Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Milam County Texas Historical Markers

 
The Texas 36th Division Memorial Highway<br>and Bryant Station Markers image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, October 7, 2015
The Texas 36th Division Memorial Highway
and Bryant Station Markers
Texas (Milam County), Buckholts — 7939 — Bryant Station
On U.S. 190 0.2 miles from County Road 104, on the right when traveling east.
Pioneer village of Milam County Established as an Indian trading post by Major Benjamin F. Bryant, frontiersman who had commanded a company in the Battle of San Jacinto. Appointed Indian agent in 1842 by Sam Houston President . . . — Map (db m90647) HM
Texas (Milam County), Buckholts — The Texas 36th Division Memorial Highway
On U.S. 190 0.2 miles east of County Road 104, on the right when traveling east.
Organized July 18, 1917 at Camp Bowie, Texas, the 36th Division was composed of National Guard units from the states of Texas and Oklahoma, and traced a part of its lineage to the Washington Guards of the Texas Revolution. During World War I, the . . . — Map (db m90646) HM WM
Texas (Milam County), Burlington — 7997 — Saint Michael's Catholic Church
On Church Avenue at Pecan Street, on the right when traveling south on Church Avenue.
Irish Catholic settlers first came to this area in 1875. The community, first called Irish Settlement, was served by visiting priests beginning in 1879. Eight families joined together in 1885 to build a church, which they dedicated to St. Michael. . . . — Map (db m117336) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 7937 — All Saints Episcopal Church
On North Travis Avenue at West 2nd Street, on the right when traveling south on North Travis Avenue.
Episcopal worship services were held in Cameron as early as 1860, though All Saints Episcopal Church was not organized as a mission until 1901. The Diocese of Texas purchased this property from A. J. and Jennie Dossett in 1906. This structure was . . . — Map (db m129326) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 7984 — Ben Milam
On East Main Street at South Central Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street.
(Front Panel) Milam (Right Panel) Benjamin Rush Milam born in Kentucky 1788. Soldier in the War of 1812. Trader with the Texas Comanche Indians 1818. Colonel in the Long Expedition in 1820. . . . — Map (db m129324) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 7946 — First Girl's Tomato Club in Texas
On South Fannin Ave at East Main Street, on the left when traveling south on South Fannin Ave.
The first Girl's Tomato Clubs in Texas were organized in 1912 in Milam County to acquaint young women in rural areas with tomato production and canning techniques. At the request of the United States Department of Agriculture, Mrs. Edna Westbrook . . . — Map (db m84662) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 16507 — First National Bank of Cameron
On North Houston Avenue at West 1st Street, on the right when traveling south on North Houston Avenue.
Two banks operated in Cameron prior to the establishment of the First National Bank. The Buckholts Exchange Commission, a small frontier deposit office, faltered during the Civil War, and the Milam County Bank closed during the panic of 1895. On . . . — Map (db m129325) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 7949 — First United Methodist Church of Cameron
On West 2nd Street at North Travis Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West 2nd Street.
This congregation began as part of the early Methodist missionary effort in Texas. A camp meeting was held in Milam County in 1841, four years after the first Methodist preachers came to Texas. By 1847, the Rev. Josiah Whipple had helped to organize . . . — Map (db m129327) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 7985 — Milam County
On North Travis Avenue (U.S. 77), on the right when traveling south.
A part of Robertson's colony in 1834 and a part of the municipality of Viesca, 1835. Created in 1836 and named for Benjamin Rush Milam killed Dec. 5, 1835, in San Antonio. When created, it contained one-sixth of the original land area of Texas. . . . — Map (db m129328) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — Milam County Courthouse
On East Main Street at South Fannin Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East Main Street.
Created in 1835, Milam County's original boundaries extended north and west to include parts of 34 current Texas counties. Government offices were at Nashville-on-the-Brazos and Caldwell before Cameron became county seat in 1846. Two frame buildings . . . — Map (db m129398) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — Milam County Courthouse
On South Central Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
This is the fourth structure to serve as the Milam County courthouse. The local Masonic Lodge laid the cornerstone for the building on July 4, 1891. Designed by architect A.O. Watson of Austin, the courthouse at one time featured a Second Empire . . . — Map (db m129399) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 14048 — Milam County Jail of 1895
On East Main Street at South Fannin Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street.
When the 1875 Milam County Jailhouse grew too crowded in the 1890s, it was removed to make room for larger facilities. In March 1895, the Milam County Commissioners awarded a contract to the Pauly Jail Building and Manufacturing Company of St. . . . — Map (db m84663) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 8006 — Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg(December 30, 1868 - November 15, 1946)
On East 1st Street at South Central Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East 1st Street.
Pioneer leader of Texas women in rural club work. While serving as principal of a school near Milano, Mrs. Trigg was asked by the United States Department of Agriculture in 1911 to supervise Texas' first Girls' Tomato Club. Her role included . . . — Map (db m129323) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 7947 — Site of First Home in Cameron
On North Lamar Avenue north of East 4th Street (U.S. 190), on the right when traveling north.
Boyhood home of L. S. "Sul" Ross (1838-1898), Texas Governor from 1887 to 1891. His father Shapley P. Ross, Indian agent and Ranger, built house after moving here about 1841; he chose this site because it had a good spring. L. S. Ross, who was a . . . — Map (db m129329) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 8004 — Steamboat Washington Landed Here
On U.S. 77/190 0.3 miles north of County Highway 2095, on the right when traveling north.
In the winter of 1850-1851 with Captain Basil M. Hatfield, Commander, the Steamboat Washington landed here with a shipment of merchandise from Washington-on-the-Brazos to J. W. McCown and Co., mer- chants at Cameron. The . . . — Map (db m74414) HM
Texas (Milam County), Gause — DAR Centennial Park
On U.S. 79, on the right when traveling west.
In 1936 the Sarah McCalla Chapter, DAR, of Cameron, created a park (about 3/4 mile upriver) at the site of Old Nashville, to commemorate the Texas State Centennial. The red rock DAR monument, to the left, was in that park which . . . — Map (db m129401) HM
Texas (Milam County), Gause — 7992 — Site of the Town of Nashville
On U.S. 79, on the right when traveling west.
Surveyed in the fall of 1835 as the capital of Robertson's colony Named for Nashville, Tennessee where Sterling C. Robertson and many of his colonists had formerly lived. Seat of justice Milam Municipality, 1836 Milam County, . . . — Map (db m129321) HM
Texas (Milam County), Gause — 7953 — The Town of Gause
On U.S. 190 east of Farm to Market Road 2095, on the right when traveling west.
William J. Gause (1829-1914), born in Alabama, moved to Texas in 1849, to the Brazos region in 1856, and to this locality in 1872. Buying lumber in Montgomery, he gave his friend Dan Fowler half in return for hauling it here. The two . . . — Map (db m129322) HM
Texas (Milam County), Hearne — 7950 — Port Sullivan
On County Road 259 0.9 miles north of Farm to Market Road 485, on the right when traveling north.
Early important trade and educational center. Established by Augustus W. Sullivan in 1835. River navigation extended to this point for many years. The Austin-East Texas and the Houston-Waco roads crossed here. On this spot was located Port Sullivan . . . — Map (db m84664) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 17269 — Apache Pass River Crossing
Near Farm to Market Road 908 at County Road 428, on the right when traveling west.
The crossing over the San Xavier (San Gabriel) River in Milam county has been used as a passageway for centuries. Evidence shows that the area has been inhabited by humans for at least 10,000 years. During the eighteenth century, the land was . . . — Map (db m84807) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 13466 — International & Great Northern Railroad Passenger Depot
On Main Street (County Route 908) at West Milam Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Three rail lines largely contributed to Rockdale's early commercial development, and of the three, the International & Great Northern (I&GN) made the biggest impact. This former I&GN passenger depot opened in 1906. It survived various changes to the . . . — Map (db m74421) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 13787 — Jewish Cemetery
On East White Avenue at Mulberry Street, on the right when traveling west on East White Avenue.
The International & Great Northern Railroad reached the new town of Rockdale in January 1874. Among the early residents were brothers Benjamin and Joseph Lowenstein, who opened a mercantile from a tent before the railroad arrived. They and their . . . — Map (db m74398) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 12877 — La Recluta and La Escuelita
On U.S. 79 0.2 miles west of Farm to Market Road 335, on the right when traveling west.
Jose Leal received six leagues of land in this area in 1833. In 1867, coal was discovered, and the railroad reached Rockdale in 1874. Not until 1890 did the first coal mine, owned by Herman Vogel, begin operation. Others opened, and more settlers . . . — Map (db m74393) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 13431 — Matinee Musical Club
On East Davilla Avenue at Green Street, on the left when traveling east on East Davilla Avenue.
In January 1909, Mary Ann (Coffield) Perry organized the Matinee Musical Club on the front porch of her home at this site. Pearl Cauthon served as the first president of the club, which met regularly to study and perform music. Yearbooks document . . . — Map (db m74412) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 12561 — Railroads in Rockdale
On Main Street at West Milam Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.
Rockdale owes its founding to the International & Great Northern rail line, along which the town was laid out in 1873-74. The railroad gave area farmers access to markets for their crops, and Rockdale became a shipping point for farmers and other . . . — Map (db m74406) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 14050 — Site of Mission San Francisco Xavier de Los Dolores
On Farm to Market Road 908 0.5 miles east of County Road 432, on the right when traveling west.
Established by Franciscan missionaries in 1749 with the hope of civilizing and christianizing the Coco, Mayeye, Orcoquiza, Karankawa, and other tribes of Indians. The martyrdom of Padre José Ganzabal and the circumstances connected therewith caused . . . — Map (db m84661) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 7988 — Site of the Mission Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria
On County Road 432 0.2 miles south of Farm to Market Road 908, on the left when traveling south.
Established by Franciscan missionaries in 1749 with the hope of civilizing and christianizing the Coco, Mayeye, Orcoquiza, Karankawa, and other tribes of Indians. The martyrdom of Padre José Ganzabal and the circumstances connected therewith caused . . . — Map (db m84618) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 7990 — Site of the Mission San Ildefonso
On County Road 429 0.3 miles south of Farm to Market Road 908, on the left when traveling south.
Established by Franciscan missionaries in 1749 with the hope of civilizing and christianizing the Coco, Mayeye, Orcoquiza, Karankawa, and other tribes of Indians. The martyrdom of Padre José Ganzabal and the circumstances connected therewith caused . . . — Map (db m84617) HM
Texas (Milam County), Rockdale — 17630 — The Kay Theater
On North Main Street (County Route 908) at East Davilla Avenue, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street.
In 1947, E.L. Bryan and the Foy Arrington family bought a surplus quonset hut, one of the thousands of the all-purpose metal buildings made during World War II. The hut was moved to Rockdale to become the core of the second movie theater in town. . . . — Map (db m74395) HM
Texas (Milam County), Sharp — 8003 — Sharp Presbyterian Church
On Farm to Market Road 487 at County Road 410, on the right when traveling west on Highway 487.
This church traces its history to 1872, when the Mt. Herman Cumberland Presbyterian Church was founded. It was divided into the Davilla and Leachville congregations in 1893. The Leachville church was renamed Sharp in 1902, the same year this . . . — Map (db m117611) HM

30 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement