Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Montgomery County Texas Historical Markers

 
Conroe City Hall image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, May 13, 2018
Conroe City Hall
Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 7867 — Conroe
Established in the forest in 1881 as Isaac Conroe's sawmill, 2-1/2 mi. east of present site, at juncture of two railroads, first named Conroe's Switch; then Conroe's; in 1890, Conroe.

Lumbering brought prosperity. Chosen county seat in 1889. . . . — Map (db m117345) HM

Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 17662 — Conroe Fire of 1911
On February 21, 1911 around 1:30 in the morning, a fire broke out in the Capitol Drug Store on Chambers (today North Main) Street. The blaze was well underway before it was discovered and northerly winds began sweeping the flames southeastward . . . — Map (db m117347) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 12320 — Conroe Telephone Exchange
A long distance telephone line ran from Houston to Gilbert's Drug Store in Conroe before Mr. Gilbert and Albert Madeley began a local telephone exchange in the store in 1899. Soon after, George Madeley purchased the exchange, naming it Conroe . . . — Map (db m117348) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 17660 — Montgomery County Courthouses
The Montgomery County Courthouse in the center of downtown Conroe memorializes the remarkable history of one of the oldest counties in the state of Texas. Montgomery County is the third county created by the Republic of Texas, originally part of the . . . — Map (db m117350) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 7868 — The Isaac Conroe Property Temporary Montgomery County Courthouse
A native of New Jersey, Isaac Conroe (1834-1897) served with the Union army during the Civil War. Moving to Southeast Texas with his wife Margaret (Richardson) (1846-1896) in 1866, he lived at Lynchburg and Houston. In 1878 he built a sawmill at . . . — Map (db m117363) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 7903 — Charles Bellinger Stewart First Secretary of State in Texas (1806-1885) —
Came to Texas 1830. Secretary of State, Nov. 1835-Feb. 1836. Signed Declaration of Independence; helped to write Constitution of the Republic in 1836 and the State in 1845; served Montgomery County as District Attorney and three terms as State . . . — Map (db m128592) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 7874 — Davis Law Office
Built in 1845, this frame structure was first used for the law office and living quarters of Judge Nat Hart Davis. Many young attorneys read law here under Judge Davis' supervision. From 1848 to 1854 the structure was the meeting place for the Mayor . . . — Map (db m128598) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 7878 — First State Bank of Montgomery
One of first state banks in Texas. Chartered Dec. 11, 1906, it began operations in a frame building on lot south of here. Present building was finished 1908 and is now oldest existing commercial building in this once-thriving trade center. As the . . . — Map (db m128597) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 7865 — Former Homesite of Joseph L. Bennett
Joseph L. Bennett, who came to Texas in 1834 and settled in this area, joined the Texas army in early 1836. As captain of a company of local volunteers, he left this area about March 1, 1836, to lead his troops to aid Texan forces at the Alamo. Upon . . . — Map (db m56760) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 7906 — John M. Wade (1815-1879)
Born in New York City, John Marshall Wade left his home as a youth. On the advice of Sam Houston, he came to Texas in 1835 from the Western Creek Nation in present-day Oklahoma. He joined the Texas army during the War for Independence. At the Battle . . . — Map (db m128624) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 18408 — Lake Creek Settlement
Long before the arrival of Stephen F. Austin's colonists, the Coushatta Indians traveled through the lands that would become the Lake Creek Settlement upon the Coushatta Trace, a trade road from Louisiana into Texas. Located in Austin's second . . . — Map (db m128602) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 14184 — Methodist Church Site and Memorial to Pioneer Circuit Riders
West Face: Site of Methodist Church Organized by Littleton Fowler 1838 Isaac L.G. Strickland 1st Pastor South Face: 1839 - 1840 Moses Speer Born in Maryland Sept. 29, 1768 Died Robinson Settlement July 11, . . . — Map (db m128625) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 7877 — Methodist Parsonage
Site of First Methodist Parsonage of Texas Erected 1842 — Map (db m128622) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 7889 — Montgomery Baptist Church Building
Baptists in Montgomery organized a fellowship in 1850 and purchased land at this site the same year. In 1853, the Rev. Thomas Chilton became the church's first full-time pastor. This vernacular Gothic revival sanctuary was constructed in 1902, . . . — Map (db m128603) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery County Jail 1855 - 1889
The jail was built by Pauly Jail Company in St. Louis, Missouri. The cells were in a wooden-one room building that sat next to the courthouse which was located on this lot. The cells were moved down to the railroad depot after the courthouse was . . . — Map (db m129009) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 7890 — Montgomery County, C.S.A.
A wealthy farm area in 1861. In Civil War, supported Texas with goods, funds and men. 2 companies from here were in famed Hood's Texas Brigade; one company had only 9 men living by 1865. Young boys, old men and the partially disabled formed 5 home . . . — Map (db m128595) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 7873 — N. H. Davis Cottage
Home of Judge N. H. Davis and wife, Sarah E. White. Built 1851, from 1831 log house received as legal fee. Kitchen area attached 1880. Texanna Snow's school here 1881-1891. J. F. Davis added south wing in 1895. Still in family. . . . — Map (db m128600) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 7894 — Reuben Jonathan Palmer (January 18, 1829 - March 20, 1868)
Born in Appomattox County, Va., son of Reuben DeJarnette and Martha P. (Christian) Palmer; he was educated at Randolph-Macon College. Moved to Texas in 1856. A Montgomery lawyer; served in 9th Legislature, State of Texas, and in Secession . . . — Map (db m128620) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 14615 — Site of Montgomery United Methodist Church
Isaac L.G. Strickland established a Methodist congregation in Montgomery in 1838, under the direction of Elder Littleton Fowler of the Mississippi Methodist Conference. The church was one of the first in the Republic of Texas; Strickland was . . . — Map (db m128605) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 7887 — The Old Methodist Churchyard
In Jan. 1839, the Rev. Isaac Strickland organized a Methodist Church whose members soon built a log meetinghouse on this site donated by founders of the town of Montgomery. The churchyard came into use for burials during the 1840s. When Pastor G. W. . . . — Map (db m128618) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 7896 — The Railroad in Montgomery
Problems with transporting farm crops to market, along with the growing importance of rail transportation were major factors that prompted area businessmen to organize the Central and Montgomery (C&M) Railroad in 1877. Completed by 1880, the C&M . . . — Map (db m128627) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 7916 — Town of Montgomery
Founded in July, 1837 by W. W. Shepherd Incorporated in 1848 Montgomery County was created December 14, 1837 James Mitchell, Pleasant Gray, William Robinson, Elijah Collard Charles Barnett, Joseph L. Bennet Dr. B. B. Goodrich, D. D. . . . — Map (db m128594) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 7917 — William S. Taylor
A San Jacinto Veteran Died February 2, 1869 — Map (db m128619) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), New Caney — 7892 — New Caney
Permanent settlement in what is now New Caney began in the 1860s. The area was first called Presswood for the pioneer family of Austin and Sarah (Waters) Presswood. The Presswoods came to Texas in 1862, purchased land in the area, and raised cattle . . . — Map (db m117349) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Willis — 7909 — Site of Willis Cigar Factory
Following the Civil War, area farmers found the climate and soil conditions of Montgomery County were ideal for the production of tobacco. The varieties grown here were of the highest quality, winning international awards in Chicago and Paris. At . . . — Map (db m127478) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Willis — 7908 — Willis
Founded in 1870. Named for P. J. and R. S. Willis (large land and timber owners who formerly were merchants in area). They gave townsite, on the Houston & Great Northern Railroad. With the line came prosperity, and in 1874 Willis and Montgomery vied . . . — Map (db m127477) HM

26 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement