Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Morris County Texas Historical Markers

 
Caddo Trace Marker image, Touch for more information
Caddo Trace Marker
Texas (Morris County), Daingerfield — 7842 — Caddo Trace (1 MI. N.)
On State Highway 49/11 near Park Road 17.
Hunting and trade route for area between Arkansas and Red Rivers; used by Caddo Indians, who occupied the northeast corner of Texas and adjacent states.

Like many Indian trails, it was later usurped by whites; after 1840, it became part of stage . . . — Map (db m127837) HM

Texas (Morris County), Daingerfield — 7846 — Cumberland Presbyterian Church
On Broadnax Street (U.S. 259) at Taylor Street, on the right when traveling south on Broadnax Street.
Congregation traces its history to 1849, when area Presbyterians formally organized and began holding worship services in private homes. From 1852 to 1880, services were held in the Chapel Hill College building at this site. The congregation has . . . — Map (db m120017) HM
Texas (Morris County), Daingerfield — 7847 — Daingerfield, C. S. A.
Near West Scurry Street east of North Frazier Street, on the right when traveling east.
Civil War center for manufacturing, supply and travel. Place of enrollment of several Confederate army units. Local industries supporting the war effort included 3 tanyards--sidelines of the beef slaughtering trade that helped feed troops and . . . — Map (db m119459) HM
Texas (Morris County), Daingerfield — 7851 — Morris County
On Webb Street west of North Peters Street, on the right when traveling west.
Created and organized in 1875, with Daingerfield as county seat. Named for William W. Morris (1805-1883), who came to Texas in 1849, when the Civil War began in 1861, was in 8th Legislature that armed the state, enacted soldiers' families' relief . . . — Map (db m119468) HM
Texas (Morris County), Daingerfield — 7849 — Rev. Nathan S. Johnson
Near Lamar Street south of Cemetery Road, on the left when traveling south.
Born in Virginia in 1802, Nathan Johnson spent his boyhood years near Murfreesboro, Tennessee. In 1824 he was licensed to preach and served as a Methodist missionary to the Cherokee Indians and others in the Tennessee Conference. Johnson brought his . . . — Map (db m119476) HM
Texas (Morris County), Daingerfield — 7843 — Site of Chapel Hill College
On Broadnax Street (U.S. 259) at Taylor Street, on the right when traveling south on Broadnax Street.
Chartered 1850. Opened 1852 in brick building on land donated by Allen Urquhart, Republic of Texas surveyor. Founded by Marshall Presbytery of Cumberland Presbyterian Church, to educate ministers. Also offered courses in medicine, law and liberal . . . — Map (db m120016) HM
Texas (Morris County), Daingerfield — 7848 — Site of Hussey & Logan's Mill and Gin Factory (1855-1897)
On Coffey Street north of Taylor Street, on the right when traveling north.
Made machinery to process most important crops in Texas: gin saws to take seeds from cotton, for cloth-making; grist mills to grind corn into meal for bread. During Civil War, when mills or parts could not be imported, gave vital aid to Texas . . . — Map (db m119475) HM
Texas (Morris County), Daingerfield — 7859 — Veteran of the American Revolution James Thompson (1759-1841)
On Broadnax Street at Union Street, on the right when traveling south on Broadnax Street.
Ancestors of James Thompson lived in Virginia in the 17th century. Thompson served in Capt. Bynum's Company of North Carolina Militia in 1781, helping win victory in the American Revolution. In pioneer spirit, he and his family later moved to . . . — Map (db m119477) HM
Texas (Morris County), Lone Star — 13788 — Iron Bluff Cemetery
Near East Industrial Boulevard (Farm to Market Road 250) at North Main Street (U.S. 259) when traveling south.
Livingston Skinner (1795-1874) came to this part of Texas from Georgia in the early 1840s with his wife, Hedidah "Jodie" (Hughes) (1806-1881), and their children. The Iron Bluff Cemetery began as a family cemetery at the northwest corner of their . . . — Map (db m119844) HM
Texas (Morris County), Lone Star — 7857 — Site of Old Spearman's Ferry (1 mile west)
On U.S. 259 0.2 miles north of Lone Star Park Road, on the right when traveling north.
Operated along with a mill by E. B. Smith during the Republic of Texas. Bought by John Spearman in 1850. At this site in 1870 the state authorized a toll bridge. Fees ranged from 2 for a sheep to $1 for an 8-horse team and loaded wagon. This was at . . . — Map (db m119346) HM
Texas (Morris County), Snow Hill — 7856 — Snow Hill Baptist Church
On Snow Hill Road (County Road 1232) 0.2 miles west of State Route 49, on the right when traveling west.
Settlers began moving to this area, which they called Snow Hill, by the early 1840s. In 1852, local residents organized this congregation under the direction of the Rev. Samuel Morris. The first sanctuary, which also served as a community . . . — Map (db m120020) HM
Texas (Morris County), Snow Hill — 14248 — Snow Hill Cemetery
Near Snow Hill Road (County Road 1232) 0.2 miles west of State Route 49.
Snow Hill Cemetery Established 1870 Historic Texas CemeteryMap (db m120021) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement