Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Milam County Texas Historical Markers

 
The Texas 36th Division Memorial Highway<br>and Bryant Station Markers image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, October 7, 2015
The Texas 36th Division Memorial Highway
and Bryant Station Markers
Texas (Milam County), Buckholts — 7939 — Bryant Station
Pioneer village of Milam County Established as an Indian trading post by Major Benjamin F. Bryant, frontiersman who had commanded a company in the Battle of San Jacinto. Appointed Indian agent in 1842 by Sam Houston President . . . — Map (db m90647) HM
Texas (Milam County), Buckholts — The Texas 36th Division Memorial Highway
Organized July 18, 1917 at Camp Bowie, Texas, the 36th Division was composed of National Guard units from the states of Texas and Oklahoma, and traced a part of its lineage to the Washington Guards of the Texas Revolution. During World War I, the . . . — Map (db m90646) HM WM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 7946 — First Girl's Tomato Club in Texas
The first Girl's Tomato Clubs in Texas were organized in 1912 in Milam County to acquaint young women in rural areas with tomato production and canning techniques. At the request of the United States Department of Agriculture, Mrs. Edna Westbrook . . . — Map (db m84662) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 14048 — Milam County Jail of 1895
When the 1875 Milam County Jailhouse grew too crowded in the 1890s, it was removed to make room for larger facilities. In March 1895, the Milam County Commissioners awarded a contract to the Pauly Jail Building and Manufacturing Company of St. . . . — Map (db m84663) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 8004 — Steamboat Washington Landed Here
In the winter of 1850-1851 with Captain Basil M. Hatfield, commander, the Steamboat Washington landed here with a shipment of merchandise from Washington-on-the-Brazos to J. W. McCown and Co., merchants at Cameron. The first, last and only . . . — Map (db m74414) HM
Texas (Milam County), Hearne — 7950 — Port Sullivan
Early important trade and educational center. Established by Augustus W. Sullivan in 1835. River navigation extended to this point for many years. The Austin-East Texas and the Houston-Waco roads crossed here. On this spot was located Port Sullivan . . . — Map (db m84664) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 17269 — Apache Pass River Crossing
The crossing over the San Xavier (San Gabriel) River in Milam county has been used as a passageway for centuries. Evidence shows that the area has been inhabited by humans for at least 10,000 years. During the eighteenth century, the land was . . . — Map (db m84807) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 13466 — International & Great Northern Railroad Passenger Depot
Three rail lines largely contributed to Rockdale's early commercial development, and of the three, the International & Great Northern (I&GN) made the biggest impact. This former I&GN passenger depot opened in 1906. It survived various changes to the . . . — Map (db m74421) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 13787 — Jewish Cemetery
The International & Great Northern Railroad reached the new town of Rockdale in January 1874. Among the early residents were brothers Benjamin and Joseph Lowenstein, who opened a mercantile from a tent before the railroad arrived. They and their . . . — Map (db m74398) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 12877 — La Recluta and La Escuelita
Jose Leal received six leagues of land in this area in 1833. In 1867, coal was discovered, and the railroad reached Rockdale in 1874. Not until 1890 did the first coal mine, owned by Herman Vogel, begin operation. Others opened, and more settlers . . . — Map (db m74393) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 13431 — Matinee Musical Club
In January 1909, Mary Ann (Coffield) Perry organized the Matinee Musical Club on the front porch of her home at this site. Pearl Cauthon served as the first president of the club, which met regularly to study and perform music. Yearbooks document . . . — Map (db m74412) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 12561 — Railroads in Rockdale
Rockdale owes its founding to the International & Great Northern rail line, along which the town was laid out in 1873-74. The railroad gave area farmers access to markets for their crops, and Rockdale became a shipping point for farmers and other . . . — Map (db m74406) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 14050 — Site of Mission San Francisco Xavier de Los Dolores
Established by Franciscan missionaries in 1749 with the hope of civilizing and christianizing the Coco, Mayeye, Orcoquiza, Karankawa, and other tribes of Indians. The martyrdom of Padre José Ganzabal and the circumstances connected therewith caused . . . — Map (db m84661) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 7988 — Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria
Established by Franciscan missionaries in 1749 with the hope of civilizing and christianizing the Coco, Mayeye, Orcoquiza, Karankawa, and other tribes of Indians. The martyrdom of Padre José Ganzabal and the circumstances connected therewith caused . . . — Map (db m84618) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 7990 — Site of the Mission San Ildefonso
Established by Franciscan missionaries in 1749 with the hope of civilizing and christianizing the Coco, Mayeye, Orcoquiza, Karankawa, and other tribes of Indians. The martyrdom of Padre José Ganzabal and the circumstances connected therewith caused . . . — Map (db m84617) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 17630 — The Kay Theater
In 1947, E.L. Bryan and the Foy Arrington family bought a surplus quonset hut, one of the thousands of the all-purpose metal buildings made during World War II. The hut was moved to Rockdale to become the core of the second movie theater in town. . . . — Map (db m74395) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement