db m117851) HM
Texas (Medina County), D'Hanis — 12357 — J.M. Koch's Hotel
J.M. and Mary Ann Koch owned and operated a hotel in D'Hanis beginning in 1898. They purchased the land on this site in July 1902, and built this hotel in 1906. Reportedly constructed by Chinese railroad laborers, it is built of early bricks from . . . — Map (db m64488) HM
Texas (Medina County), Hondo — 332 — Battle of the Arroyo Hondo
In 1842 the Mexican Army launched three invasions into Texas to reclaim territory lost during the Texas Revolution. Col. Rafael Vasquez's Army briefly occupied San Antonio in March, and in July Texans fought with Col. Antonio Canales' forces near . . . — Map (db m81867) HM
Texas (Medina County), Hondo — 12144 — Hondo
Spanish explorers passed this way several times in the centuries preceding Anglo settlement of the area. The original village that would become Hondo was situated on "El Arroyo Hondo," named by the Spanish. Permanent settlers to the area began . . . — Map (db m5779) HM
Texas (Medina County), Hondo — 2549 — Hondo Methodist Church
Early Methodist settlers in this area worshipped under a live oak tree on the banks of the Hondo Creek. The Methodists organized as a church in 1857 and held services in a log hut. A church/Masonic lodge was built on ten acres of land given to the . . . — Map (db m130152) HM
Texas (Medina County), Hondo — 16070 — Medina County
. . . — Map (db m130154) HM
Texas (Medina County), Hondo — 3313 — Medina County Courthouse
Medina County was organized in 1848 with Castroville as the county seat. In 1892, as the result of an election, the seat of county administration was relocated to Hondo City (now Hondo). The Commissioners Court immediately ordered a courthouse to be . . . — Map (db m5777) HM
Texas (Medina County), Hondo — Stephen F. Austin Memorial Oak Tree
This tree planted on April 15, 2004 was grown from an acorn harvested from the live oak tree located on the site of Stephen F. Austin's death near present-day West Columbia, Texas. Under that large tree, a Texas Historical Monument marks the place . . . — Map (db m5778) HM
Texas (Medina County), Hondo — 5639 — Vandenburg
Located on the banks of Verde Creek (Arroyo Verde), Vandenburg, founded in 1846, was one of the colonies established by Empresario Henri Castro. Immigrants settled nearby and began farming. They dug a trench eight feet wide by six feet deep to . . . — Map (db m79257) HM
Texas (Medina County), Quihi — 5537 — Town of Quihi
Surveyed in October, 1844 by Henri Castro 1781---1861 Distinguished pioneer and colonizer of Texas Established in March, 1845 by ten families in charge of Louis Huth, agent for Castro Many settlers were killed by . . . — Map (db m64185) HM

23 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement