Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Newton County Texas Historical Markers

 
Inman Cemetery Marker image, Touch for more information
July 5, 2019
Inman Cemetery Marker
Texas (Newton County), Bon Weir — 15701 — Inman Cemetery
Inman Cemetery was created in 1914 when Laura Inman Hughes died shortly after giving birth and was buried at this site. Laura was the granddaughter of W.H. and Martha Stark, who had been granted land in the area in 1859, and she was buried on . . . — Map (db m136250) HM
Texas (Newton County), Bon Wier — 11103 — Bon Wier
W. H. Stark settled here in 1836 and established a ferry and warehouse business on the Sabine River known as Stark's Landing. It served as a wharf for steamboats and a point from which large quantities of timber were rafted to sawmills . . . — Map (db m136677) HM
Texas (Newton County), Burkeville — 11108 — Cade Building
To create jobs and bring county services nearer to residents of this area, Newton County officials provided materials and the U.S. Works Progress Administration (WPA) the funds to pay laborers to construct this building in 1940-41. Named for Harrier . . . — Map (db m107227) HM
Texas (Newton County), Burkeville — 11107 — Site of Old Burr’s Ferry — (At Highway Bridge)
An important communications point between Texas and the United States, especially during settlement era of early 1800’s. Named for Dr. Timothy Burr (1790-1852), second cousin of U.S. Vice President Aaron Burr. Dr. Burr is said to have come to . . . — Map (db m107228) HM
Texas (Newton County), Call — 12844 — Call
Map (db m136883) HM
Texas (Newton County), Call — 11110 — Call Church of God in Christ
The Call Church of God in Christ was established in 1915 under the leadership of Elder W. G. Law. Land for a church building was deeded by A. C. and Coella Armstrong in 1935. The name of the church was changed to Call Community Center Church of God . . . — Map (db m136725) HM
Texas (Newton County), Deweyville — 11111 — Deweyville
Original site, called "Possum Bluff," was purchased for $200 by Pierre Lavine from H.L. Morrison in 1886. The Sabine Tram Company purchased the land in 1897 from G. Smyth and a sawmill was built shortly thereafter. The mill soon became the center . . . — Map (db m136232) HM
Texas (Newton County), Mayflower — 14718 — Mattox Cemetery
Wade Hampton Mattox came to this area from Florida prior to 1850. His grave, dating to the 1860s, is the first marked in the cemetery, established close to the house in keeping with Mattox tradition. The burial ground later served the Survey . . . — Map (db m107225) HM
Texas (Newton County), Mayflower — 11097 — The Old Beef Road
Early 19th Century trade routes across the Sabine River were few, and served all travelers and traders. The Beef Road, which replaced earlier “Zavala Road”, was an important route by 1840, crossing this area. Named for cattle trade, it . . . — Map (db m107172) HM
Texas (Newton County), Mayflower — 11147 — The Survey Community
William Williams, an early 1800s Sabine Valley pioneer, obtained a large land grant in 1834 from the Republic of Mexico. His surveyed land attracted settlers, who called the location “The Survey”. In 1847 Wade H. Mattox (1800 – . . . — Map (db m107226) HM
Texas (Newton County), Newton — 11082 — Autrey-Williams House
The home of several leading Newton County businessmen, this house was constructed in 1912 by turpentine producer L. M. Autrey. In 1918 he sold it to N. A. Dawson, a road contractor. From 1923 to 1979 it was the home of lumberman and civic leader . . . — Map (db m137041) HM
Texas (Newton County), Newton — 11115 — Ford Chapel, Cemetery, and School
The family of John H. and Margaret Ford came to Texas prior to 1880. Establishing farms and homes, the family helped settle this area of Newton County.

A community cemetery was begun on the land of J. D. and Ida J. Ford. Although the cemetery . . . — Map (db m137262) HM

Texas (Newton County), Newton — Historic Roadside Park
The picnic area on US 190 in Newton County is an early roadside park developed by the Texas Highway Department -- now Texas Department of Transportation. This 1936 park accommodated motorists attending the State's Centennial events that year. It . . . — Map (db m136971) HM
Texas (Newton County), Newton — 13531 — Newton Cemetery — Historic Texas Cemetery
This cemetery has served the town of Newton since it was officially set aside in 1903. The first burial, however, dates to 1864, when the landowner, G.W. Robinson, buried his young son. After Robinson passed away, a Newton resident bought the land . . . — Map (db m137153) HM
Texas (Newton County), Newton — 11120 — Newton County
. . . — Map (db m136727) HM
Texas (Newton County), Newton — 11121 — Newton County Courthouse
This Courthouse was preceded by one built in Burkeville in 1848, and another erected on this public square in 1853. It is a Second Empire style edifice, with an unusual truncated clock tower, mansard roof, and corner quoins, built in 1902-03 by . . . — Map (db m128586) HM
Texas (Newton County), Newton — 16330 — Newton County Pre-War Maneuvers
By 1941, the U.S. military was painfully aware of its unpreparedness to combat the modern mechanized armies in Europe. To increase its combat effectiveness, the U.S. Army conducted the Louisiana maneuvers, which included 3,400 square miles of Texas. . . . — Map (db m128588) HM
Texas (Newton County), Newton — 11145 — Newton County, C.S.A.
Supply and military center in the Civil War. Target area for Federals trying to move up the Sabine or across Louisiana and take Texas. Confederates built breastworks and maintained arsenal at Burkeville. Major supply route, "The Old Beef Trail", . . . — Map (db m137156) HM
Texas (Newton County), Newton — 11122 — Town of Newton
Located in the easternmost county of Texas, this town was little more than a forest of oaks and beeches when laid out in 1853. Due to its central location, it was elected county seat the same year, winning over Burkeville, the former county seat. . . . — Map (db m128587) HM
Texas (Newton County), Newton — 11116 — W. H. Ford Male & Female College
Formerly W. H. Ford Male & Female College (1889-1906). Named for Secretary of the Southwest College Company. President Joseph Syler and his wife were the teachers. High-school level, as were many early Texas "colleges"; founded . . . — Map (db m128589) HM
Texas (Newton County), Newton — 11100 — William Blewett — (1830-1862)
Georgia native William Blewett came to Texas with his family in 1849. They settled first in Jasper County, where he was District Surveyor about 1853. He married a cousin, Nancy Adams; they later became the parents of 6 children. In 1858 they moved . . . — Map (db m128590) HM
Texas (Newton County), Newton — 15640 — Woods Park — (Newton County Fairgrounds)
In 1937, the Southwestern Settlement and Development Company deeded land to Newton County. This property would become known as Woods Park, named for the company's surveyor, C.A. Woods. County resident sused the park for recreation and soon the . . . — Map (db m137150) HM
Texas (Newton County), Trout Creek — 11136 — Swift Cemetery — (2.7 Miles East)
The trading village of Salem was founded in 1835 by Seth Swift. A Quaker and whaling merchant, Swift had moved to this area from Massachusetts with his wife, Lydia, and six children. When Lydia died about 1852, Swift set aside an acre of land for a . . . — Map (db m136287) HM
Texas (Newton County), Trout Creek — 11138 — Trout Creek Cemetery
Originally a part of the James West Survey, this cemetery dates to the early 1860s. The land was later owned by Mrs. Frances Ann Dyer (d.1890), and upon her death was inherited by her daughter Udora Dyer Ratcliff (1862-1898) and son-in-law K. R. . . . — Map (db m136635) HM
Texas (Newton County), Trout Creek — 12962 — Trout Creek Missionary Baptist Church
Trout Creek Missionary Baptist Church Local oral tradition holds that the Trout Creek Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1876. An early church building had that year inscribed on it, and the congregation celebrated its centennial in 1976. . . . — Map (db m136642) HM

25 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement