Outgrowth of 1882 worship by laymen (mostly sheep-ranching Englishmen). Organized 1883 by The Rt. Rev. A.C. Garrett, pioneer Episcopal Bishop of Dallas, who listed this as "Grace Mission", with eight communicants.
With some assistance from New . . . — — Map (db m120154) HM
These tracks, originally formed in soft dirt, are taken from an ancient buffalo trail which once guided herds to water at Champion Creek (6 miles south).
Thousands of buffalo running single file pounded trails like this deep into the ground. . . . — — Map (db m73334) HM
Completion of The Westbrook Field T&P No. 1 oil well in 1920 signaled the beginning of commercial oil production in the Permian Basin. In the rush of oil activity that followed, the P.C. Coleman No. 1 Well was drilled on land owned by Dr. Preston C. . . . — — Map (db m119694) HM
In response to the need for a water supply system for Colorado, as this town was then known, the city's governing body issued waterwork bonds in 1884. The bond money was used to build this standpipe and to lay mains through which the city's water . . . — — Map (db m119817) HM
Built by Colorado Opera House Company, 1899-1900; second opera house in city, then cultural center of West Texas. Staged light opera, vaudeville, silent movies (after 1911); also hosted school programs.
Converted to boarding house in 1925, it . . . — — Map (db m120284) HM
In 1924, L. H. Pritchard and J. Steven Anderson opened West Texas Refinery Company just west of Colorado City to process Mitchell County Oil. Ownership soon changed to Standard Oil of California, which renamed the company Col-Tex Refining. From the . . . — — Map (db m120409) HM
In this vicinity
on a bank of the Colorado
October 21, 1840
a Comanche Indian village
was completely destroyed and much
stolen property recovered
including 500 horses
128 Indians were killed
34 were captured
The expedition . . . — — Map (db m73318) HM
Born in Tennessee. Graduated from University of Louisville (Ky.). Coming in 1883 to Colorado City, rode horseback or by buggy to ranches in 100-mile radius, practicing here rest of his life.
Religion, medicine, and education were his chief . . . — — Map (db m120153) HM
Built 1890 by H.D. Shepperd. Sold, 1899 to Martin Dies, Sr. Birthplace of Martin Dies, Jr., famous U.S. Congressman.
Home of colorful early-day ranch couple, G.W. and Alice Garrett Plaster, Mitchell County ranchers for over fifty years.
. . . — — Map (db m120155) HM
Founded as a mission station in 1881 by The Rev. George W. Baines (1809-1882), a former President of Baylor University and in 1880s a Baptist State Convention agent. The Rev. Peter Turner, an Englishmen, organized the church in 1882. . . . — — Map (db m120278) HM
Site given by John J. Handley (1842-1935), Confederate veteran who settled here in 1892, after living earlier in Georgia and in Smith and Comanche Counties, Texas. A farmer, he lived to see agriculture rival ranching.
Teville (named for "T" . . . — — Map (db m119703) HM
A prominent rancher and banker, John C. Prude (1856-1924) came to Mitchell County before the turn of the century. In 1907 he hired J.E. (Gene) Pond to construct this spacious brick house. The wide overhangs and other horizontal lines demonstrate the . . . — — Map (db m120279) HM
One of first brick houses here. Built 1883 by Mr. and Mrs. J.P. Hodgson, son-in-law and daughter of Gen. Tom Green, Texas hero. Later the home of Winfield Scott, millionaire rancher, and W.T. Scott, a promoter, T. & P. Railroad. Owned since 1902 by . . . — — Map (db m120283) HM
Settled after Indians left Texas in 1875. One of 128 counties created (Aug. 21, 1876) from Bexar Territory covering West Texas to the Panhandle and El Paso. Named for Mitchell Brothers, Asa and Eli, Texas War for Independence veterans. Organized . . . — — Map (db m120402) HM
Created 1876, from Bexar District. Named for Asa Mitchell, a soldier in Battle of Velasco, 1832, and member of consultation of 1835, and Eli, his brother, a soldier in battle at Gonzales, 1835. Organized 1881. Colorado City, County Seat, was 1880's . . . — — Map (db m120405) HM
Built in 1899 by rancher F.E. McKenzie; Victorian architecture features porch columns with spool trim and decorative wood "awnings" over the windows.
Sold in 1900 to A.B. Robertson, rancher; in 1912, to D.N. Arnett, retired manager of the . . . — — Map (db m120282) HM
Born in Georgia, migrated to Texas in the 1870's and joined the Texas Rangers in 1878.
Was noted for his part in gun battle with outlaw Sam Bass at Round Rock, where Bass had planned to rob the bank. It was Ware's bullet that gave Bass the . . . — — Map (db m119816) HM
Given to city 1929 in memory of pioneer William Penn Ruddick, farmer and dairyman, and Mrs. Ruddick.
History was made here even before Ruddick arrived, however. In 1840 Colonel John Henry Moore and 90 Indian fighters wiped out a Comanche . . . — — Map (db m73319) HM
This area, now covered by Lake Champion, was once the site of springs that originated from underground water which also supplied Champion Creek. They were called “wells” because the Seven Spring Basins closely resembled man-made wells. . . . — — Map (db m73335) HM
Founded in 1890 by D.T. Bozeman, teacher and merchant, on a Main Wagon Road, 16 miles northwest of Colorado (City).
Town was named for Bozeman's neighbor, T.T. Cuthbertson, first Postmaster was Mrs. Bozeman. A good well by Bozeman's General . . . — — Map (db m119701) HM
Rail service to Colorado City began on April 16, 1881, when a Texas & Pacific supply train arrived with materials for the construction of a freight and passenger depot in the town. Completed the following month at the foot of Oak Street, it was . . . — — Map (db m120406) HM
Railroad made this "Cattle Capital of West Texas" in 1880s. Cattlemen Frank Byler, Clay Mann, Winfield Scott, C.C. Slaughter and others brought herds here early as 1877, when last of the buffalo were being exterminated. A Texas Ranger unit was . . . — — Map (db m120407) HM
On the second Sunday of January, 1881, The Rev. O.F. Rogers, a Presbyterian minister and school teacher from Mississippi, preached the first sermon ever heard in Colorado (City). The congregation met in a saloon, only large place in the tent town. . . . — — Map (db m120280) HM
Founded, 1880, at the crossing of the Colorado River and Texas & Pacific Railroad right-of-way; central shipping point and supply depot for the sprawling cattle ranches of West Texas and New Mexico.
From 1880 (when A.W. Dunn opened his . . . — — Map (db m120403) HM
The first commercial discovery oil well in the Permian Basin was named for W.H. Abrams, leasing agent for the Texas and Pacific land trust. The well first produced oil in February 1920 at a depth of 450 feet; but in June 1920, a better showing of . . . — — Map (db m120414) HM
These two pioneer institutions, which began even before a town grew up here, were first housed in the same tiny, one-room building. The structure was erected in 1890 by local settlers when Westbrook was only a flag-stop on the Texas & Pacific Line. . . . — — Map (db m120410) HM
We dedicate this memorial to the courageous
men and women who have fought the battles
of this great nation.
We acknowledge the sacrifices
they make to protect our homeland.
With . . . — — Map (db m120412) WM