Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Midland County Texas Historical Markers

 
Brown-Dorsey House Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
Brown-Dorsey House Marker
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 12152 — Brown-Dorsey House
Z. Taylor and Sara Brown moved their family to Midland in 1884. A rancher and merchant, Brown had this house built in 1899. Featuring carved wood details, an art glass window, and three fireplaces connected to a single chimney, the house is believed . . . — Map (db m86496) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 1551 — Fairview Cemetery
In use by May 31, 1885, 10-acre southeast corner of this tract was accepted as gift of Midland Town Co., by commissioners of newly organized Midland County in their first meeting on Aug. 10, 1885. Veterans of the Mexican War and Civil War are among . . . — Map (db m86396) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 13657 — First Baptist Church of Midland
The First Baptist Church of Midland began serving the city shortly after Midland's founding in 1885. That year, Baptists from Pecos, Big Spring and Midland agreed to hire the Rev. S.B. Callaway to serve the three congregations. Under his leadership, . . . — Map (db m86341) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 12153 — First Christian Church of Midland
Chartered in 1890, the First Christian Church of Midland was organized by sixteen members who met in private homes until 1892. A tradition of service to the church and community began when charter member S. E. Townsend pledged $300 toward the first . . . — Map (db m86394) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 1952 — Former Site of Midland National Bank
Organized in Odessa on August 22, 1902, as Odessa National Bank, this institution began with an initial capital of $25,000. In June 1903 the shareholders voted to move the bank to Midland and rename it Midland National Bank. Bank offices were . . . — Map (db m86689) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — Forth Worth “Super D” Spudder
Manufactured By: Forth Worth Well Machinery & Supply Company, Forth Worth, Texas Dates of Manufacture: 1923 through the 1930's Maximum Drilling Depth: 3,000 to 3,200 feet Weight of Unit: 23,300 pounds Power Requirements: 45 – 85 . . . — Map (db m86694) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 13058 — George W. Bush Childhood Home
George Herbert Walker Bush and wife Barbara (Pierce) came to Texas in 1948, moving to Midland with son George Walker Bush in 1950. They bought this home in 1951 and while here faced the loss of daughter Robin and celebrated the birth of two sons. . . . — Map (db m86342) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 2815 — John Valentine Pliska Site (1904-1962) of blacksmith shop of (Dec. 6, 1878 – July 28, 1956)
Mechanical genius who made and flew first locally-owned aircraft. Born in Austria, Pliska came with parents to Texas, and after 1903 followed blacksmith trade in Midland. He built (1912) and flew at intervals up to 15 minutes an aeroplane of his own . . . — Map (db m86497) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — Keystone No. 5 ½ Traction Joplin Special Spudder
Manufactured By: Keystone Driller Company, Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania Dates of Manufacture: Mid-1920's – circa 1930 Maximum Drilling Depth: 1,000 feet Weight of Unit: 23,100 pounds Power Requirements: 35 – 45 horsepower Unit is . . . — Map (db m86695) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 3206 — Marcy Trail
Plotted in 1849 by a U. S. Army surveying expedition under Capt. Randolph B. Marcy. Guided by Manuel, a Comanche Indian, Marcy crossed the dreaded Staked Plains of West Texas, proving their feasibility for travel, and opening a new and shorter road . . . — Map (db m86655) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 3360 — Midland & Northwestern Railroad Site of old roadbed
Standard gauge 66-mile line built by David Fasken, Sr., to carry cattle, ranch supplies, passengers. Operated 1916 to 1920—critical era of World War I and world starvation aftermath. Linked towns of Fasken, Florey, and Seminole with Texas . . . — Map (db m86338) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 3362 — Midland Christian College 2 blocks west to site of
A 2-year, coeducational college that functioned 1910-1921. H. R. Garrett was first president. Students rode horse-drawn bus to campus; edited yearbook, "The Sandstorm." Some 250 attended in 1917. Financial stress forced closure. The 3-story gray . . . — Map (db m86340) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — Midland County
Formed from Tom Green County. Created March 4, 1885 Organized March 25, 1885 Named for its location which is halfway between Ft. Worth and El Paso. County Seat Midland First named Midway — Map (db m86535) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 3363 — Midland County (Created and Organized, March 1885)
First known as the junction of many trails and site of the last Comanche raid into Texas. In 1881 the Texas and Pacific Railroad was built, equi-distant between El Paso and Fort Worth, this became known as Midland. First settler was a sheepman . . . — Map (db m86699) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 13403 — Midland County's First Producing Oil Well
The discovery of oil in the Permian Basin during the 1920s helped sustain the area economy during the Great Depression, and many oil and gas companies established headquarters in Midland. Not until the 1940s, though, did Midland County begin seeing . . . — Map (db m86534) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 3368 — Midland National Bank
Organized on August 22, 1902, in Odessa as Odessa National Bank, this institution began with an initial capital of $25, 000. Less than one year later the bank's shareholders voted to relocate to Midland and the institution became Midland National . . . — Map (db m86492) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 3369 — Midland's First House
Of concrete blocks, 1908. Western Ranch style. Home of Raymond and Edith Lawrence. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark—1965Map (db m86397) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — National Portable Drilling Machines Model #2 National #2 Cable Tool Rig
Manufacturer: National Supply Company, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Date of Manufacturer: Approximately 1910-12 Rated Depth: 2,500 feet National advertised this as “The Rig that Displaced The Old Standard (wooden) Derrick.” These . . . — Map (db m86692) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 14 — Site of “The Staked Plains”
First newspaper published in Midland County. Printed in 1885 in frame building once on this site. Copies were hand-set and hand-printed at rate of 5 per hour on old-style press. County court proceedings were printed at 75 per square inch. J. C. . . . — Map (db m86495) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 4832 — Site of Midland County's First Bank
First National Bank of Midland. Organized June 16, 1890. First officers were A. W. Hilliard, president; W.H. Cowden, vice president; and W. E. Connell, cashier. Its financial stability has saved its customers from ruin in the face of drouth or . . . — Map (db m86498) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — Star Spudder Model 45C
Manufactured by: Star Drilling Machine Company, Akron, Ohio Date manufactured: about 1930 Maximum depth: 5,000 feet Weight: 22,000 pounds This spudder, used in Breckenridge, Texas, area by Guy Ewing, has double walking beams. Heavy . . . — Map (db m86696) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 15180 — Texas Petroleum in World War II
The growing west Texas petroleum industry found itself destined to play a significant role during World War II. By the late 1930s an intrastate pipeline system moved crude oil east to refineries and shipping points. In 1940, Texas produced almost . . . — Map (db m86698) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — The Oil Patch An Exhibit of Antique Oil Field Equipment
There was great variety in the oil fields (the “oil patch”, if you will) of the 1920's and 1930's. Steam, gas, and electric powered drilling rigs, spudders and pulling machines, bandwheel pump units, and much more contributed to the . . . — Map (db m86690) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 5935 — The Yucca Theatre
Attracted by Midland's growing economy and the rapid development of the area's petroleum industry, T.S. Hogan announced plans for the construction of this facility in 1927. An oilman and former Montana senator, Hogan saw the need for a multi-purpose . . . — Map (db m86493) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 5664 — W. B. Anglin
A member, Company B, Frontier Battalion of Texas Rangers. Killed near here while trailing Comanche Indian raiding party on July 1, 1879. He was buried on the spot where he fell. A native of Virginia, member of one of its first families, he . . . — Map (db m86395) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 5665 — W. F. Scarborough Home, 1908
Ranch style architecture characteristic of west Texas cattlemen. Later enlarged. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1965Map (db m86533) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — Wichtex 18 Spudder
Manufacturer: Wichtex Machinery Co. Wichita Falls, Texas Date of Use: Unknown, probably late 1920's to 1950's Maximum Depth: 4,000 ft. Spudders were developed in the 1920's as easily moved and set up cable tool drilling machines. Modern . . . — Map (db m86691) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — Wichtex 66 Spudder
Manufacturer: The Wichtex Machinery Co. Wichita Falls, Texas Date of Use: Unknown, probably late 1920's to early 1950's Maximum Depth: Probably to 5,000 ft. Note the large locomotive type boiler and single cylinder Acme steam engine, rated . . . — Map (db m86697) HM

28 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement