The Vaughn Agricultural and Mechanical Canal Company was chartered in 1874 by William J. Vaughn, President; William Tipton, Director; and James H. Comstock, Director and Secretary. Major H.M. Holmes was appointed attorney.
Irrigation for 2,000 . . . — — Map (db m29619) HM
Name used by Spaniards of Presidio de San Saba (in existence from 1757 to 1770) for this stream now called Celery Creek.
Stone to build Presidio was quarried from bluffs along the creek, and deep banks let hostile Indians approach undiscovered, . . . — — Map (db m29590) HM
The final stone construction of the bastions (projecting fortifications) was similar to the presidio construction. The temporary adobe structure created immediately upon arrival was replaced later with stone. However, unlike the other presidio . . . — — Map (db m115922) HM
Located 21 miles west. Upon secession Confederate cavalry occupied this post to give protection against Indians. Early in 1862 this fort confined group of Union troops from surrendered U.S. forts who were . . . — — Map (db m115841) HM
Religious, Cultural and Historical Marker to Remember the Founding of the Santa Cruz de San Saba Mission
This historic Catholic church, built in 1899, has been designated as a religious, cultural and historical monument to remember . . . — — Map (db m115730) HM
Seeking a rail line to speed marketing of their livestock, residents of this area in 1909 asked the Ft. Worth & Rio Grande Railroad, a branch of the Frisco System, to extend track from Brady (40 mi. NE) to Menardville. Ranchers donated right of way, . . . — — Map (db m29941) HM
Some seven million head of cattle & horses went up the Great Western Trail from 1874 to 1893 from Mexico through nine U.S. states into Canada with major years being 1874 to 1886. This trail lasted more years, carried more cattle, and was longer than . . . — — Map (db m90952) HM
Some seven million head of cattle & horses went up the Great Western Trail from 1874 to 1893 from Mexico through nine U.S. states into Canada with major years being 1874 to 1886. This trail lasted more years, carried more cattle, and was longer than . . . — — Map (db m115840) HM
Menard County organized in 1871, and officials built the first courthouse in 1880 and a second in 1886. In 1930, in a close election, county residents approved a new jail and courthouse. Elmer G. Withers of the Fort Worth firm Withers and Thompson, . . . — — Map (db m115838) HM
In Memory of Those Who Died
They held in their keeping the safety of the republic. They kept alight the lamp of liberty. Their record of service to God and Country helped to preserve the American way of life. They lived and died so . . . — — Map (db m115836) WM
Was a General in the United States Marine Corps and a highly decorated combat veteran of World War II and the Korean War. He is most noted for commanding the 1st Marine Division in Korea during the Inchon invasion and the Battle of the Chosin . . . — — Map (db m115839) HM
Spot where in 1753 Juan Galvan, Spanish explorer, put up a huge cross, to show his choice of site for Mission San Saba. Indians gathered at the cross, remaining to participate in the first known Christian worship service in this area.
The . . . — — Map (db m29591) HM
Hourglass-shaped pass through the hills where McDougal Creek joins San Saba River. For years a favored Indian campground, it entered written history, 1732, as site of Spanish-Apache battle.
Saw passage of adventurers, mustang hunters, Indian . . . — — Map (db m72083) HM
Burial plot was begun by Adam Bradford, who buried his father, Jack Bradford, here in 1863. As the town and cemetery grew, the city bought the tract from Mrs. Gustav E. Schleicher in 1904.
Fence surrounding cemetery was built of stone from the . . . — — Map (db m115860) HM
Presidio de San Luis de las Amarillas was founded in April 1757 to protect the Mission Santa Cruz de San Sabá, established at the same time for the conversion of the Eastern Apaches. The Presidio (fort) and Mission were also intended to promote . . . — — Map (db m115710) HM
In 1732 the governor of Spanish Texas named the nearby river “San Sabá,” perhaps after St. Sabbás, a sixth-century monk. In 1757, soldiers built the Presidio San Luis de las Amarillas out of wood. By 1764, stone replaced wood and the . . . — — Map (db m115919) HM
Originally established on the San Gabriel River as the Presidio of San Francisco Xavier in 1751
Moved to the present site in 1757 as a protection to the Mission Santa Cruz de San Saba
Known as the Presidio de San Luis de Las Amarillas . . . — — Map (db m72032) HM
Today little of the original presidio remains standing; mostly lower wall sections and footings. The sides of the entrance gate and other large hand carved stones are also believed to be original elements. In 1937 the Texas Centennial Commission . . . — — Map (db m115921) HM
Roman Catholic worship services were held in Menard as early as 1872, when J.J. Callan set aside this lot of land for the construction of a Catholic church building. Visiting priests held occasional services in various homes and in the courthouse . . . — — Map (db m115731) HM
Established March 14, 1852 by the United States War Department as a protection to frontier settlers against hostile Indians. Named in honor of Captain Henry McKavett, who fell at the Battle of Monterey, September 21, 1846. Evacuated by federal . . . — — Map (db m29879) HM
Founded among the Lipan Apache Indians by Franciscan Missionaries in 1757 through the financial aid of the Count of Regla. - Sacked and left in ruins by the Comanches in 1758. - - Here perished Padres Alonso Giraldo de Terreros and José . . . — — Map (db m72301) HM
The Lafora Map
August 12, 1767
Early in 1766 the Marques de Rubi was commissioned by the Viceroy of Spain to make inspection of all the frontier settlements from Lower California to the Louisiana border. Accompanied by an engineer, . . . — — Map (db m115727) HM
The main building within the presidio was located close to the round bastion in the northwest corner, near the main road. It contained a courtyard and seven large rooms, including the captain’s quarters (the only two-story structure), a guardhouse . . . — — Map (db m115920) HM
Welcome to Menard, Texas
This scenic Central Texas town of 1,600 souls was established in 1858 along the banks of the San Saba River and has thrived modestly through the decades as a center of farming and ranching industry. It is . . . — — Map (db m115712) HM
Welcome to Menard, Texas
This scenic Central Texas town of 1,600 souls was established in 1858 along the banks of the San Saba River and has thrived modestly through the decades as a center of farming and . . . — — Map (db m115729) HM